Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 05:38 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times

Advertisements

Yeah, Miami made it to the finals in the 1st year. It's not as if Wade, James and Bosh have made it to 5 finals and lost 5 times. They made it once together and lost once. They're only 0-1 together, it doesn't indicate in any way some NBA Finals losing pattern that can't be overcome. They're not the Buffalo Bills of the 90's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I wouldn't call the 96/97 rocket season, "well past" their peak.

Olajuwon was coming off of 2 Finals MVPs. He averaged 23 a game. Barkley averaged 19.2 a game, 13.5 rebounds? Drexler averaged 18 a game.

Plus the rockets had a good supporting cast...i.e. mario elie. Remember the intangibles coming together when the rockets won 2 titles in 94 and 95? Cassell, Horry, Kenny Smith.

Pippen was still NBA all defensive first team when he was with the rockets in 98/99. The lockout probably threw off everyones numbers that year.

I think it shows, nothing is really guaranteed in the NBA. You can go your entire career without winning a title (Karl Malone, second most points all time). You can get traded to some talented teams (barkley to the suns and rockets).

Dwayne Wade is already 30. Another 3-4 years, he's going to be the same age that Drexler was in 96. The next 3-4 years for the heat are going to be very interesting.
Dwade may be 30 but LeBron and Bosh are only 27 and 28 respectively. By the time Dwade's age and game hits where Kobe is now, LeBron will only be 30 by then. That's the thing with Miami, the 3-4yr age discrepancies should keep them at least contenders after they win the 1st 3.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:52 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,177 times
The true test for the Heat will come in the playoffs---have they or will they mold their style of play for playoff basketball.

The free wheeling and open space hoops usually ends some place in the playoffs. The past three years or so, in my opinion, Lebron has trouble adjusting to the more physical and pounding nature of the playoffs. He is not chucking up threes this year, and appears a little more under control.

If this trend continues the Heat may be on the verge-----but time will tell----they have to get past a physical Chicago team, and when the Bulls get Deng back they will be tougher.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
The true test for the Heat will come in the playoffs---have they or will they mold their style of play for playoff basketball.

The free wheeling and open space hoops usually ends some place in the playoffs. The past three years or so Lebron has trouble adjusting to the more physical and pounding nature of the playoffs. He is not chucking up threes this year, and appears a little more under control.

If this trend continues the Heat may be on the verge-----but time will tell----they have to get past a physical Chicago team, and when the Bulls get Deng back they will be tougher. Lets keep an eye on the Heat and see if they dont go back to free lancing-----I have a feeling that Riley and Lebron have had some discussions on this subject.
Chicago has the same problems they had last year. Drose is their only consistent offense. At least this Heat team isn't the same as last years. This Chicago team is exactly the same. Anytime you hold Dwade to minimal scoring and still can't beat Miami, you'll never beat Miami in a 7-game series unless you get a consistent 2nd scorer.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:24 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,177 times
The Bulls did add Richard Hamilton------he has provided additional scoring for them.

I still agree with you that consistent scoring may still be a problem for the Bulls----a Bulls-Heat playoff matchup will be a slugfest.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:18 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,983 times
The Heat should be concerned with D.Wade's continuing subpar play against the Bulls. This goes back quite a few years, to when Shaq was on the team. I don't know if he softens up playing against his hometown team, but the Heat are going to need him playing much better than we saw in last year's playoffs or this past Sunday's game, if they're going to continue being successful against Chicago. The Bulls are a year older, and because their core is still young, a year better.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:33 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Although I think the Heat do have a good chance of winning a championship, I don't think people realize how much of a blown opportunity it was for them to lose the championship last year. In order to get to that point, everything has to work out right. You have to be healthy, playing well at that time, have good coaching, and have some favorable matchups. Championship don't just come. I don't care how good you are, you need a little bit more than talent to have a chance. Look at Dallas, they were fortunate that they faced a flat Lakers team in the second round. People forget how horrible they were in the first round including losing an 18-point lead to the Blazers. If they had faced someone like Memphis in the second round, they might not have had a chance.

Who's to say everything will pan out again for Miami? Is Wade going to be healthy? Without him they have no shot. What about their bench? Who is going to be able to contribute? Do they have enough size to guard bigger teams? Can you imagine the road they would have to the finals this year if they had to face someone like Indiana, Atlanta or Orlando, all of which would give them major match up issues. I just think that we need to take it a day at a time with this team. Too much can go wrong for this team just to have an easy road to keep going back to the Finals.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:08 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,983 times
Meatkins, you speak to a point that I've said before: Lebron played the finals last year like he expects to be there the next 8 years, so losing this one is no big deal. As you said, beyond having the talent, alot of thing have to go right for you to make the finals and win the title. It certainly is no guarantee, even for a team as gifted as the Heat, which is what disappointed me about Lebron's play. No-one can convince me that he laid it all on the line against Dallas.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:23 AM

78,404 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Dwade may be 30 but LeBron and Bosh are only 27 and 28 respectively. By the time Dwade's age and game hits where Kobe is now, LeBron will only be 30 by then. That's the thing with Miami, the 3-4yr age discrepancies should keep them at least contenders after they win the 1st 3.
Bwah hah hah hah! After they win their first 3? Good luck with that.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:27 AM

78,404 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
The Bulls did add Richard Hamilton------he has provided additional scoring for them.

I still agree with you that consistent scoring may still be a problem for the Bulls----a Bulls-Heat playoff matchup will be a slugfest.
Boozer is also playing MUCH better. His early season injury last year I think took longer to recover from than we knew.

Basically, the Bulls got noticeably better since last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball