U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 06:49 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,416,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
The best thing about this is they both play the same position. Even Magic and Bird didn't match-up against each other except on a defensive switch, but with Durant and James both playing SF we should be in for some nice mano-a-mano matchups in the coming seasons.
Good point... didnt really think about that angle. I like the idea even more now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 05:20 PM

2,800 posts, read 1,772,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
He wasn't robbed, Durant didn't get the MVP because the Thunder lost the number 1 spot in the west to the spurs
Yet the Heat did not have the best record in the East nice double standard.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:39 PM

3,441 posts, read 5,007,893 times
Durant and Westbrook are some of the most over hyped and over pushed players ever.

I mean just because they score on every possession doesn't mean they are the best ever.

I hope either the Lakers or Spurs beat them. Over hyped trash.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:05 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,165,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
Durant and Westbrook are some of the most over hyped and over pushed players ever.

I mean just because they score on every possession doesn't mean they are the best ever.

Really?lol

Old 05-17-2012, 09:48 PM

52,066 posts, read 41,881,580 times
Quote:

Can anyone spot the average Lakers fan in the crowd? Can you?

Old 05-18-2012, 01:33 PM

2,800 posts, read 1,772,490 times
Quote:

Maybe we should say that about Lebron and Wade seems to fit better.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:02 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,416,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
My expectation is that Durant and Lebron will battle each other for not only MVP's over the next 3-5 years but also NBA Championships. I could see this year being the start of a big time Thunder vs Heat rivalry parallel to the Bird vs Magic, Celics vs Lakers monumental rivalry of the 80's.

Or maybe I'm just rooting for that to unfold as a backdrop for the NBA to ascend...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
The best thing about this is they both play the same position. Even Magic and Bird didn't match-up against each other except on a defensive switch, but with Durant and James both playing SF we should be in for some nice mano-a-mano matchups in the coming seasons.
Looks like this may come to fruition... would be a fabulous finals if so!!!

Old 06-05-2012, 07:02 AM

9,349 posts, read 5,577,302 times
Yeah, that would be a great series. And it would be exactly what Stern wants, his two newest superstars going head to head.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:14 AM

52,066 posts, read 41,881,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Consider this:
-In the past 13 years the award has gone to.....11 first seeds and 2 second seeds in their respective conference.
-8 of the 13 teams had the best record in the entire NBA, 3 of them had the 2nd best. Kobe won his as the #1 seed with 3rd best record. Nash won his 2nd one as the #2 seed with 4th best record which IMO is clearly the biggest split-vote fluke win in the history of the award.

So essentially, your team HAS to be a 1-2 seed and in 8 of the 13 last seasons it went to the team with the best ending record.
Bumped to update that 9 of the last 14 seasons the MVP has gone to the team with the best record.

I think in the history of the MVP award no team with worse than the 4th best record has won the award.

So if you want to win MVP....better finish with one of the top 2 records in the league.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:21 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,884,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

I think in the history of the MVP award no team with worse than the 4th best record has won the award.
The Bulls were 50-32 when MJ won in 1988, which was tied for 7th best record that year. I think that speaks to two issues, MJ's transcendent talent and ability won over the voters and the voting criteria appears to have changed over the years. As you said, without a top 3 record nowadays you're not likely to win MVP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball