U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 11:22 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,313,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
I'm surprised Lin had the courage to go for the game winning shot. Especially with such little experience in this area. Most players (Lebron) would be nervous in this type of situation with the game on the line. That's the type of fire that stars like Kobe possess.
Probably because he feel it's his team-LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 07:51 AM

51,945 posts, read 41,806,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Don't nobody give a SHET about turnovers when you score 27 and hit the game winning three
Lin would disagree with you.

He knows he needs to tighten it up and let's face it, the raptors are awful and most every other team beats them if they play like that.

It's going to be a bumpy ride for the Knicks as they re-integrate Melo and Amare with Lin but I think they may actually pull it off. I get the feeling that Chandler has bought 100% in on Lin already and that sets a tone because he is a respected player.

I still can't believe I'm following the Knicks.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:09 AM

530 posts, read 2,590,419 times
As Bill Rafferty would say, Lin's shot last night took ONIONS! Really impressive clutch shot. That being said, let's not forget that his play took a real step down last night, despite the impressive numbers. And also, Toronto is horrible and didn't have their best player. Also, can't believe they didn't call a foul on Chandler on the block at the other end. Still, a win is a win and as a fan, I will take it.

I'm almost as impressed by Shumpert's steal at end of the game. Really impressive play for a rookie. Nice win.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:30 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,609,608 times
Jeremy Lin is coming down to earth a little and he will continue to do so as players figure him out. But let's not forget that Lin can and will make adjustments of his own - he hasn't even had the opportunity to play, so his on court level of experience still needs time to mature.

I think Lin is for real. Will he score at this pace night in and night out? Probably not, but if he can be a guy who scores maybe 15 per night and distributes the ball well; if he can be the guy who's good enough offensively from the perimeter to force the defenses to move out and allow players like Stoudamire to have more access down low, then he will have done his job in making the Knicks a far more competitive team than they ever were with Melo.

I think that for D'Antoni and the Knicks, the return of Stoudamire was never an issue - Stoudamire's a team concept player and that's why D'Antoni brought him in, because their experience in Phoenix. It's Melo that is the big question mark here: Does he transform and finally mature into the player and fill the role they're asking him to, or does he become the next Stephon Marbury?

Old 02-15-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Jeremy Lin is coming down to earth a little and he will continue to do so as players figure him out. But let's not forget that Lin can and will make adjustments of his own - he hasn't even had the opportunity to play, so his on court level of experience still needs time to mature.

I think Lin is for real. Will he score at this pace night in and night out? Probably not, but if he can be a guy who scores maybe 15 per night and distributes the ball well; if he can be the guy who's good enough offensively from the perimeter to force the defenses to move out and allow players like Stoudamire to have more access down low, then he will have done his job in making the Knicks a far more competitive team than they ever were with Melo.

I think that for D'Antoni and the Knicks, the return of Stoudamire was never an issue - Stoudamire's a team concept player and that's why D'Antoni brought him in, because their experience in Phoenix. It's Melo that is the big question mark here: Does he transform and finally mature into the player and fill the role they're asking him to, or does he become the next Stephon Marbury?
Excellent post.

Melo's legacy is on the line right here.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:50 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Lin would disagree with you.

He knows he needs to tighten it up and let's face it, the raptors are awful and most every other team beats them if they play like that.

It's going to be a bumpy ride for the Knicks as they re-integrate Melo and Amare with Lin but I think they may actually pull it off. I get the feeling that Chandler has bought 100% in on Lin already and that sets a tone because he is a respected player.

I still can't believe I'm following the Knicks.
Well Lin has to say that but the fans and media won't make a big deal about it since he put up 27 and hit a game winner. Turnovers are only a problem when the team LOSES

Old 02-15-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Well Lin has to say that but the fans and media won't make a big deal about it since he put up 27 and hit a game winner. Turnovers are only a problem when the team LOSES
The fans and media are largely idiots.

Lin isn't *having* to say it for any reason other than it's true and a guy like Lin didn't get where he is by being dishonest about self-assessment and not working to improve.

I give him a "B" for his performance and most of the rest of the Knicks get a lower grade.

P.S. Low turnovers may be the single most important factor in the 76ers success so far this season. Well, besided playing tons of games at home.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:00 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The fans and media are largely idiots.

Lin isn't *having* to say it for any reason other than it's true and a guy like Lin didn't get where he is by being dishonest about self-assessment and not working to improve.

I give him a "B" for his performance and most of the rest of the Knicks get a lower grade.

P.S. Low turnovers may be the single most important factor in the 76ers success so far this season. Well, besided playing tons of games at home.
I mean of course it's something Lin has to improve because you don't want to be in the habit of having 8 turnovers every game. But last night was not the night to dwell on it because he played a huge role in the team winning by scoring 12 pts in the 4th qtr and hitting a game winning shot.

BTW: The sixers FORCED turnovers which is called good defense

Old 02-15-2012, 02:21 PM

40,056 posts, read 30,532,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
I'm almost as impressed by Shumpert's steal at end of the game. Really impressive play for a rookie. Nice win.
Yeah, Lin is getting all the press, but Shumpert could turn out to be a real find. Just think...two months ago, nobody gave a second glance to either one of them. Yet they'll be the reason why Anthony doesn't remain in New York for long.

I may have to stop having treasonous thoughts about rooting for the Brooklyn Nets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball