U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 09:31 AM

51,862 posts, read 41,765,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I find it difficult to argue on the internet, remember English is not my 1st language so it's not that easy to debate with a American Bulls fan (as hard as that is already).

I need my mouth and my hands (no homo lol) to win a debate.

If you miss more than 20% of the games in a season i would call that a bad/unhealthy season, 10-19% = average, if you missed under 10% i would call that a good/healthy season.
My point would be that by shifting the definitions by a few games you can make either guy look better or worse.

Regardless, it's moot.

I readily acknowledge that MOST people would value Carmelo as the better of the two BUT currently I no longer feel Carmelo's offense is good enough to outweigh Deng's superiority in most of the other facets of the game.

Carmelo had a typical night last night, 26pts....but it took him 26 shots to get that.

The Bulls shot almost 53% from the field and Kyle Korver (who?) scored 16pts on 7 shots for the Bulls at SF with Deng and Rip still on the injured list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 01:52 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,641,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
My point would be that by shifting the definitions by a few games you can make either guy look better or worse.

Regardless, it's moot.

I readily acknowledge that MOST people would value Carmelo as the better of the two BUT currently I no longer feel Carmelo's offense is good enough to outweigh Deng's superiority in most of the other facets of the game.

Carmelo had a typical night last night, 26pts....but it took him 26 shots to get that.

The Bulls shot almost 53% from the field and Kyle Korver (who?) scored 16pts on 7 shots for the Bulls at SF with Deng and Rip still on the injured list.
You can't compare Kyle Korver to Carmelo Anthony. You're comparing a guy who has almost all of his shots set up by his point guard and other players compared to a player who is expected to score in any possible situation. Melo is going to shoot more because that is his game. If Kyle Korver wasn't that efficient he probably wouldn't have a job. I mean if he can't shoot, what else could he possibly do well?

Old 02-03-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
You can't compare Kyle Korver to Carmelo Anthony. You're comparing a guy who has almost all of his shots set up by his point guard and other players compared to a player who is expected to score in any possible situation. Melo is going to shoot more because that is his game. If Kyle Korver wasn't that efficient he probably wouldn't have a job. I mean if he can't shoot, what else could he possibly do well?
All good points. I was mostly making a dig at Melo's defense.

The bottom line is that Melo is not a good defender but has historically been a 26+ ppg guy that shot 46% or so from the field.

10-26 from the field is going to lose your team a lot of games.

P.S. I'd never ever compare 2 players over a single game anyway....I remember watching Rex Chapman torch Jordan's butt one night by shooting something like 9-10 from the 3pt arc.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:

The bottom line is that Melo is not a good defender but has historically been a 26+ ppg guy that shot 46% or so from the field.

P.S. I'd never ever compare 2 players over a single game anyway....I remember watching Rex Chapman torch Jordan's butt one night by shooting something like 9-10 from the 3pt arc.
That I definitely agree with. I always get in arguments with my brother about his defense. When it's all said and done, Melo is going to be known as a stats guy. He is not a player to build a franchise around. I think NY made a horrible decision putting him and Amare together. You can't have to franchise players who don't play defense and a coach who doesn't preach defense and expect to win.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:

Are you from the DC Area? Chapman was a baller when he played for the Bullets though.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Are you from the DC Area? Chapman was a baller when he played for the Bullets though.
Oh, Chapman could play, no doubt about that! But I *THINK* he might have been playing for Miami etc. when he did it....now Im curious.

I used to live in Chicago. I probably watched over 75% of the Bulls games back when I lived there. The year they went 72-10 I hate to guess how many of those games I watched....90%?

Oh, I found it....he was with Miami 1 year. Game Chicago their 6th loss of the season....to go with thier 48 wins. Dear lord that's brutal lol.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...602230MIA.html

Old 02-04-2012, 04:50 PM

4,399 posts, read 9,052,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I personally have no problem with the all star voting being a popularity contest, it's fun for the fans.

But apparently Carmelo Anthony will start for the East, meanwhile the guy he was traded for (among others) is fast becoming his equal or better (Galinari), winning more games too. So we certainly wouldn't want GMs making all star decisions.
Gallinari isn't and will never be close to as good melo.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Gallinari isn't and will never be close to as good melo.
You mean currently or at their peaks? I think that produces 2 different answers.

Remember, you can destroy your own team while scoring 30pts.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:20 PM

4,399 posts, read 9,052,070 times
Quote:
You mean currently or at their peaks? I think that produces 2 different answers.

Remember, you can destroy your own team while scoring 30pts.
They produce the same answer. Melo as a rookie even in college was a vastly superior player to Gallinari.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:42 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,878,050 times
Superior is a subjective term here: Melo is obviously the more talented and prolific player, but being a better individual player doesn't always translate to team success. Steve Francis and Stephon Marbury were two of the most talented Point Guards of the last 15 years, but just about every team they left wound up better off without them. Melo is 'better' individually than any one player on the Nuggets, but as a team they're better off now than a year and a half ago; The Knicks are 'worse' than last year with Melo fully entrenched in the lineup, and with the addition of Tyson Chandler. Right now, there's a very convincing argument to be made that having Carmelo Anthony on your team doesn't translate to winning Basketball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or