U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 02:23 PM

51,928 posts, read 41,798,494 times

Advertisements

So, in recent years the all-star game has become a joke....especially with the rash of on-line Chinese voting for Yao and of course T-mac....even when they weren't playing.

Wondering which undeserving schlubs are going to make the all-star game this year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 03:00 PM

10,424 posts, read 12,419,193 times
internet voting finished on January 31, the starters will be announced live during a special TNT show on February 2.

Starters are already locked, they had so many more votes than all the other players...

EAST:
Rose-Wade-Anthony-James-Howard

WEST:
Paul-Bryant-Durant-Griffin-Bynum

NBA Coaches (don't know if it's every NBA coach or just the ones who are coaching the all-star teams that year) will select the 7 players coming of the bench, next week

Old 02-01-2012, 03:34 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,647,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
internet voting finished on January 31, the starters will be announced live during a special TNT show on February 2.

Starters are already locked, they had so many more votes than all the other players...

EAST:
Rose-Wade-Anthony-James-Howard

WEST:
Paul-Bryant-Durant-Griffin-Bynum

NBA Coaches (don't know if it's every NBA coach or just the ones who are coaching the all-star teams that year) will select the 7 players coming of the bench, next week

Old 02-01-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
The center position isn't exactly strong in the league...especially the west.

I look more at Carmelo and go WTF....lol

Old 02-01-2012, 10:59 PM

297 posts, read 340,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
You know for Centers he is the second leading scorer and second leading rebounder behind only Howard who leads in both categories.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:33 AM

10,136 posts, read 11,647,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The center position isn't exactly strong in the league...especially the west.

I look more at Carmelo and go WTF....lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobrandon View Post
You know for Centers he is the second leading scorer and second leading rebounder behind only Howard who leads in both categories.
I know, I know, I just look at that and wonder what has happened to the center position that he is a shoe-in to start in the All-star game. He's having a good year, but he really has no competition.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:51 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,970,651 times
Quote:
So, in recent years the all-star game has become a joke....especially with the rash of on-line Chinese voting for Yao and of course T-mac....even when they weren't playing.

Wondering which undeserving schlubs are going to make the all-star game this year?
I personally have no problem with the all star voting being a popularity contest, it's fun for the fans.

But apparently Carmelo Anthony will start for the East, meanwhile the guy he was traded for (among others) is fast becoming his equal or better (Galinari), winning more games too. So we certainly wouldn't want GMs making all star decisions.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I personally have no problem with the all star voting being a popularity contest, it's fun for the fans.

But apparently Carmelo Anthony will start for the East, meanwhile the guy he was traded for (among others) is fast becoming his equal or better (Galinari), winning more games too. So we certainly wouldn't want GMs making all star decisions.
Agree 100%.

That's why I always refer to all-nba teams as a better measure of ability...although some of those are a little jacked up too.

Melo still has a lot of 'cuse and college fans too as he is a final-4 legend.

Plus, you still get a lot of foreign votes and kids etc.

To quote Winston Churchill, "the best argument against a democracy is a 5 minute conversation with a typical voter."

Old 02-02-2012, 09:55 AM

10,424 posts, read 12,419,193 times
Quote:
Agree 100%.

That's why I always refer to all-nba teams as a better measure of ability...although some of those are a little jacked up too.

Melo still has a lot of 'cuse and college fans too as he is a final-4 legend.

Plus, you still get a lot of foreign votes and kids etc.

To quote Winston Churchill, "the best argument against a democracy is a 5 minute conversation with a typical voter."
Why are you blaming foreigners and kids that Melo is starting in the ASG?
If he played for the Bucks/Cavs/Raptors/Bobcats or any team in the West he wouldn't be there.
If you put up 20+ points every game, playing for the Knicks AND you were born in New York you already have 1 million votes for sure.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Why are you blaming foreigners and kids that Melo is starting in the ASG?
If he played for the Bucks/Cavs/Raptors/Bobcats or any team in the West he wouldn't be there.
If you put up 20+ points every game, playing for the Knicks AND you were born in New York you already have 1 million votes for sure.
I'm blaming foreign voting because a lot of the voters are:
a) Chinese
b) Don't follow the NBA much and so just go on name recognition.

Ditto for the *kids* because quite often they are clueless and look at ppg and not his sub 40% FG rate and the Knicks dismal start.

It's kinda like "oh, I heard of that guy"....vote.

P.S. Playing for the Knicks isn't going to get you a bunch of automatic votes. We covered that in a thread here a couple years back when the Knicks had a loooooong dry spell of all-star game appearances and David Lee had to be SELECTED by the coaches to get in.

I point to Tracy mcGrady who kept going to all-star games despite not playing because millions of chinese voters knew his name because he was good when he played along side Yao. Pure name recognition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or