U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 08:39 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,655,457 times

Advertisements

How did this man get selected to the Rookie-Sophomore game. The NBA is a complete joke. Completely unfair to a more deserving player.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 08:42 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,345,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
How did this man get selected to the Rookie-Sophomore game. The NBA is a complete joke. Completely unfair to a more deserving player.
He is not playing in the Rookie-Sophmore game, he is participating in the slam dunk contest

Old 02-16-2012, 09:45 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,285,851 times
Now they are calling him 'Linderella.' Love it!

Old 02-16-2012, 09:54 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,345,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Now they are calling him 'Linderella.' Love it!
Lin said today on ESPN radio that his favorite nickname so far is "Super LINtendo"

LOL

Old 02-17-2012, 07:03 AM

10,136 posts, read 11,655,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
He is not playing in the Rookie-Sophmore game, he is participating in the slam dunk contest
Judging from your other thread, you already found out.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:41 AM

52,013 posts, read 41,844,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
oh i give him credit for 7 decent games. but beyond that, he is under a stat stuffing coach who has never done anything but have some decent regular seasons and a couple ok playoff runs. when he can do it night in and night out for a full season or 5 then i will give him more credit, until then he is filed under flavor of the month.
Let me put it another way.

If your favorite team (and the Knicks are arguably my least favorite team fyi lol) had a chance to pick a guy up out of the D-league that would suddenly be a serviceable starter but never an all-nba type player, work hard, credit his team and so forth....wouldn't that still be huge?

Granted we all know that there is so much Lin hype we all want to backlash to that.....but those aren't serious NBA fans anyway so I just kinda dismiss it.

Now, imagine the bidding for LIn next year as a restricted FA? The Knicks have so little cap that another team could pay a REASONABLE salary to the guy and the Knicks might come up short. Curiouser and curiouser.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:03 AM

4,399 posts, read 9,065,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
How many pro athletes have made public statements to that effect? Please name them.

The jist that you so conveniently overlooked is that we have a double standard. Now some jaded NBA player, Andre Iguodala, has also jumped on the race card while dismissing Lin's contributions and performance.

No one is touting Lin as the second coming of Michael Jordan. Knicks fans are just excited and he's managed to breath some life into the team and fans alike. Let them have their moment.
There is no double standard, plenty of people have said that the President was only elected because he was black. It makes no difference whether they were athletes or not who made these statements professional athletes don't have any more credibility with regard to this matter than anyone else.

Also Iggy's comments:

""You see (Lin) doing it and you say, 'You're serious?' It's kind of like seeing a black hockey player doing well," "race does play a role in it but at the same time you have to respect it, that's how I feel. You have to respect it whether you like it or not. It's a feel-good story." "... Game 30, game 40, that's where you can kind of see where a guy's at."

I do not know what has happened in this whole Jeremy Lin episode, that leads people to believe he is some kind of martyr but he is not.

Last edited by jdm2008; 02-17-2012 at 09:14 AM..

Old 02-17-2012, 09:32 AM

3,441 posts, read 5,006,218 times
The thing about Americans is that they are manipulated and controlled by the media. NYC has the biggest media and news companies in the US, so NYC controls the airwaves.

Americans love trendy things with a lot of hype. That's not me. Anybody can see that they are over saturating this story.

If you're an American and you don't conform to the masses and the media, all kinds of accusations come your way.

If you are not 100 percent down with Linsanity, you're called a racist, especially if you're black.

I hope the kid does well, I am just sick of hearing about him. Call me when he wins a championship.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:55 AM

4,399 posts, read 9,065,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post

If you are not 100 percent down with Linsanity, you're called a racist, especially if you're black.
couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:04 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,203,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
The thing about Americans is that they are manipulated and controlled by the media. NYC has the biggest media and news companies in the US, so NYC controls the airwaves.

Americans love trendy things with a lot of hype. That's not me. Anybody can see that they are over saturating this story.

If you're an American and you don't conform to the masses and the media, all kinds of accusations come your way.

I hope the kid does well, I am just sick of hearing about him. Call me when he wins a championship.
i agree with MOST of this entire post. ehh not so much. i mean is that like saying because im white and i didnt vote for obama, dont like his policies and think he is top 2-3 worst presidents this country has ever had, does that make me a racist? media will tell you that i am but i say it has nothing to with color, has everything to do with the job he has done.

same thing with lin, i dont buy the hype, i dont see that he is anything more then a flash in the pan/flavor of the month. when he gets a full season or 2 in and is still producing decent numbers, i will pass judgement at that time. for now, dont buy the hype, it only feeds the stern!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball