U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 11:09 AM

52,019 posts, read 41,851,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
The thing about Americans is that they are manipulated and controlled by the media. NYC has the biggest media and news companies in the US, so NYC controls the airwaves.

Americans love trendy things with a lot of hype. That's not me. Anybody can see that they are over saturating this story.

If you're an American and you don't conform to the masses and the media, all kinds of accusations come your way.

If you are not 100 percent down with Linsanity, you're called a racist, especially if you're black.

I hope the kid does well, I am just sick of hearing about him. Call me when he wins a championship.
Oh, so it's not good enough that a border-line NBAer that has kept working at his game has some decent games against weak competition and turns out to probably be an *ok* point guard in the league? He now has to be as good as a CP3 or Rose or it's somehow undeserved?

The struggling knicks went on a 7-game win streak for crying out loud.

Now if Lin had been the starting PG to begin with and been around the league playing medicore as a starter before then there is no way he gets that kind of hype.

Oh yeah, and if someone utterly ignores the fact that even the Knicks cut lin earlier in the season and just says it's because he's asian....yeah...it's pretty racist.

After all Tiger woods only got attention because he was black, yep....no other reason he would have gotten all that attention....none whatsover.

Now Lin will never be a "tiger woods" level guy in the NBA but that's not the point. He is the guy nobody wanted. WTH people, never seen Rudy or the mark Wahlberg movie about the Eagles walk-on? The US people love an underdog and just trying hard and making the eagles roster was a huge success, the guy only played a couple NFL seasons on special teams etc. and they made a movie about him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
couldn't have said it better myself.
I remember in 2008 during the democratic primaries, when Hillary one WV and the Obama camp and others blamed racism.

Disagree with Obama? Racist repulbicans! lol.

The race card is played at every possible turn in the US so perhaps you can thank the people that have played it over and over and over anytime there is a disagreement for it winding up in the laps of people arguing about Lin.

I find it brutally ironic. Especially because in college I had a fellow student scream at me that I was racist because.....I didn't agree that HIV was invented to kill black people. Oh this is hillarious.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:18 AM

Ok, comedy relief time...notice the city data ads by google that pop up between posts?

Just saw one here for "$9 overstock tebow jerseys". Kinda timely, made me laugh.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:27 AM

4,399 posts, read 9,067,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I remember in 2008 during the democratic primaries, when Hillary one WV and the Obama camp and others blamed racism.

The race card is played at every possible turn in the US so perhaps you can thank the people that have played it over and over and over anytime there is a disagreement for it winding up in the laps of people arguing about Lin.

I find it brutally ironic. Especially because in college I had a fellow student scream at me that I was racist because.....I didn't agree that HIV was invented to kill black people. Oh this is hillarious.
You are all over the place with this post, Obama, Hiv... Perhaps you should start your own thread in the POC forum.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:46 AM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,353,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
The thing about Americans is that they are manipulated and controlled by the media. NYC has the biggest media and news companies in the US, so NYC controls the airwaves.

Americans love trendy things with a lot of hype. That's not me. Anybody can see that they are over saturating this story.

If you're an American and you don't conform to the masses and the media, all kinds of accusations come your way.

If you are not 100 percent down with Linsanity, you're called a racist, especially if you're black.

I hope the kid does well, I am just sick of hearing about him. Call me when he wins a championship.
Call you when he wins a championship? Did Derrick Rose win one???

Old 02-17-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
You are all over the place with this post, Obama, Hiv... Perhaps you should start your own thread in the POC forum.
Sure.

Now why don't you tell me about all the other 12th men that have led thier team to winning streaks when their starters went out injured after the team was struggling?

Surely they must be common occurences and Lin is just getting all this buzz because of his ethnicity.

Honestly, name another player in the NBA, MLB, NFL that has gone from a barely roster nobody to a decent starter on a team with a hot streak?

Kurt Warner is the closest I could come up with.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Sure.

Now why don't you tell me about all the other 12th men that have led thier team to winning streaks when their starters went out injured after the team was struggling?

Surely they must be common occurences and Lin is just getting all this buzz because of his ethnicity.

Honestly, name another player in the NBA, MLB, NFL that has gone from a barely roster nobody to a decent starter on a team with a hot streak?

Kurt Warner is the closest I could come up with.
David Ortiz, Bill Mueller, Tom Brady Victor Cruz. So you are right it is a common occurrance. And those guys accomplished alot more(rings, mvps, batting championships, Post Season MVPs etc) than Jeremy Lin and are better at their sport than Lin is at his(Ortiz and Brady at least, maybe Cruz too).
I do not know what is about that this streak that if you point out that Lin has only played 6 or 7 games, or that he is an awful defender, or that he turns over the ball alot that you hate Asians.

Last edited by jdm2008; 02-17-2012 at 12:43 PM..

Old 02-17-2012, 12:30 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,204,830 times
Quote:

the one i love is when the black guy freaks out about being called a racist because he doesnt care for jeremy lin. (see above a few posts) all i can say is WELCOME TO MY WORLD. the world of whitey! we are called racists at every turn. dont like obama, you must be racist, dont care about lin, you must be racist, dont like watermelon, must be a racist! hell i dont like avacado either, i must hate latin cooking, wait my wife is 100% guatemalan, that cant be it!
damn whitey one racist mofo!

talk about pot calling kettle black, OPPS i said black i must be a racist!

ok im gonna stop for the moment, gotta go pay my hispanic employees! you know because they do the jobs we white people will not! RACIST!

Old 02-17-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
David Ortiz, Bill Mueller, Tom Brady Victor Cruz. So you are right it is a common occurrance. And those guys accomplished alot more than Jeremy Lin and are better at their sport than Lin is at his(Ortiz and Brady at least, maybe Cruz too).
I do not know what is about that this streak that if you point out that Lin has only played 6 or 7 games, or that he is an awful defender, or that he turns over the ball alot that you hate Asians.
WTH?

Brady was a Michigan QB (big time program) who was a 6th round draft pick which isn't even that low. (Lin was undrafted). Brady was never cut by a pro team and his first couple games were mediocre. The next year the Pats didn't even make the playoffs.

Ortiz had been in the league a decade when he had a couple roid-induced big seasons with Boston. Even still, he got A TON of attention in Boston, probably because he was black.

Two horrible examples by you....I will stop there.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
WTH?

Brady was a Michigan QB (big time program) who was a 6th round draft pick which isn't even that low. (Lin was undrafted). Brady was never cut by a pro team and his first couple games were mediocre. The next year the Pats didn't even make the playoffs.

Ortiz had been in the league a decade when he had a couple roid-induced big seasons with Boston. Even still, he got A TON of attention in Boston, probably because he was black.

Two horrible examples by you....I will stop there.
There are only 7 rounds in the NFL draft. Isn't that low? He was the 4th string quarterback in new england. Give me a break .

Ortiz wasn't an everyday till got to Boston. And David Ortiz isn't black. Jeez you are really on the ball today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball