U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 06:20 AM

30,381 posts, read 18,705,309 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind that the NBA is *notorious* in recent years for picking athleticism first and then hoping the player can develop into someone with skills.

They also tend to give you tryouts that are 1-on-1 which is a joke too which favors certain types of players.

A little history, Steve Kerr whom had a looooong and prolific career as a niche shooter got panned and passed over by Utah because John stockton shredded him in a tryout. Well DUH...Kerr wasn't even remotely that kind of player but dang if he couldn't put the pain down off the bench and spread the court.

Frankly, I find it a little crappy that a guy that has put in that much time and effort on his game, worked his way up through D-league....gets to the NBA and people claim conspiracy because....he's asian. It might just be sour grapes because so many guys here in the US trying to make the NBA are nothing but streetballers with the basketball IQ of lint unless it's dunking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 06:23 AM

3,777 posts, read 4,584,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Frankly, I find it a little crappy that a guy that has put in that much time and effort on his game, worked his way up through D-league....gets to the NBA and people claim conspiracy because....he's asian. It might just be sour grapes because so many guys here in the US trying to make the NBA are nothing but streetballers with the basketball IQ of lint unless it's dunking.
Stern has been involved in these kind of things so its expected.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Stern has been involved in these kind of things so its expected.
I don't even know what you are trying to say here?

Involved in what way?
What "kinds of things"?

A couple examples would be appreciated.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:18 AM

5,613 posts, read 3,993,924 times
what im finding funny, stories like "rockets gm regrets waiving lin". well hell yeah he does NOW. but then the rockets waived lin to get enough $$$$ to sign dalembert so does he really "regret" waiving lin or is it more media hype? lin is the flavor of the week, so of course everyone who ever turned the guy down regrets it, their team isnt getting that hype. hell they look like bad guys for not giving the flavor (my new nickname for lin) a big enough shot.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:27 AM

594 posts, read 760,680 times
I can't wait to see Knicks vs Lakers tonight. This should be a good test of Lin's ability vs a good team. Well, not as good as they were last year, but still a formidable lakers team.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:58 AM

3,777 posts, read 4,584,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I don't even know what you are trying to say here?

Involved in what way?
What "kinds of things"?

A couple examples would be appreciated.
Referees in the NBA have been convicted for fixing games? And Stern is the comissioner of the NBA.
In addition Stern has been directly accused of ordering the fixing of games himself.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:13 AM

2,114 posts, read 1,248,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
OK, OK. half-joking anyway--but only half, after all we're talking about David Stern.

I have not seen the Wizards play this year. It is a good story. I do think he is a good finisher, which I think a lot of times is one of those things that can't be coached. It also occurred to me that if it was a conspiracy, Stern would have put him on the West Coast team. The kid is going to bring gazillions into league coffers, but it would be even moreso if he played for, say, the Blazers or Warriors.
If that were the case, then Stern would have influenced the Warriors to play Lin more.

Like the other posters said, it's not a conspiracy, the Wizards' defense really is that bad. Lin didn't have such a clear path when he played the Jazz.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:29 PM

7,801 posts, read 5,208,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Wizards and defense; Wizards and wins? You cant couple those words together.
Exactly, let me tell you this is one of the worst Wizards teams ever. There is a reason why Flip Saunders got fired. I've been watching this team for over 20 years and I am trying my hardest not to stop watching them. It has been very difficult. You see this sorry lack of effort all the time. That play actually wasn't completely Wall's fault, even though he tends to play bad D. Trevor Booker should have actually rotated over, but that's been a big issue. The team defense is awful. A lot of people love JaVale McGee because of his dunks and all, but if you watch him on a nightly basis, you would see why a majority of our fans are tired of him.

Here goes a reminder of the kind of team you are looking at.

JaVale McGee runs back on defense when Wizards have ball - DC Sports Bog - The Washington Post

Truth About It » What Is Andray Blatche Doing Here?

Old 02-10-2012, 01:11 PM

521 posts, read 1,453,696 times
I love this theory, but yes, it is totally crazy! You can see Wall put his hands up as others have suggested. What is odd to me after having watched the replay a few times is why Wall was going for the steal and then pulled back. But watching it again, I see Chandler was coming up to set a pick and Wall was anticipating that.

Still, unreal lack of defense. It's not like it is Lebron coming down the lane and you fear a collision. Just knock him on his a** or do something! I think it's an example of over coaching--coaches scream about leaving someone open and in theory Lin could have passed to whoever that was in the corner. Was it Novak? That may explain why the defender was hesitant to stop him and leave Novak open.

Lin has been awesome to watch but this has been against horrible teams. Tonight will be fun but I wouldn't expect what you've seen in the last 3 games.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Referees in the NBA have been convicted for fixing games? And Stern is the comissioner of the NBA.
In addition Stern has been directly accused of ordering the fixing of games himself.
1 guy with a gambling problem.

FYI- George Bush was accused of exploding the levees in new orleans and Obama was accused of having caused the Haiti earthquake.
I'm accusing you of being an irrational conspiracy nut.

Since, that's the burden of proof, I guess I'm right.

P.S. Lin is getting hacked to death by fisher and no calls tonight. Also, I HATE the Knicks, so if you think I'm biased in their favor lmao.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball