U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-11-2012, 04:50 AM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,880,422 times
Reputation: 1802

Advertisements

A few points:

1. While scoring 38 points against 80 year old Derek Fisher isn't exactly brag-worthy, more telling is leading the Knicks with a makeshift lineup( Jeffries, Walker, Fields, Chandler) against a lineup featuring Kobe Bryant, Andrew Bynum, and Pau Gasol. And EXCELLED under the pressure of playing a high profile team like the Lakers under the scrutiny of the New York spotlight. And he appeared unfazed by it.

2. Continuing on the point about his matchup against Fisher, previously he averaged 28 and 8 against John Wall, Devin Harris, and Deron Williams. Not exactly no-names.....

3. Going around other basketball boards, I'm seeing Nash comparisons. Obviously not on the level of Nash as a playmaker, but there are some similarities in terms of dribbling style, shooting mechanics, speed, height and how they play the pick and roll. Lin plays what I would call at a deliberate pace, not super quick, but he's rarely out of control, is excellent at maintaining his dribble, and has a good ability to change pace and direction.

4. I love the guy's attitude and humility. Very endearing, easy to root for in a league full of screaming, glaring, chest-bumping superstars. I don't expect this guy to be able to keep up this pace, especially when Amare and Melo return, but he looks like a legit starter. Above all, it makes for a compelling story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-11-2012, 08:06 AM
 
70 posts, read 93,273 times
Reputation: 25
Jeremy Lin is the new Mike Piazza. Out of nowhere, a star is born!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2012, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,247,479 times
Reputation: 11726
There's no question he's good. He just put buckets all in the Lakeshow's mouth last night. But I do think David Stern and the NBA are highly cognizant of his revenue potential for the League. Hopefully, Lin can maintain good numbers throughout the season. If so, he'll probably have a few All-Star selections in his future with over 1.2 billion voters in China. And the potential revenue for his jersey sales will be through the roof. There's no denying that the NBA is looking it at from that perspective. Just like there's no denying that Obama's ethnicity made him that much more appealing to the Democratic leadership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2012, 08:56 AM
 
51,942 posts, read 41,806,773 times
Reputation: 32406
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There's no question he's good. He just put buckets all in the Lakeshow's mouth last night. But I do think David Stern and the NBA are highly cognizant of his revenue potential for the League. Hopefully, Lin can maintain good numbers throughout the season. If so, he'll probably have a few All-Star selections in his future with over 1.2 billion voters in China. And the potential revenue for his jersey sales will be through the roof. There's no denying that the NBA is looking it at from that perspective. Just like there's no denying that Obama's ethnicity made him that much more appealing to the Democratic leadership.
You should pull up Lin's resume, that dude has bounced all over the NBA with teams taking a pass on him....so the more logical reason would be that he has developed his game and found the right situation finally. I mean, if the NBA was trying to push him they would have not had him cut by 3 different teams (including the Knicks) and passed on by all the others.

I think it's just the fact that he is a gamer that isn't going to dominate other guards 1 on 1....the opposite of a "practice" or "combine" player.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2012, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,880,422 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
If so, he'll probably have a few All-Star selections in his future with over 1.2 billion voters in China.
Yep, deservedly so if he keeps going at this rate. Let's see if he can keep it up, or if he's just a one week wonder. My thing is, IF the guy is genuinely this good, it will be interesting to see what happens if and when Baron Davis is healthy. I don't think at this stage he can do more for the Knicks than Lin can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2012, 09:05 AM
 
51,942 posts, read 41,806,773 times
Reputation: 32406
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
This is downright amazing, leading the team over the Lakers with Stoudemire and Anthony out.

Even looking at his college performance, nothing indicated he had this ability at all.
He had some big games in college against high level competition....and remember he wouldn't have had a lot of help from the rest of his team at harvard. He dropped 30 on connecticut while they were 12th ranked, in their own gym.

Let's face it, the NBA wants athletes athletes athletes and then prays to go they can teach them how to actually play basketball. No 48" vert and pedigree from one of the big programs and they cluelessly ignore guys.

There are lots of guys that went so deep in the draft that they too were essentially undrafted like Lin. Guys like Ginobli, Rodman and many many more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2012, 09:06 AM
JL
 
7,352 posts, read 11,885,191 times
Reputation: 7198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You should pull up Lin's resume, that dude has bounced all over the NBA with teams taking a pass on him....so the more logical reason would be that he has developed his game and found the right situation finally. I mean, if the NBA was trying to push him they would have not had him cut by 3 different teams (including the Knicks) and passed on by all the others.

I think it's just the fact that he is a gamer that isn't going to dominate other guards 1 on 1....the opposite of a "practice" or "combine" player.
True. He wasn't that great of a shooter at Harvard. His defense wasn't all that great in college too. He must have definitely improved over the past few years, but i do think other teams passed him up due to athleticism. Scouts in all professional sports naturally look at athleticism, but ball IQ is so important. Also, i think the stars aligned at the right time with him fitting perfectly in DAntoni's system. Maybe God had a plan for him. I don't see him shooting like 56% the rest of the season, but i think he can keep up the assists and penetration especially with Melo/Stat returning. He is a crafty, poised kid who i thought would fluster in last night's game, but i am sold on him now. I think he can become a better version of JJ Barea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2012, 09:19 AM
 
51,942 posts, read 41,806,773 times
Reputation: 32406
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
True. He wasn't that great of a shooter at Harvard. His defense wasn't all that great in college too. He must have definitely improved over the past few years, but i do think other teams passed him up due to athleticism. Scouts in all professional sports naturally look at athleticism, but ball IQ is so important. Also, i think the stars aligned at the right time with him fitting perfectly in DAntoni's system. Maybe God had a plan for him. I don't see him shooting like 56% the rest of the season, but i think he can keep up the assists and penetration especially with Melo/Stat returning. He is a crafty, poised kid who i thought would fluster in last night's game, but i am sold on him now. I think he can become a better version of JJ Barea.
100% agree.

The NBA has gotten better about it but is still very hung up on a guy having a "specific body". Hence all the workout wonders that can't even hit gimme 15 footers which plauged the league from the late 90's on....but oh they can dunk.

Heck in this day and age they'd probably pass on Barkley because he's "too short" to play the PF position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2012, 10:23 AM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,313,442 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
True. He wasn't that great of a shooter at Harvard. His defense wasn't all that great in college too. He must have definitely improved over the past few years, but i do think other teams passed him up due to athleticism. Scouts in all professional sports naturally look at athleticism, but ball IQ is so important. Also, i think the stars aligned at the right time with him fitting perfectly in DAntoni's system. Maybe God had a plan for him. I don't see him shooting like 56% the rest of the season, but i think he can keep up the assists and penetration especially with Melo/Stat returning. He is a crafty, poised kid who i thought would fluster in last night's game, but i am sold on him now. I think he can become a better version of JJ Barea.
Good comparison, a taller and better shooting J.J Barea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2012, 12:29 PM
 
2,736 posts, read 3,270,480 times
Reputation: 4098
Man. . .who is this kid, and where in the f_ck did he come from?

I'm not a big basketball fan. However, given that I live in L.A. and that my GF is a diehard Laker fan, I have no choice but to watch Laker games. I was mesmerized as I watched Jeremy Lin outplay and run circles around seasoned veterans.

Jeremy Lin is impressive. It was truly refreshing to watch his moves and game. If this is the new face of the NBA, then I will definitely be watching more pro-basketball games.

I can see him receiving some major $$$ offers from either the Clippers or the Lakers. He will be a great asset and a perfect fit to the L.A. teams. And given the way things are starting to stack up, I can see him going to the Clippers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top