U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 08:49 PM

51,912 posts, read 41,783,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
That trade make zero sense. The rockets are not going to give up their 2 best scorers, and both of their point guards. No way! Who ever said that is an idiot
There are all kinds of NOOB Laker fans spouting about how they will get Dwight Howard for *free* and miracle trades and so forth. Ooooh maybe the Bulls will trade Derrick Rose for Luke Walton next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 05:47 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,195,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobrandon View Post
All name blunders aside, would a trade of Gasol and Bynum for Howard and Anderson be fair? Seems the Magic would want both Gasol and Bynum for just Howard which seems too steep a price on the Lakers end. But if the Magic threw in a guy like Anderson maybe it makes it worth it. I'd prefer just a Byum for Howard swap but I don't think Magic go for that.
even with anderson, the trade would not work. the money doesnt work. gasol and bynum are 33+ milk and anderson/howard are roughly 20+ mil both teams over the cap means no room for the magic to eat that extra 13 mil. (actually they would only have to drop about 8 mil. to make it work)/

they would have to throw in hedo or nelson. nelson would be an upgrade over fish/blake for the lakers but would the magic give away their 3 best players for a guy who has yet to play a single complete season, and a 31 yr old power forward who has been tagged as super soft his whole career? would they give away the best bigman in the game who is both durable and a defensive force, along with one of the top 3 point shooters in the league, AND a top 10 pg for bynum and gasol? i say NO WAY! the magic already have a bad taste for the lakers with the whole shaq deal to be handing them all that on a golden platter.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:57 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,195,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmm_pieee View Post
I know, right? No one would do that in a fantasy trade, either!

However, there may be some truth to it as the Hornets-Rockets-Lakers mega deal that was reported nixed by David Stern also involved having some of these players going to New Orleans while the Rockets receiving mostly Pau Gasol in return. Not sure what the Rockets see in Gasol but seems like they would pay through the nose to get him.
the rockets only offered martin and scola to the hornets to get pau. that trade makes a little bit more sense. landry IS THE ROCKETS no way he goes anywhere, and dragic is really his only backup but isnt good enough to run the show on his own. there is a difference between having SOME OF the players involved and having ALL OF the players involved. on top of that the lakers would have to throw in about 5 mil in salary, and morey isnt taking back garbage, he just isnt. the rockets still would have jonny flyn whom mcfail doesnt like and cant hardly get off the bench so no way they let him run the show.

the only way the trade would work really,
pau + steve blake for martin + scola + landry + dragic. and that just looks dumb on the rockets part. other then landry being the steal of the trade, and any bad blood that may be there for pau (remember he and kobe had some beef because of paus ex girlfriend or something) this trade doesnt make much sense to the lakers either. i mean where does martin fit in? as a $12mil backup to the 38 mpg kobe? scola is a downgrade from pau. dragic would never see game time behind fisher/landry. this trade all the way around makes no sense what so ever. when the other trade was offered up, none of those players where going to the lakers all players not named paul where going to rockets and hornets.

its just a bad trade all the way around

Old 02-13-2012, 09:07 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,608,124 times
The Lakers have a couple of problems:

1. Coaching. Let's just start with the obvious and say that losing Phil Jackson is huge. Brown's actually a pretty good coach, particularly on the defensive end. But Jackson and his staff saw the game in its entirety, and having the wizard around was important in late game stretches when they needed opportunistic scoring and defense. Coach Brown has the defense part down, but I don't think the Lakers know how to win tight games anymore, and don't even think of advancing in the playoffs if your team doesn't have that complete skill set instilled into them.

2. Age and deterioration/depletion of talent. The team they have on the court now was basically built in 2006-2007, gelled in 2008, and won titles in 2009 and 2010. Last year they started showing signs of wear and tear but I thought they still might have had enough in their tank for one more run. But not now. Not this year, and especially not with Odom gone. There's more pressure on Kobe to do the work, and he just can't do it by himself.

I think the Lakers will make it to the playoffs as a number 7 or 8 seed and get bounced in the first round by OKC or whoever the #2 is.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:29 AM

3,441 posts, read 5,002,397 times
The Lakers don't really have any shooters on the team and their bench stinks on offense and defense.

It's as simple as that.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:43 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,179,162 times
I was watching the lakers-portland 2000 playoff games the other night.

-People forget how stacked that Laker squad was.

Glen Rice. Veteran.
Ron Harper.
Rick Rox.
Derek Fisher.

*AC Green.

**Brian Shaw.

Plus Horry. I think people forget about guys like Shaw. The league is so diluted since then, its almost shocking.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:50 AM

29,124 posts, read 22,029,506 times
The Lakers need to give World Peace a chance.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:04 PM

The big joke now with the Lakers is Kobe and the morons at ESPN all kinda speculating that the trade rumors are affecting Pau and his play.

Oh brother. The Lakers lost the other night because Kobe had 10 turnovers.

Most nights they lose because they have NOBODY after the Big 3 and Fisher and World Peace can no longer shoot the ball.

Fisher is shooting 37% and Peace 33% from the field....but oh, the problem is the *distraction* of Pau trade rumors. Idiocy.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:11 PM

3,441 posts, read 5,002,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The big joke now with the Lakers is Kobe and the morons at ESPN all kinda speculating that the trade rumors are affecting Pau and his play.

Oh brother. The Lakers lost the other night because Kobe had 10 turnovers.

Most nights they lose because they have NOBODY after the Big 3 and Fisher and World Peace can no longer shoot the ball.

Fisher is shooting 37% and Peace 33% from the field....but oh, the problem is the *distraction* of Pau trade rumors. Idiocy.
The Lakers need to rehaul their bench and get rid of Metta Peace.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
The Lakers need to rehaul their bench and get rid of Metta Peace.
Fisher, Walton, Peace...all contribute virtually nothing and eat up cap space.
It's uglier than I thought. I thought Walton was in his last year but nope....and they only have 1 amnesty.

HoopsHype - NBA Salaries - Los Angeles Lakers

Dang, the Lakers are super-screwed and by the time they dig out of this mess Kobe etc. will all be 2-3 years older.

I see zero relief in sight for the Lakers. They are going to be struggling until they go through a full-rebuild and that is 2-3 years off or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball