Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 05:21 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times

Advertisements

I am as impressed by the hype over Jeremy Lin as anybody. Great finisher, along the lines of a D Rose or D Wade, and maybe even a better passer than either of those two.

But watch this video of a Lin dunk that was featured on youtube today. The lack of D is just absurd. Why do the defenders just stand and watch? It's like their feet are suddenly stuck in fast-drying cement.

I always gotta wonder about the NBA--to what is it staged like pro wrestling? Just several weeks ago there were some news items about how popular the NBA has become in China, and of course China is already a huge entertainment market that will only grow in the next 20 years. Now all of the sudden, we get a successful player of Chinese ancestry out of nowhere.

Being in the Seattle area, I suppose I will always be naturally suspicious of the league as long as Stern is there. What do you think? Am I treading into tinfoil hat territory, or am I onto something?

Jeremy Lin crosses over John Wall, dunks on Wizards - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 05:27 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,379 times
I dont think their is any conspiracy-----the better teams play some defense----and the Washington Bullets certainly as a unit, play very little, if any defense.

Teams that contend year in and year out will play D----teams that dont will have a record like the Bulletts have.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:11 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
You must haven't seen the Wizards very much. They are usually this awful on a regular basis. Players like Linas Kleiza, Jerryd Bayless, Amir Johnson, Jeremy Lin, Kyle Korver, J.J Redick and other have lit the Wizards up for way more than their regular season average in just the past week. This team has serious issues and it is like scratching a chalkboard watching them.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:23 AM

78,331 posts, read 60,527,398 times
^^^What these guys said.

Never attribute to malice what can be easily attributed to stupidity and incompentence.

So basically, yeah....you are wandering towards tinfoil territory.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:41 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,485,004 times
Yes, I am impressed with him as well. But no, I don't think it is some sort of conspiracy lol.

Also, I'd probably hold off on this right now:

Quote:
along the lines of a D Rose or D Wade
I guess it depends on how you define "along the lines," but I don't even like putting him in that league atm.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:28 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,653,855 times
Wizards and defense; Wizards and wins? You cant couple those words together.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:29 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,653,855 times
Notice after Lin dunked, that John Wall puts his hands up like, "What was that guys?"

It is part of being a Wizard these days...

Old 02-09-2012, 01:58 PM

650 posts, read 1,811,528 times
He's always been good. It's just a matter of finally having his chance to shine. Check out his Harvard stats and how he gave big name NCAA Division I teams a run for their money. There's no conspiracy about it. It's actually a pretty good underdog story. Undrafted, dropped by several teams, sent to the D-League, slept on his brother's couch while his contract is non-guaranteed. It's good to see players work for their spot, it makes them hungrier to play.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:27 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
OK, OK. half-joking anyway--but only half, after all we're talking about David Stern.

I have not seen the Wizards play this year. It is a good story. I do think he is a good finisher, which I think a lot of times is one of those things that can't be coached. It also occurred to me that if it was a conspiracy, Stern would have put him on the West Coast team. The kid is going to bring gazillions into league coffers, but it would be even moreso if he played for, say, the Blazers or Warriors.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:36 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,888,756 times
I think there's some issues with the NBA....i.e. the refs. A lot of playoff conspiracy theories you can talk about. The calls against/for the Suns, lakers, kings etc in the playoffs can be questioned.

-If there was really a Lin conspiracy, they would have wanted to keep Yao Ming in the league longer. A Yao Ming hologram bouncing a ball up and down the court, lol. Maybe.

I think if Lin had been on UCLA or something, he would have gotten a lot more attention in college. Easy to slip below the public radar at Harvard.

I would say, a good college player who slipped below the radar in the ivy league. He gets signed to a big market team.

Knicks are doing terrible, 9th in the east. He starts scoring 26 and he's turned the team around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball