U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 12:29 PM

35,108 posts, read 40,238,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
We've all encountered them. Here's my list.

1. The Ballhog: The Ballhog is perhaps the easiest type of player to hate at your local gym. This is the guy who never inbounds the ball in a full court game. Instead, he will watch the ball bounce three or four times under the basket while yelling at you, "Let's go! Let's go!" This is the guy who, when you decide to pass the ball to someone else, follows you down the court to let you know he was "open" on that last play. And this is the guy who is constantly clapping his hands and whistling to let you know just how "open" he is.

Although it's not always easy to identify a ballhog early on, there are some key features that will give him away. If he's under 5'10, his chances of being a ballhog increase by 20 percent. If he has braids, the odds increase by 40 percent. Then the odds increase from that point on with every ear piercing and tatoo. If you end up getting put on a team with a guy that resembles Lil' Wayne, don't expect to take any shots that game. If he comes to the game wearing a Christian Laettner Duke jersey, you have two choices: (a) go home or (b) kill him. Either way, it won't be a fun day for you.

While it's easy to hate the ballhog, we can't lay all of the blame at his feet. After all, people pass him the ball. That's the most baffling part about it. Why pass the ball to a guy who you know is going to take the shot 100 percent of the time and destroy any chances you have of winning? There are ballhogs and there are ballhog enablers. Both should be equally reviled.

2. Mr. Sensitive: We all know this guy. This is the guy who runs into a pick and calls foul. He calls "blocking" at the three point line. Anytime he drives to the hoop, he picks up his dribble, and then walks back up to the key and says "Ball." There is no real way to deal with a Mr. Sensitive. You just have to make sure he doesn't get picked.

3. The Cherrypicker: Is there really a more annoying player? The cherrypicker is a like a cop who pulls you over for doing 57 in a 55. Yeah, sure, you have the right to do it, but it's just a punk ass move. After the ballhog, there's no other player who can suck the life out of a game like a cherrypicker.

4. The "Glove": This is the guy who takes casual pickup game defense a little too seriously. You're out there to get a little cardio, hang with friends, and enjoy playing a sport you love. He's there to put on a defensive performance that would make Scottie Pippen or Bruce Bowen seethe with envy. From the first inbound pass of the game, this guy is sticking you like it's the second overtime in a Duke-Kentucky Final Four semi-final. Unlike the three previous players described above, however, there is great satisfaction to be gained from taking this guy to the woodshed.

5. Steven Spielberg: My 5th spot goes to guys I call "Steven Spielbergs." It was a toss up between that and the "Hot Sauces" of the world; guys whose only purpose on the court is to "break ankles." The Spielbergs are far worse than the Hot Sauces, imo. These are the guys who think that, by virtue of being under 5'8, they come from the same mold as Mateen Cleaves and Avery Johnson. They think of themselves as "floor generals." These are the guys who never inbound the ball. They instead hang around the basket waiting for an inbound pass the way a vulture waits for its prey to die. They like to dribble the ball to the top of the key and yell out, "Yo! Set it up!" They like to point a lot. They like to order any player over 5'10 to "CRASH THE BOARDS!!!" while they hang out around the perimeter waiting for the kickout. Spielbergs may in fact be more annoying than the ballhogs.

Anyone I forgot?
Pretty much anyone who is overpaid to play a game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 12:48 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeish View Post
the guy who throws me an alley-oop instead of a normal pass on a break. Um, yeah, i'm a 5'11" white guy, im not going to do much with an alley-oop besides come down with the ball then make my layup.
lol

Old 03-11-2012, 09:51 PM

11,501 posts, read 13,429,654 times
Charles Barkley fills all my players I every disliked.

Bad attitude, lazy, whiner, never played to his potential.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:53 AM

7,742 posts, read 6,144,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
The Steve Nash wanna be that tries to constantly make the pass in the smallest passing lane possible, usually resulting in a turnover.

The guy who throws me an alley-oop instead of a normal pass on a break. Um, yeah, I'm a 5'11" white guy, Im not going to do much with an alley-oop besides come down with the ball then make my layup.
Lmao! I dont dunk in games because I'm worried about getting under-cut.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:56 AM

The dude that calls a loose ball foul......smh

Old 03-16-2012, 03:20 AM

2,800 posts, read 1,769,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
The Steve Nash wanna be that tries to constantly make the pass in the smallest passing lane possible, usually resulting in a turnover.

The guy who throws me an alley-oop instead of a normal pass on a break. Um, yeah, I'm a 5'11" white guy, Im not going to do much with an alley-oop besides come down with the ball then make my layup.
I am the Steve Nash wannabe lol though I do make some nice passes.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:50 AM

3,176 posts, read 4,639,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Lmao! I dont dunk in games because I'm worried about getting under-cut.
In reading all the posts, I was wondering if anyone was going to mention the ultimate all time, recreation league prick. The undercutter.

This guy wasn't the reason I didn't dunk in games (could barely get my hand over the rim in my prime). This clown, almost always a little guy, will recognize that he can't stop your layup and wait until you've taken off, then run under you to "scare" you into missing. I've come crashing down several times because of this kind of jerk.

What really toasts you is that when you yell at them they claim that they did nothing illegal.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
In reading all the posts, I was wondering if anyone was going to mention the ultimate all time, recreation league prick. The undercutter.

This guy wasn't the reason I didn't dunk in games (could barely get my hand over the rim in my prime). This clown, almost always a little guy, will recognize that he can't stop your layup and wait until you've taken off, then run under you to "scare" you into missing. I've come crashing down several times because of this kind of jerk.

What really toasts you is that when you yell at them they claim that they did nothing illegal.
Yea, I don't lile that either. They aren't making a play for the ball, they're tryna scare you. That'll cause a fight.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:34 AM

9,029 posts, read 16,430,940 times
Quote:
I'd say 90% of the skirmishes I've seen have started when you get the lumberjacks evil twin involved - this is the guy who cuts your legs ....... because I know when I'm playing a pickup game on asphalt I want someone to swing thier hips into the bottom of my legs when I go up for a rebound
Yeah - this was from my post upstream ..... rebound, layups, it doesn't matter

You don't cut someones legs and if you do you should expect to be dodging hands sometime in your near future

Old 03-19-2012, 12:04 PM

3,185 posts, read 4,048,196 times
The 180%er - The guy who tries way, way, WAY too hard. Can usually be seen sprinting the full length of the court after someone makes a layup. Also dives for a loose ball in the most extreme fashion and is adept at performing an inconceivable amount of spin moves in a single drive. Burns calories by the thousand. Beats up on himself for missing the three he "made 98% of the time in college ball". Often exclaims profanity both in victory and defeat.

Don't-pass-it-to-him guy (that's me) - Can be evaluated as the smallest offensive threat on the team. Often bobbles the ball trying to do a simple crossover and his shots are more likely to hit the court than the rim. Executes the overhand layup as he was taught 20 years ago. This particular specimen can often be heard semi-chalantly stating that he hasn't played in 5 years . . . every week for the past 3 months.

I was always terrible on the offensive side of the ball, but I'd love to play again. Only problem is I think pickup games are going to be pretty far above my level. It'll take all of 3 possessions for my team to figure out why I'm so open all the time (why defend someone who pretty much just hands you the ball anyway?) I wish they had an adult beginner's league I could play in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball