U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 01:35 PM

9,028 posts, read 16,424,156 times

Advertisements

Hey - I don't disagree with that ....... in fact, i'm sure there are a couple posts in my history here that say pretty much the same thing as I frequently find it absurd that people would be more offended by a compliment that uses "salty" language then by an insult that was done in a "proper" way

However, that doesn't exonerate someone from having to understand the realities of their environment and in that job you just can't go and drop that potential pun

There are plenty of things that I don't find to the be the least bit offensive - but I won't go and spout them to someone I know will be offended by it.

I have a lot of clients that are very religious and do not swear at all .... again, I tend to agree that words are what you make them - but understanding that they would take offense and it would hurt me in the end, I am careful to choose my words

Words that would consider to be on the light end of the spectrum like "hell" and "damn" would be higher on their list of the more offensive

When you work in media you absolutely have to know your audience

At best he was using a pun to take a racial shot at Lin ..... at worst he was stupid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 02:24 PM

904 posts, read 1,634,830 times
Disrespecting Lin? Are you kidding me?

The media won't shut up about singing his praises. Every move he makes is a 20 minute segment on how great he is on sports shows. I'm tired of hearing about him, and besides for a few small things (i.e. Mayweather comments), the national media has been nothing but positive about Lin, and its getting quite annoying.

Lin this, Lin that...Linsanity this, Linsanity that. Ugh!!

Old 02-24-2012, 06:00 PM

8,545 posts, read 8,872,905 times
^^^that.

The media is all over him.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:08 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,178,709 times
Does anyone else get the sense that the media is extremely bored....thus all this Lin coverage?

-He's a fantastic player. But it seems like they're just scrapping for anything. I think it has to do with increased competition from the internet, the 24/7 news cycle, and all the general distractions in society....i.e. video games, wii, online, youtube. It seems like they are almost ready to go into the trash, collect some Jeremy Lin hair.....and report on it at 10 pm.

Did Jordan even get this kind of coverage? I dont remember all the details about any player....like sleeping on your brothers couch, then this. Then x ___.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:37 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,285,298 times
Default Two things Lin has to prove after the All-star Break

1. That he can play well OUTSIDE of Madison Square Garden

He seems to play his best basketball in NYC which included wins over the Mavs and Lakers but on the road he struggled against the Raptors and Timberwolves even though the Knicks were able to still win.

2. That he can play well enough on the road to help the Knicks beat a winning team.

The Knicks failed their first test against a winning team last night against the Heat with Lin having a horrible game. After the All-Star game the Knicks travel to Dallas, San Antonio, and then Chicago. Even if the Knicks lose all three games if Lin has a bad game in all 3 games then his short NBA career maybe coming to an end soon.

So Lin has a lot to show after the All-Star Break

Old 02-24-2012, 08:38 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Is it because he is Chinese-American? The fans love him, but the media is pouncing on any chance it gets to criticize him.

ESPN: 'Ch_nk' in Armor'
Daily News: 'Linvisible'

Here is a guy making the NBA minimum, unknown and undrafted, with little or no playing or practice time with the regulars - and all of the sudden when he doesn't have a great game against players making 10 times as much as he does, they start disrespecting him? That is blatantly unfair to him, and I seriously doubt that it would happen if he were black or white.
Not the mention the way he is being treated by the players at All Star weekend. It's a shame

Old 02-25-2012, 12:40 AM

904 posts, read 1,634,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
Does anyone else get the sense that the media is extremely bored....thus all this Lin coverage?

-He's a fantastic player. But it seems like they're just scrapping for anything. I think it has to do with increased competition from the internet, the 24/7 news cycle, and all the general distractions in society....i.e. video games, wii, online, youtube. It seems like they are almost ready to go into the trash, collect some Jeremy Lin hair.....and report on it at 10 pm.

Did Jordan even get this kind of coverage? I dont remember all the details about any player....like sleeping on your brothers couch, then this. Then x ___.
Simple: He plays for the New York Knicks.

On ESPN (and most other media outlets):

Put him in Milwaukee, you get: "Oh, by the way, there's this guy named Jeremy Lin making great stats lately for the Bucks. But, don't get too excited, he's probably on a hot streak and we can't jump to conclusions on him. Can we please talk about how awesome Kobe is or something?"

Put him in New York, you get: "Oh my God! Jeremy Lin didn't play today and the Knicks lost, but its all a strategy of how amazing Jeremy Lin is!! He drank Gatorade on the bench like a champ! Get this man into the Hall of Fame right now because the Knicks are now back! We have a 20 minute segment coming up folks on how Jeremy Lin woke up today and tied his shoes. Pure greatness!"

Yeah. Not exact, lots of humor in that, but you certainly get my point...

Old 02-25-2012, 12:23 PM
FBJ

I was on the Jeremy Lin bandwagon but have to say he turned me off when he let the HEAT intimidate him the other night

He's going to have to do a lot to win me back because I don't believe in seeing a grown man with no confidence.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:40 PM

8,545 posts, read 8,872,905 times
^^there are few players who are never intimidated at first. Lebron has been scared everytime he's had a big game on the line...

Old 02-25-2012, 12:44 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
^^there are few players who are never intimidated at first. Lebron has been scared everytime he's had a big game on the line...
But he doesn't allow other players to make him uncomfortable. He was just intimidated by the moment not the team he was facing which is something he has to fix too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball