U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 06:13 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,183,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
Simple: He plays for the New York Knicks.

On ESPN (and most other media outlets):

Put him in Milwaukee, you get: "Oh, by the way, there's this guy named Jeremy Lin making great stats lately for the Bucks. But, don't get too excited, he's probably on a hot streak and we can't jump to conclusions on him. Can we please talk about how awesome Kobe is or something?"

Put him in New York, you get: "Oh my God! Jeremy Lin didn't play today and the Knicks lost, but its all a strategy of how amazing Jeremy Lin is!! He drank Gatorade on the bench like a champ! Get this man into the Hall of Fame right now because the Knicks are now back! We have a 20 minute segment coming up folks on how Jeremy Lin woke up today and tied his shoes. Pure greatness!"

Yeah. Not exact, lots of humor in that, but you certainly get my point...
I think it also has to do with the fact, the knicks haven't been good in years. When the knicks had ewing, starks, oakley, anthony mason....that was a real team. The knicks haven't been deep in the playoffs in how many years?

-With small market teams, Durant is on the radar in Oklahoma City. The other night, ESPN lead their sports center coverage with his 51 point night. And westbrook with 40.

I think they put that game ahead of Lin's game.

-Jordan and Pippen played in the 3rd biggest market for almost their entire career. Pippen was winning championships. I think Lin has gotten more coverage in his first few weeks than Pippen did in his first 5 years.

Another theory. The media (and NY media) are simply tired of all the other stories....i.e. politics, celebrities, kardashians, paris hilton, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 06:18 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,353,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I think it also has to do with the fact, the knicks haven't been good in years. When the knicks had ewing, starks, oakley, anthony mason....that was a real team. The knicks haven't been deep in the playoffs in how many years?

-With small market teams, Durant is on the radar in Oklahoma City. The other night, ESPN lead their sports center coverage with his 51 point night. And westbrook with 40.

-Jordan and Pippen played in the 3rd biggest market for almost their entire career. Pippen was winning championships. I think Lin has gotten more coverage in his first few weeks than Pippen did in his first 5 years.

Another theory. The media (and NY media) are simply tired of all the other stories....i.e. politics, celebrities, kardashians, paris hilton, etc.
Why wouldn't he since he is a Asian American which is the first one in the NBA?

Old 02-25-2012, 06:53 PM

52,015 posts, read 41,851,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post

I think quite simply 90% of Lins popularity is that he is an underdog. I mean holycrap they made a movie about Rudy and he nearly never played. The nobody that keeps getting knocked down that finally finds success is the american dream right there.

Look at the Will Smith movie "in pursuit of happiness", same type of story-line.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:59 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,656,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Is it because he is Chinese-American? The fans love him, but the media is pouncing on any chance it gets to criticize him.

ESPN: 'Ch_nk' in Armor'
Daily News: 'Linvisible'

Here is a guy making the NBA minimum, unknown and undrafted, with little or no playing or practice time with the regulars - and all of the sudden when he doesn't have a great game against players making 10 times as much as he does, they start disrespecting him? That is blatantly unfair to him, and I seriously doubt that it would happen if he were black or white.
I think I get the essence of what you're trying to say. I believe the media has definitely been insensitive to the culture of Asians and Asian Americans. There is no excuse for the blatant racist remarks that have been made. I don't care how much praise he has gotten, no one deserves that type of treatment. I think what we are finding is how ignorant our society really is. Asian Americans are not very prominent in professional athletics in this nation, so you have a lot of people who aren't accustom to speaking about these individuals in a professional setting and do not know what should and should not be said. I definitely think there are certain things that are not very serious, but most of what I have heard about Lin negatively has been inappropriate, disrespectful and unnecessary.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:11 PM

3,441 posts, read 5,006,634 times
With all the media hype, I seriously thought he was the second coming of jesus.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:17 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
With all the media hype, I seriously thought he was the second coming of jesus.
After scoring 38 points against the Lakers on National TV that's when all the hyped started. Why wouldn't it be hype? The way he peformed in that game was impressive

Old 02-25-2012, 09:51 PM

52,015 posts, read 41,851,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
After scoring 38 points against the Lakers on National TV that's when all the hyped started. Why wouldn't it be hype? The way he peformed in that game was impressive
^^^ 100% agree and taking a team lacking it's stars on a big win streak even against a weak line-up is huge coming from a deeeeeep bench player.

Really, anyone not *getting* why Lin is huge regardless of race etc. is frankly a clueless NBA fan and a complete BECKY.

FYI- Beckys are the gals that attend Cubs games, constantly tap out texts and couldn't name a player on either team or tell you how many innings are in a game.

Hammity ham ham hamd.....go away noobs.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:13 PM

278 posts, read 464,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
how is that impressive? stern robbed the lakers when they didnt allow the trade for chris paul. then odom and other lakers learned they would have been traded. also the fact kobe bryants wife divorces him.

all of this in the back of the lakers palyers mind. you think a team with all this going on can play a decent game?

of course any above average player can score 38 against the lakers at this point.

frankly, i cant wait until this jeremy lin bs ends. his 15 minutes of fame will be over soon. you can take that to the bank.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:20 PM

278 posts, read 464,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
^^^ 100% agree and taking a team lacking it's stars on a big win streak even against a weak line-up is huge coming from a deeeeeep bench player.

Really, anyone not *getting* why Lin is huge regardless of race etc. is frankly a clueless NBA fan and a complete BECKY.

FYI- Beckys are the gals that attend Cubs games, constantly tap out texts and couldn't name a player on either team or tell you how many innings are in a game.

Hammity ham ham hamd.....go away noobs.
how is that 17 and 18 team working out for you?

Old 02-25-2012, 10:45 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyischamp View Post
how is that impressive? stern robbed the lakers when they didnt allow the trade for chris paul. then odom and other lakers learned they would have been traded. also the fact kobe bryants wife divorces him.

all of this in the back of the lakers palyers mind. you think a team with all this going on can play a decent game?

of course any above average player can score 38 against the lakers at this point.

frankly, i cant wait until this jeremy lin bs ends. his 15 minutes of fame will be over soon. you can take that to the bank.
why are you so angry toward lin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball