U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 11:24 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,179,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Why wouldn't he since he is a Asian American which is the first one in the NBA?
There have been a lot of firsts in the NBA. Did Yao Ming get this much coverage when he started?

-I think what raises eyebrows about Lin....there have been a lot of players who have been celebrated playing overseas before they get to the NBA. Like some of the european players. Or Dirk. Ginobili?

A lot of europeans have made big inroads into the NBA in the last 10-15 years, but they didn't get the coverage of lin.

-True, he's an underdog story.....but aren't a lot of players underdogs? Esp if you come from Nigeria, Sudan, Ethiopia or some place. Where making the NBA is pretty rare, or where basketball isn't very common.

The knicks haven't been past the first round of the playoffs in 10 years. I think that explains it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 11:40 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,300,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
There have been a lot of firsts in the NBA. Did Yao Ming get this much coverage when he started?

-I think what raises eyebrows about Lin....there have been a lot of players who have been celebrated playing overseas before they get to the NBA. Like some of the european players. Or Dirk. Ginobili?

A lot of europeans have made big inroads into the NBA in the last 10-15 years, but they didn't get the coverage of lin.

-True, he's an underdog story.....but aren't a lot of players underdogs? Esp if you come from Nigeria, Sudan, Ethiopia or some place. Where making the NBA is pretty rare, or where basketball isn't very common.

The knicks haven't been past the first round of the playoffs in 10 years. I think that explains it.
Yao Ming was a tall and clusmy joke of a NBA player and you know that

Old 02-26-2012, 05:50 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,179,665 times
Quote:
He wasn't as bad as Shawn Bradley or someone. George Muresan?

Ming could legitimately play. And those rocket teams could have gone farther....if t mac had developed a playoff game.

I think Lin is a great player with a lot of potential. But I can't remember anyone with so many stats being dug up in only 2 weeks worth of play...i.e. most points in his first 6 starts, most points and assists, etc.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:02 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,196,086 times
Quote:
Yao was a joke? That is one of the most ignorant statements yet. Yao was arguably the best big man in the game for 2-3 yrs before his legs gave out. He could shoot, rebound, hit free throws, defend.... He might not have been graceful and athletic in the classic sense of the nba but he was in no way a joke.

And john, Yao had a ton of hype, maybe more then Lin. Lins is just compressed into a tighter period. Remember you can go to Netflix or blockbuster and rent "the year of the Yao" any time you like.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:16 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Yao was a joke? That is one of the most ignorant statements yet. Yao was arguably the best big man in the game for 2-3 yrs before his legs gave out. He could shoot, rebound, hit free throws, defend.... He might not have been graceful and athletic in the classic sense of the nba but he was in no way a joke.

And john, Yao had a ton of hype, maybe more then Lin. Lins is just compressed into a tighter period. Remember you can go to Netflix or blockbuster and rent "the year of the Yao" any time you like.
You don't remember Yao falling down all the time and couldn't stay on his feet during the game?

Old 02-26-2012, 09:17 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
He wasn't as bad as Shawn Bradley or someone. George Muresan?

Ming could legitimately play. And those rocket teams could have gone farther....if t mac had developed a playoff game.

I think Lin is a great player with a lot of potential. But I can't remember anyone with so many stats being dug up in only 2 weeks worth of play...i.e. most points in his first 6 starts, most points and assists, etc.
Whatever he was 6'2 on Offense and 5'11 on defense

Old 02-26-2012, 09:53 AM

51,924 posts, read 41,791,093 times
Yao made 5 x all-nba teams (2nd and 3rd team).

You don't make those by accident or popularity. He had a 3 year stretch averaging about 24pts and 10rebs a night.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:04 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,196,086 times
Anyone who averages 19-9, 2 assists, and 2 blocks for a career is no joke. Period

Old 02-26-2012, 11:36 AM

3,441 posts, read 5,002,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
^^^ 100% agree and taking a team lacking it's stars on a big win streak even against a weak line-up is huge coming from a deeeeeep bench player.

Really, anyone not *getting* why Lin is huge regardless of race etc. is frankly a clueless NBA fan and a complete BECKY.

FYI- Beckys are the gals that attend Cubs games, constantly tap out texts and couldn't name a player on either team or tell you how many innings are in a game.

Hammity ham ham hamd.....go away noobs.
You're a typical American.

If someone doesn't go with the flock, they are labeled "clueless".

If I don't conform to whatever the media said, I am outcasted.

Do I have to worship the corporate controlled media?

I choose to not be a sheeple like most of America who are not even knowledgeable about the NDAA that was signed by our president.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:37 AM

3,441 posts, read 5,002,913 times
Quote:
After scoring 38 points against the Lakers on National TV that's when all the hyped started. Why wouldn't it be hype? The way he peformed in that game was impressive
I am not saying it wasn't impressive. But the Lakers are the not the real Lakers like they were a few years ago and unfortunately are a shell of their former selves.

Darent Williams scored 38 points against the Knicks and we barely heard about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball