Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 01:06 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,151,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
True he had an high percentage of turnovers and fouls but as games progressed so has he, he's had less turnovers and fouls. He's learning.

Even with these turnovers and fouls he still put up nearly 30 points per game. How many other players on the Knicks team have done the same in consecutive games?

You forget he's a rookie with very little pro experience he'll only get better with more playing time.

One thing you can't replace with him is that he plays hard, he's hungry and will play with every ounce of energy left in him in order to score. Those first few games with the Knicks he played most of them the whole games with hardly any breaks during and in between games. Lin's energy spread through the rest of the team and they were also upbeat along with fans lifting them up too. Now some of you (fans of Lin) have turned too and your supportive energy is dying down too.

The rest of the Knicks now have picked up Melo's energy moreso when Melo returned and stand around not getting rebounds. I see Lin hustle for the ball (although lately I admit not as much...the whole team looks to be tired) and try for steals. I'll dare say Lin has been a positive influence on the rest of the team in so many ways including seeing other teammates going for the steal more often.

Lin may not be in Kobe Bryant's league yet but he's getting there and will get there mark my words.

Wow! Ok, you really lost me on that highlighted sentence. (SMHBT) That last BT I added. Do you know what it stands for? Big time..I'm freaking shaking my head big time at that. He's nowhere near Kobe's level. Furthermore, he's not Kobe. He's not even the pretend Lin NYC fell in love with. He's an average player who will soon be relegated to the bench. Where he belongs. I just don't buy this guy..He's lacking too many things..It was an awkward (for those who know basketball) ride, yet cute for those who've been waiting for years to cheer for the Knicks. They would have made an issue out of anyone at that point. The Knicks are starving for some attention. As well as some wins. Becuase we all know that it's been over a decade since they were relevent. It's been over thirty years since they won a title. We waited and thought that we would get that with the addition of Anthony, but found out otherwise..Which in my mind is hilarious. I was never on the Melo bandwagon. I thought they gave too much and some how had chemistry together, that somehow magically fell apart when he arrived. Melo is melo. He has never been a huge passer and he never played defense. This is what many fail to realize. You don't just become a passer because you know now that the team needs it. And you don't automatically turn on the defense. If it's lacking, you have to continue to work on it. He's a bit ego-tistical to me. To think that after all these years he could just turn on whats not with him. For whatever reason. Is beyond me..Sorry Melo, just being honest..

Lin's inefficiency to do all the things that I and others have pointed out is the Knicks problem. As well as Carmello Anthony. I am not one who believes that Carmello is any teams savior..He's a pad his stats guy who would rather have good numbers than win the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 01:40 PM

900 posts, read 2,372,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
Wow! Ok, you really lost me on that highlighted sentence. (SMHBT) That last BT I added. Do you know what it stands for? Big time..I'm freaking shaking my head big time at that. He's nowhere near Kobe's level.
Never said he was near Kobe's level but I said he's on his way.

Even (sorry) pre-rape trial Kobe wasn't present day Kobe. Sure he put up numbers but there were still other players outshining him (Jordan) in his early days. After that trial and when Shaq joined LA that really lit a fire under Kobe. Those squabbles with Shaq made Kobe want to prove he was the man, the MVP. Kobe's energy took it to another level.

I say Lin is the same sort of player. Just be patient we'll see.

(Hopefully without any controversy.)

Oh and we're on the same page with the rest of what you said.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:51 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,087,644 times
just the implication that jeremy lin will even be remotely in the out stratosphere of kobe in the nba is pure ridiculousness!

dude will not even be a starter by the end of the season barring more injuries.
barron davis already took almost all of his 4th quarter minutes, it wasnt until garbage time that lin came in and scored 8-10 points against the spurs backups backups. had ford not gotten smacked by davis from behind he would have been in and i dont know that lin would have scored half of those points.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:08 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,283,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
just the implication that jeremy lin will even be remotely in the out stratosphere of kobe in the nba is pure ridiculousness!

barron davis already took almost all of his 4th quarter minutes, it wasnt until garbage time that lin came in and scored 8-10 points against the spurs backups backups. had ford not gotten smacked by davis from behind he would have been in and i dont know that lin would have scored half of those points.
Lin is younger, smarter and faster than Baron Davis and he is a much better pg for D'Antoni's system. Do I think he's in Kobe's league? Not even close. Do I ever think he will be there? No, when Kobe retires, he'll go down as a top 5 player ever to play the game and Lin will obviously not even be in the top 1000 players ever to play.

Let's face the facts.

Cons - Even at 6'3", 200 he is still weak and gets pushed around. His defense is very suspect, his ball handling skills are questionable, and he surprisingly misses a lot of free throws.

Pros - He has knowledge for the game that can't be taught or learned. He's fast and quick. He surprisingly has a good jump shot. He hustles and is a team player. Once he gets more comfortable in the league and the spotlight is gone, he does have the potential to be a solid starting point guard for the Knicks for years to come. In his prime, he can easily average 15 points and 10 assists a game.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:31 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,670,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSnook View Post
Lin is younger, smarter and faster than Baron Davis and he is a much better pg for D'Antoni's system. Do I think he's in Kobe's league? Not even close. Do I ever think he will be there? No, when Kobe retires, he'll go down as a top 5 player ever to play the game and Lin will obviously not even be in the top 1000 players ever to play.

Let's face the facts.

Cons - Even at 6'3", 200 he is still weak and gets pushed around. His defense is very suspect, his ball handling skills are questionable, and he surprisingly misses a lot of free throws.

Pros - He has knowledge for the game that can't be taught or learned. He's fast and quick. He surprisingly has a good jump shot. He hustles and is a team player. Once he gets more comfortable in the league and the spotlight is gone, he does have the potential to be a solid starting point guard for the Knicks for years to come. In his prime, he can easily average 15 points and 10 assists a game.
The only thing you have right is Lin is younger. Davis is a better passer and better shooter. Davis isn't a great defender but he's better than Lin. Davis is better off the dribble too. I also don't know where you get Lin is a smarter basketball player. Lin makes many more bonehead decisions than Davis does. This is probably a perception because Lin went to Harvard.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:00 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,670,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post

Lin keeps getting worse and worse and the insane comparisons keep getting bigger and bigger. When Lin is sitting the bench on the bobcats these Lin fans will be talking about the greatest who ever lived who was never given a chance. They'll say he was the next Jordan who got shafted of a chance to reach his full potential

Old 03-09-2012, 06:56 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,174,225 times
Lin is a rookie (soph if you count last year), you just cannot compare him to the elite point guards that has been playing for years longer. His salary is at the minimum NBA. All the point guards that were used to compare to Lin has a salary at least 5 times, and some even 10 times. It is not a fair comparison.

The problem when Lin and Anthony is in the game, the paint is always guarded. When Lin and Anthony is out, and Novak and JR came in, they tear up the paint. Davis can gives an easy assist. If you put Lin in this situation, he will attacks the basket. Possible draw the foul, and 1, or if he draw the defenders, he will pass the ball out to Novak or JR or a 3. Davis will not able to do that.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:35 AM

3,440 posts, read 5,717,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSnook View Post

Let's face the facts.

Defense?

Lin has no defense.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:43 AM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
Defense?

Lin has no defense.
He's sub-par but he isn't Nash bad.
That means he's about even with Amare.

Also, other than Chandler the Knicks play crap-defense. That sure doesn't help things when your franchise PF and SF aren't helping out much.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:45 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I agree. And I basically said the same thing about a week ago. Lin was way overhyped. And now we are basically seeing it. I don't blame just Lin though. Anthony doesn't add a whole lot of positives too. He holds the ball too long, and the offense gets stagnant. The ball can be flowing well, like it did before Anthony gets back in, yet when it gets to him, it stops. He creates a sort of block in their offense. So when he isn't hitting, there a complete lost hope. Because they emphathise him far more than they should. This team just looks ugly right now. And I agree. Back to Lin. I think Baron Davis might be the best option at this point. What else is there. All the good guards have exposed Lin for being what he basically is. There is a reason he went so long unfound. He isn't that good. When they went on their run, they had nothing to lose and they played bad teams.

I don't know. I've never seen such an overhyped sensation. I knew all you Lin fans would be crying soon. I thought it was a cute story, but I knew it wasn't going to last. He's just not a decent point guard. He hesitates too much in places where he should throw an alley-oop or something. Then he dribbles it back and now another player loses their good position. Then repeat cycle. He's kind of weak too. They keep talking about how tuff he is, but he acts wimpy to me. Every freaking hit, he is cradling whatever got hit..

I personally think Lin and Anthony just doesn't work. I don't really know who is worse for the team at this point. Anthony never makes other players better so he doesn't bring much as a leader. Lin has too many constrictions on what he can do, so that doesn't bode well there. I just see this team as extremely lost.

What do you do in this situation. You put too much on Melo and he's not the sort of package that has it in all areas. He never played much defense and he slows the game down to his pace..Nevermind what way the team is playing at that particular moment..

Knicks once again fail to mix pieces. And I am going on record now by saying, they will not go far with this team. Tyson Chandler is probably the reason they win one playoff round and that's it. I can't see them advancing beyond that. And that's assuming he plays the type of defense that he can play. That's also assuming their not the last team in. If they have to face the Heat, it's a wrap.
I agree with most of your Lin commentary. I think he is "okay" (meaning he's good enough to warm the bench).

Chalmers Picks JEREMY Lin's Pocket KNICKS VS HEAT FEBRUARY 23 2012 - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball