U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-25-2012, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Asheville
7,529 posts, read 6,172,215 times
Reputation: 6869

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I will preface this by stating Aardvarks is a really nice guy and a good poster.

However, as usual when someone says the above I will call them on this. I am guessing you don't watch any NBA, but just have preconceived prejudices against it. If you did, you would realize that there is literally 0 times where and NBA player walks up the court. If they don't get back on defense it is because one of the world class players on the other team makes a play on a fast break that doesn't give them time. But thats not the same thing. As far as diving for balls, why in the world would a player like Derrick Rose who means so much to his franchise dive for a loose ball in the 1st quarter of a 12-12 game? Any thinking bulls fan would say, do NOT do that. If its an elimination game 7, fine, but no way in my example.

College basketball is NOT a better product. If you prefer it, fine, but it is not even close to a "better product" in the true sense of the word. It's sloppier, slower (seriously lol@ the 35 second shot clock) and has more mistakes. The format of march madness is romantic, and fun to watch, but as the moderator of this forum, I can tell you the regular season of college basketball generates NO traffic. This would suggest that while people often say that college bball is "better" it seems they just don't like basketball.

The other arguement, which Arrdy did not make, that I might as well address is the "NBA is full of thugs" crap. Currently off the top of my head here are some of the top NBA players: LBJ, Wade, Rose, Durant, Kobe, Howard, Duncan, Dirk, CP3, Kobe...Do any of those people seem like "thugs?" The days of Latrell Spreewell are gone, the league has done a great job of cracking down on any type of fighting or thuggery. Thug, is nothing more than a racist thing in this conversation said by white people (again, aardvarks did not say that).

"I like college basketball more than the NBA" = fine

"College basketball is a better product" = I don't know what better product means and/or have prejudices against the NBA.

Just because I happen to like aldi produce more than whole foods, does not make aldi brand stuff more nutritious, or up to the same standards.
let me 1st preface this with Orange is one of my favorite mods, and a knowledgeable poster

it is true I don't watch the NBA like I have in the past but I have looked in on a 1/2 dozen or so games this season, but it really doesn't keep my interest. but if you're suggesting these guys are busting it up and down the court for 48 minutes or even half of that and I'll say we'll have to agree to disagree on that point.

I've been watching quite of bit of big east regular season basketball the last few seasons and it's a meat grinder. every game is close late.

Perhaps I over stated things a tad in my 1st post saying it was a better product, obviously the players aren't as talented, but for me it's a much more exciting.

as to your other point about thugs, i've heard the same generalizations and it's BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-25-2012, 11:25 AM
 
Location: Asheville
7,529 posts, read 6,172,215 times
Reputation: 6869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I think you are confusing the dynamics of baseball as a sport vs. basketball with there being some sort of economic disparity.

If you build a good team it will be strong for a long time since 7 guys play the vast majority of minutes and will generally be effective for 10 years with a team.

Baseball has a lot more active players and the sport itself can be a bit volatile in terms of a single swing can win or lose a game.

The big difference however is you cannot just BUY a good NBA team like you generally can in MLB.
correction, if you're a small market team like we have here in Charlotte, and you get lucky with the ping pong ball. your team will be strong for a long time. however once that contract is up, it's back to the draft lottery with you. because your superstar is likely going to the Lakers.

in the MLB your superstar is going to the Yankees so where is the difference?

I agree with your 2nd point about 1 superstar can carry a team much farther in the NBA then they can in the MLB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2012, 03:09 PM
 
52,390 posts, read 42,133,031 times
Reputation: 32704
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
correction, if you're a small market team like we have here in Charlotte, and you get lucky with the ping pong ball. your team will be strong for a long time. however once that contract is up, it's back to the draft lottery with you. because your superstar is likely going to the Lakers.

in the MLB your superstar is going to the Yankees so where is the difference?

I agree with your 2nd point about 1 superstar can carry a team much farther in the NBA then they can in the MLB.
Don't confuse your ineptly run local franchise with small market issues. The Knicks are horribly run too and they've sucked for ages and are just now sorta "meh". In the NBA you cannot fix horrible ownership and management. In MLB you can just spend your way out of bad moves (Yankees).

Your metro area has a couple hundred thousand more people than San Antonio.
Detroit was successful with a small market, Indianapolis is smaller too and they've been a very good team over the years.

FYI- No one has strolled off to just join the Lakers since Shaq. The cap rules etc. have all significantly changed since then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2012, 08:52 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,489 posts, read 10,537,632 times
Reputation: 5402
The problem with the NBA when comparing it to the other pro sports leagues is that the star players are bigger than the teams. NBA fans more than any other type of sport fans, are more into being fans of the players rather than the team. Chances are if they are a fan of that star player, they will be a fan of whatever team that star player is on. I believe NBA fans in general are the least team loyal out of all the other pro sports leagues. I think that reason alone is why the NBA will never be as popular as the NFL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2012, 09:47 PM
 
52,390 posts, read 42,133,031 times
Reputation: 32704
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
The problem with the NBA when comparing it to the other pro sports leagues is that the star players are bigger than the teams. NBA fans more than any other type of sport fans, are more into being fans of the players rather than the team. Chances are if they are a fan of that star player, they will be a fan of whatever team that star player is on. I believe NBA fans in general are the least team loyal out of all the other pro sports leagues. I think that reason alone is why the NBA will never be as popular as the NFL.
I disagree. I'm a Bulls fan forever and thats just the way it is.

The NBA for a while marketed individual players during the Bird, Magic and then Jordan eras. That started to backfire on them so they went back to the team concept marketing.

It's a tough discussion because the NBA is currently pushing global and that means more star power. So there are just pros and cons to the discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2012, 04:14 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
167 posts, read 234,498 times
Reputation: 36
NBA and MLB might be on equal footing if you remove the fact that the NBA has to compete with the NFL (and the NHL) for the better part of the season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2012, 08:24 PM
Status: "What if there were no hypothetical questions?" (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: Sioux Falls, SD area
3,246 posts, read 4,685,724 times
Reputation: 5454
In the rest of the U.S. both sports may be equaling out. In the plains states, you have a hard time finding anyone that cares a rip about the NBA. Baseball is by far the more popular sport between the two. Neither sport is even remotely close to the NFL in popularity in our area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2012, 09:38 PM
 
89 posts, read 238,889 times
Reputation: 40
I went to college with Justin Verlander, was the RA on the "baseball floor," they were winning and nobody I knew (me included) ever saw a game. In contrast, our mid-major bball team routinely played in front of a packed house. Says a lot about the state of baseball...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2012, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,783,767 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carioca Da Gema View Post
I went to college with Justin Verlander, was the RA on the "baseball floor," they were winning and nobody I knew (me included) ever saw a game. In contrast, our mid-major bball team routinely played in front of a packed house. Says a lot about the state of baseball...
No, it doesnt. College baseball is not as popular as college basketball. That doesnt show anything about the overall sports but just those sports at that level. It has always been that way so I am not sure what kind of point you are trying to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2012, 07:21 PM
Status: "What if there were no hypothetical questions?" (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: Sioux Falls, SD area
3,246 posts, read 4,685,724 times
Reputation: 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
No, it doesnt. College baseball is not as popular as college basketball. That doesnt show anything about the overall sports but just those sports at that level. It has always been that way so I am not sure what kind of point you are trying to make.
Good response. You might have to go to some rare exception like Wichita State to find any college where baseball is more popular than basketball. This changes dramatically when you start talking pro sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top