U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 07:51 AM

3,513 posts, read 3,251,784 times

Advertisements

couple facts that makes me believe it is tied or already the number 2 league:

1. the younger demo trends basketball over baseball.
2. social media you can't even compare mlb to nba.
3. nba finals rating at a higher level then mlb world series finals in recent seasons.
4. more famous stars.
5. more global then mlb.
6. attendance? (too lazy to check)
7. better sponsorship and tv deals, at least in my opinion.

thoughts, comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 07:55 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,214,380 times
um baseball is boring. i went to high school with lance berkman so we used to go watch him play when he was an astro. i remember watching him playing 1st base with a bag of sunflower seeds in his glove, not even watching the play. it seems even players get bored.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:42 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,950,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post

3. nba finals rating at a higher level then mlb world series finals in recent seasons.
4. more famous stars.
5. more global then mlb.

thoughts, comments?
If you bring up global, then neither is number 2 sport (i.e. Soccer #1, Football #2).

Old 02-25-2012, 09:22 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,214,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
If you bring up global, then neither is number 2 sport (i.e. Soccer #1, Football #2).
Actually if your talking globally, American football is not even in the top 10 in most popular sports.

Soccer (futbol or football depending on where you are) is 1
Cricket is 2.
Tennis is 3
Field hockey 4
Baseball is 5
Basketball is 6.
Volleyball 7
Table tennis or ping pong is 8
Rugby is 9 and
Golf is 10 in the world rankings according to about 5 different websites I have found.

American football is not popular anywhere but north America really. A lot of the world laughs at it because of the pads. Go watch a rugby game or Hurley. Rough games.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:49 PM

52,114 posts, read 41,928,321 times
Baseball is dead to me. The strike, then the roid era and the incredible imbalance of economics....meh.

Baseball is vastly supported by all the people that got hooked in thier youth decades ago. It's going to be under A LOT of pressure as the boomers die off since they don't do nearly as well with the youth as the NBA and other sports.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:33 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,760,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post

4. more famous stars.
5. more global then mlb.

thoughts, comments?

The NBA isnt even close to surpassing MLB. It's like comparing an ant hill to a mountain. If you think the NBA is even close to surpassing MLB then you arent qualified to have this discussion. Some statistics show that the NBA is actually on a big decline financially. I read an article awhile back about how the NBA might be in huge trouble in about 10 years due to their business practices and how they are losing fans.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:49 AM

52,114 posts, read 41,928,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
The NBA isnt even close to surpassing MLB. It's like comparing an ant hill to a mountain. If you think the NBA is even close to surpassing MLB then you arent qualified to have this discussion. Some statistics show that the NBA is actually on a big decline financially. I read an article awhile back about how the NBA might be in huge trouble in about 10 years due to their business practices and how they are losing fans.
Actually.....they are closer than I would have guessed and based on your comments will probably shock you.

sports-recreation-leisure-market-research - statistics

7.2bil revenues for MLB and 4.1bil for the NBA.
The average NBA team is worth about 75% of the average MLB team.

The NBA had some issues in the last 10 years, especially with their image post-jordan and a number of scandals and d-bag behavior from some of their biggest stars. However, they seem to be recovering from that IMO.

MLB doesn't even remotely have a handle on player salaries and so forth and a lot of MLB fans are oblivious because the team they cheer for is doing ok.
There are many MLB franchises on the ropes and the imbalance is just getting worse each day.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:44 AM

167 posts, read 234,078 times
ESPN ran a poll during the lockout that asked fans which league (MLB or NBA) they cared more about. If I recall correctly, 65-67% voted in favor of MLB -- the preference of all 50 states.

So, I think the NBA is still a ways away from overtaking MLB. The NBA is still perceived as the league with the least amount of parity. There needs to be a healthier balance of big-market/small-market success and some upsets here and there.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:38 AM

3,569 posts, read 6,033,356 times
Wait till all the old people die.
No offense.

No young person really cares about baseball.
It's boring.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:42 AM

12,220 posts, read 10,451,669 times
Baseball tradition is still deeply rooted in generations of Americans, but agree it is slowly eroding.
I grew up obsessed with baseball, as it was taught to me by my father & grandfather (who both grew up attending Tiger Stadium). Baseball is still my most passionate sport, but basketball is slowly replacing it due to the disparity in the game.
Though the amnesty clause was a bit silly in principle (NBA owners being allowed to cover their own stupid mistakes), it will help offset what was becoming an increasingly polarized league between teams in the large and small markets. Hopefully OKC will be able to keep their current core together a long time, and will set the precedent not all NBA winners come from the largest 6-8 metro areas in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or