U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2012, 02:37 PM

7,742 posts, read 6,141,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
This, in a nutshell.

Pippen was listed at SF, but he was quite clearly playing a 'point guard' role as far as facilitating and setting up the Triangle. This is precisely why the PG spot in the Triangle offense was designed for spot-up shooters who could make teams pay for doubling Jordan and Pippen. Hence why John Paxson, B.J Armstrong, and Steve Kerr were utilized in that spot; they were all basically the same player in terms of their role. The only time they diverted from that model was when Harper was in the line-up.
I agree, but everybody participated in setting up the triangle. The only ones that didn't seem to be the point guard and that seem to be because they were spot up shooters...ie Steve Kerr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 05:30 PM

3,653 posts, read 3,879,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I agree, but everybody participated in setting up the triangle. The only ones that didn't seem to be the point guard and that seem to be because they were spot up shooters...ie Steve Kerr.
To a degree, but you still need someone with the ball handling skills and knowledge of the offense to initiate it. Pippen was that guy....

Old 03-28-2012, 10:01 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,882,165 times
Now i know why Kobe likes to shoot it so much...

Old 03-29-2012, 04:36 AM

7,742 posts, read 6,141,582 times
Lmao! Kobe takes some bad shots. My question is how can people say he's a better shooter than Jordan when MJ had a higher Fg%?

Old 03-29-2012, 07:13 AM

51,928 posts, read 41,798,494 times
Quote:
Lmao! Kobe takes some bad shots. My question is how can people say he's a better shooter than Jordan when MJ had a higher Fg%?
I've addressed that either in this thread earlier or in another.

2 main reasons:

1. MJ was better at getting to the rim and finishing.
2. Kobe shoots a lot more 3-pointers which are of course a lower FG%.

I'd give the edge to Kobe in terms of shooting from 18 feet out and further...and that's it. 15feet and in Jordan is more dominant.

Their games really are different at the offensive end IMO.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:25 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,879,409 times
Quote:

I'd say he has an ability to make tougher long range shots. Then again, I can only make that claim in the absence of Jordan taking so many ill-advised range shots to begin with.

Now let me be clear: Jordan took his share of 'questionable' shots as well, but at a far less frequent rate than Kobe does. His higher field goal percentage is a combination of being more of a slasher, particularly in his prime, and being a better finisher. I've yet to see anyone find the seams and adjust in the air, on the fly, like Jordan did around the rim. He also took fare less 3pointers, and generally took smarter shots, and instead of using a lot of fancy dribbling, relied more on ball and head/shoulder shakes and shimmys to make the defender commit one way, giving Jordan the ability to explode in the other direction with his legendary first step.

Another point I note about Jordan,is that he was more of a quick-strike guy. Meaning whereas Kobe, Wade, Lebron, etc get the ball, survey the defense, wait for the defense to come to them and then react to it, Jordan would catch the ball and immediately make a move, thereby putting the defense on its heels from the start. In simple terms, Jordan made the defense react to him, whereas Kobe and Co. react to the defense. Subtle, but important distinction. That's why you see Kobe employing a number of ball fakes and counter-moves to get off a shot; you saw less of that with Jordan because he was much quicker in how he'd attack a defender. He'd explode one direction, stop on a dime, rise up a few feet, and fade away from the rim at the same time. Unstoppable move when he was on, and, well, why say all that when a few videos would suffice :

Michael Jordan jumpers and fadeaways BALL IN HAND Part 1 - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhaVkm9Vs3M

Old 03-29-2012, 09:02 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,196,086 times
i really like this article, it very much sums up my thoughts on kobe i think. or at least part of them....

The truth about Kobe Bryant in crunch time - TrueHoop Blog - ESPN

Old 03-29-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i really like this article, it very much sums up my thoughts on kobe i think. or at least part of them....

That's a brilliant article that uses hard cold stats and also commentary from none other than Phil Jackson to paint the picture I've seen with my own eyes.

This reminds me of the Robert Horry garbage about how *clutch* he was when in reality he just happened to get lots and lots of chances and people develop amnesia like his last year in LA where he shot 2-37 from 3-point range in the playoffs to knock his team out of the playoffs.

It's long but well worth the time to read the whole article.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:18 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,413,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post

great article... Thanks for sharing

Not surprised at all by his numbers in the clutch.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:19 AM

Kobe is pushing for that scoring title, Lakers be damned.

Shooting more and at only a 42.5% accuracy which is his lowest since his ROOKIE YEAR. Too bad he doesn't have any teamates that are good?

I suggest with Gasol and Bynum that he play an inside-out game especially with Bynums strong offensive performance but he didn't even want to do that with legends Shaq and Phil surrounding him. Now with a new coach and Bynum younger etc. Kobe isn't going to hear any of this garbage....give him the ball and let him do everything....his ego is starting to write checks his body can't cash.

I'm wondering just how ugly it gets with the Lakers if Kobe keeps playing this way. Probably depends if they exit in the 1st round or second. Then again the laker apologists always forget his bad shots and blame everyone else. I'm waiting for Bynum to demand a trade and Kobe getting shipped, now THAT would be ironic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball