U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-26-2012, 05:04 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
927 posts, read 1,209,428 times
Reputation: 476

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
Shouldn't they have some more money though without Odom, Fisher, Walton? The Lakers are only a player or two away from being best in the west, so that's incentive for someone to go. Spurs aren't going to get better and Deron will only help Dallas so much.
In answer to your question, no. The LAL have way too much money tied up with Bryant/Gasol/Bynum to offer anyone of note any decent sized contract. Secondly, believe it or not, the Spurs are rumored now to be after Nicholas Batum. And they may get him. Which would make them even more dominating then they are now and they are already the best team in the league. And light years ahead of the Lakers. Sorry, but i just don't see the LAL improving next season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-26-2012, 05:37 AM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,196,086 times
Reputation: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
In answer to your question, no. The LAL have way too much money tied up with Bryant/Gasol/Bynum to offer anyone of note any decent sized contract. Secondly, believe it or not, the Spurs are rumored now to be after Nicholas Batum. And they may get him. Which would make them even more dominating then they are now and they are already the best team in the league. And light years ahead of the Lakers. Sorry, but i just don't see the LAL improving next season.
spurs are NOT getting batum. he is going to be demanding 10-11 mil, and he is restricted. if the spurs even wanted to offer him that money its sign duncan for 10 mil or sign batum to an offer sheet that the blazers will surely match. blazers have been very vocal is saying they will match for batum on anything. it would take a max deal of 15+ to land him.

you are correct on the lakers though, no money no way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2012, 06:53 AM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,879,801 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
So durant is .1 points better the Kobe. Kobe will 39points in the last game against the kings to get the scoring title.

Any "bets" on the over under on the 39 points??

I'm thinking he hits 40 and stops just to get that title.
Silly. Imagine a scenario where Kobe gets injured chucking his way to a 3rd scoring title. What's the bigger picture? I mean seriously Kobe, you've got 2 scoring titles. Jordan has 10. You're 34 this year. You're not catching him, if the idea is to narrow the gap and add another bullet point in that debate.

The bigger picture is the NBA title. Mike Brown is a moron for giving into him as well, but then again we know he's not really in control. I'm assuming the Lakers are locked into their playoff spot, because from what I've read Kobe has requested all the starters be removed from the lineup except him. If that's the case then this game has nothing to do with winning, so prepare for an epic chuckfest so that he can beat Durant by mere percentage points, for a scoring title that's pretty inconsequential at this stage in his career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2012, 07:22 AM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,196,086 times
Reputation: 1982
I had not heard that Kobe asked to sit everyone. If that's true then it proves to me how much he wants his ego stroked. Kobe IMO is as bad as artest for the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2012, 07:28 AM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,879,801 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
I had not heard that Kobe asked to sit everyone. If that's true then it proves to me how much he wants his ego stroked. Kobe IMO is as bad as artest for the game.
I read it somewhere but damned if I can find the link now. Don't take it as gospel for the time being....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2012, 07:43 AM
 
51,928 posts, read 41,798,494 times
Reputation: 32398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Silly. Imagine a scenario where Kobe gets injured chucking his way to a 3rd scoring title. What's the bigger picture? I mean seriously Kobe, you've got 2 scoring titles. Jordan has 10. You're 34 this year. You're not catching him, if the idea is to narrow the gap and add another bullet point in that debate.

The bigger picture is the NBA title. Mike Brown is a moron for giving into him as well, but then again we know he's not really in control. I'm assuming the Lakers are locked into their playoff spot, because from what I've read Kobe has requested all the starters be removed from the lineup except him. If that's the case then this game has nothing to do with winning, so prepare for an epic chuckfest so that he can beat Durant by mere percentage points, for a scoring title that's pretty inconsequential at this stage in his career.
Kobe will absolutely go for the scoring title....I'm not sold that it's that big of a deal and most of the fans want him to do it so <shrug>. However, you are correct that there is indeed some risk.

In fairness, the Spurs did this for David Robinson back in the day but I think that was early in his career, I cannot recall.

I look at Kobe shooting more than in the last 4-5 years and his points are up but his FG% is down. For now, it's not as perceptible but what about in 2 more years? I just see this trainwreck coming with Bynums development and the coach etc. and if Kobe's FG% keeps dipping and he's still taking 23 shots a game....it will get ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2012, 07:55 AM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,879,801 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Kobe will absolutely go for the scoring title....I'm not sold that it's that big of a deal and most of the fans want him to do it so <shrug>. However, you are correct that there is indeed some risk.

In fairness, the Spurs did this for David Robinson back in the day but I think that was early in his career, I cannot recall.
1994 was the year Admiral posted 71, so he had to be 5-6 years in the league at that point.

And yes, he's not going to publicly admit something so petty, but as you say, we know he's going for it. And against the Kings too? Yeahhhhh......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2012, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,879,801 times
Reputation: 1802
Breaking news! Kobe isn't playing tonight afterall.

Twitter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2012, 01:51 PM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,196,086 times
Reputation: 1982
I was sooo looking forward to gunner Kobe coming out to party
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2012, 04:26 PM
 
51,928 posts, read 41,798,494 times
Reputation: 32398
Holy crap.

Well, I tip my hat to Kobe that he isn't out there gunning for the title. He deserves some praise for that.

His adjusted shooting percentage was his worst of any year he was a pro this year. Lower than the league average even. I think if he starts letting Bynum and Pau be the focal point he can take fewer shots a game, score almost as much and extend his career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top