U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 01:42 PM

30,364 posts, read 18,688,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I actually think Durant is better poised to be scoring at a 30 ppg clip once he hits 33 years old, than Lebron. The nature of his offensive game in IMO built to age gracefully, I'm not sure I can say the same about Lebron unless he continues to improve his shooting, footwork, post game, etc. But at this rate, Lebron will probably hit 20,000 midway through next season, and that's taking into account that he lost 17 games this year due to the lockout. That alone amounts to over 400 points lost at his current scoring average. Heck, Durant likely would have passed 10,000 this year if not for the lockout, and he's 23. So yeah, if either of those two play in good health to about 35 with high production, they're going to be knocking on Kareem's door as well( assuming Kobe doesn't quite make it).
Yeah, there are just soooooo many NBA players that get into their 30's have a couple injuries and just fall apart.

Vince Carter (around 33)
McGrady (age 29)
Iverson (33)
Nique (35) Built like Lebron
Dr J (around 34) Built like Kobe
Gary Payton (around 35)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 01:57 PM

2,671 posts, read 2,106,436 times
I thought that last night too. Kobe is looking to pad his stats while he can. He knows they aint gonna win nothing this year. The thing in the end, him and Lebron have over MJ is about six or more years...MJ did the college thing. They didn't. They came straight outta highschool. Plus MJ retired for the better part of two years..They will have about six or more seasons on MJ when it's all said and done. They should have more points, all star mvp's etc..But compare the same amount of seasons and MJ is still above and beyond those two..That's my two cents..MJ in the finals 6-0..Enough said...MJ still the best.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:08 PM

3,534 posts, read 1,903,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
But compare the same amount of seasons and MJ is still above and beyond those two..
Yep. Jordan did more in 15 seasons, than Kobe did in 15. Kobe's had a heck of a career, but line them up side by side, he falls a little short in some cases, and a lot in others.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:57 PM

5,609 posts, read 3,993,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Yep. Jordan did more in 15 seasons, than Kobe did in 15. Kobe's had a heck of a career, but line them up side by side, he falls a little short in some cases, and a lot in others.
The only differences I see in that, Kobe came in at a younger age thus his game and mind where not as mature as Jordan their 1st few years. I think when Kobe retires you start at the end for them both and go backwards to compare.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
The only differences I see in that, Kobe came in at a younger age thus his game and mind where not as mature as Jordan their 1st few years. I think when Kobe retires you start at the end for them both and go backwards to compare.
Even if you erase the first 2-3 years for Kobe he still lags in FG% and ppg.

Additionally, Kobe is getting to play more of his career in a looser scoring environment than Jordan did.

The finals MVP imbalance isn't going to change either because barring a miracle Kobe won't see the finals again until he is 36-37 at the earliest and won't be *the man* on that team at that time.

Kobe will wind up with the longer career but even now you can see that he is unable to exert fully at both ends of the court so he is declining a little.

IMO Kobe's development as a player was slowed because of all the Shaq stuff and he didn't reach his peak level until he was 27-28 while Jordan peaked at an earlier age...maybe 25-26.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:36 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,176,379 times
I wouldn't say he has no chance to win another championship but unless they rehaul their bench, they will never win another one.

It's going to be hard to break Kareem's record but Kobe will manage to break other records.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:51 PM

758 posts, read 571,906 times
What legacy? He is done

Old 02-28-2012, 07:09 AM

5,609 posts, read 3,993,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Even if you erase the first 2-3 years for Kobe he still lags in FG% and ppg.

but jordan didnt have dominant scorers to share the ball with like shaq so ppg suffers

Additionally, Kobe is getting to play more of his career in a looser scoring environment than Jordan did.

this isnt exactly true, kobe and jordan BOTH played on 3 teams who won 45 or less games in a season (taking the lockout as a full season %) jordan had 2 47 win seasons and 3 losing-500 seasons, kobe had 2 losing seasons, and other then his 3 "bad seasons" never won less then 50 games.

The finals MVP imbalance isn't going to change either because barring a miracle Kobe won't see the finals again until he is 36-37 at the earliest and won't be *the man* on that team at that time.

jordan didnt have to share with a dominant player, pippen was great but pippen was no shaq

Kobe will wind up with the longer career but even now you can see that he is unable to exert fully at both ends of the court so he is declining a little.

i agree he has a little decline in him, mainly because of the injuries he didnt/doesnt allow himself time/treatment to recover from

IMO Kobe's development as a player was slowed because of all the Shaq stuff and he didn't reach his peak level until he was 27-28 while Jordan peaked at an earlier age...maybe 25-26.
i always wonder if kobe would be better or worse if he had never had shaq. i think he would have been worse honestly.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
I wouldn't say he has no chance to win another championship but unless they rehaul their bench, they will never win another one.

It's going to be hard to break Kareem's record but Kobe will manage to break other records.
Yep. And it's not just their bench....they need to rehaul at PG, SF and bench.
The 3 big contracts killing them are Walton, Peace, Fish....and who is going to trade for any of those guys?

After NEXT year they will only have Artest, so the rebuilding can at least partially start then.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
but jordan didnt have dominant scorers to share the ball with like shaq so ppg suffers

this isnt exactly true, kobe and jordan BOTH played on 3 teams who won 45 or less games in a season (taking the lockout as a full season %) jordan had 2 47 win seasons and 3 losing-500 seasons, kobe had 2 losing seasons, and other then his 3 "bad seasons" never won less then 50 games.
comments:

1) Toss out Kobe's first few years since he didn't play as much and he is getting about 1 shot a game less than Jordan over his career which accounts for about 1ppg. Now look at their FG% and Jordan's is notably higher which is worth about 2.5ppg. That is more or less the difference when you add those two together and trim off Kobe's early years. Jordan shot a little more and was a more efficient scorer given his style of offensive play is different than Kobes.

2) I was referring to the NBA as a whole loosening up the game, stopping handchecks etc. which has ushered in the era of the smaller players while Jordan played in the era of the "big man". Kobe has played more of his career in a looser scoring environment is all I was saying and I have no way of quantifying this. (P.S. We could also argue that having Pippen around allowed Jordan to focus more energy offensively where especially now....Kobe's got zero help out at the perimeter.

3) Your second block of comments I'm just not following. I think it's impossible to compare which player had more winning seasons and so forth as the conference they play in and obviously the quality of their teamates matters greatly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball