U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-26-2012, 04:39 PM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,198,412 times
Reputation: 1982

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Holy crap.

Well, I tip my hat to Kobe that he isn't out there gunning for the title. He deserves some praise .
Man you fell right in his narcissistic trap! HA!

He went from "I could do it if I want, any time I want" to show he is that good to the "I don't need to do that, I'm to good for that".

Lol tongue in cheek of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-26-2012, 04:45 PM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,198,412 times
Reputation: 1982
To be honest I think Kobe had doubts about if he would even be able to get the 38+ needed. Better to now out then to look like your trying and ultimately fail at the attempt. Nothing worse then letting your ego write that check when your well you know the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2012, 05:25 PM
 
51,940 posts, read 41,806,773 times
Reputation: 32403
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
To be honest I think Kobe had doubts about if he would even be able to get the 38+ needed. Better to now out then to look like your trying and ultimately fail at the attempt. Nothing worse then letting your ego write that check when your well you know the rest.
I have no doubt he could drop 38+. However, at what price and the sportscenter type guys would rip him a new one for going for an individual accomplishment as they head into the playoffs down Artest and with old legs that haven't gotten the rest the other more mature teams have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2012, 08:06 PM
JL
 
7,352 posts, read 11,885,191 times
Reputation: 7198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I have no doubt he could drop 38+. However, at what price and the sportscenter type guys would rip him a new one for going for an individual accomplishment as they head into the playoffs down Artest and with old legs that haven't gotten the rest the other more mature teams have.
KD tweeted earlier today to the Kings---"Double team that Mamba"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2012, 07:25 AM
 
51,940 posts, read 41,806,773 times
Reputation: 32403
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
KD tweeted earlier today to the Kings---"Double team that Mamba"
Bwah hah hah.

Well, one of them will get the last laugh if they meet up in the 2nd round.

I am so excited about the playoffs this year. There are just endless possibilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2012, 05:23 PM
JL
 
7,352 posts, read 11,885,191 times
Reputation: 7198
Default Kobe is the problem, not the solution

This article came out a couple of days ago. I think he is spot on. I also think that many stars don't want to play with Kobe due to him shooting alot or likely coaching them or directing them on what to do. Other stars have egos too, so when you start telling what they did wrong on a play, it most likely will get to them over time. That wasn't mentioned in the article, but that is something i think most stars believe deep down, but won't say it publicly.

Kobe Bryant is the problem, not the solution for Lakers - latimes.com

Here is some interesting excerpts from it:

"And Kobe hit 32.7% of his shots down the stretch to place him 109th in the NBA in field-goal percentage. When Bynum was given the chance to shoot in the closing stages of a game, he was successful 82% of the time to place No. 1 in the NBA."

"Kobe hit 21.4% of his three-pointers on what 82games.com calls its list of "clutch" stats in the final five minutes to place No. 73. Think about your own expectations and how you would swear Kobe is this amazing killer down the stretch and yet he's hitting two for 10 from long range."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2012, 09:32 AM
 
51,940 posts, read 41,806,773 times
Reputation: 32403
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
This article came out a couple of days ago. I think he is spot on. I also think that many stars don't want to play with Kobe due to him shooting alot or likely coaching them or directing them on what to do. Other stars have egos too, so when you start telling what they did wrong on a play, it most likely will get to them over time. That wasn't mentioned in the article, but that is something i think most stars believe deep down, but won't say it publicly.

Kobe Bryant is the problem, not the solution for Lakers - latimes.com

Here is some interesting excerpts from it:

"And Kobe hit 32.7% of his shots down the stretch to place him 109th in the NBA in field-goal percentage. When Bynum was given the chance to shoot in the closing stages of a game, he was successful 82% of the time to place No. 1 in the NBA."

"Kobe hit 21.4% of his three-pointers on what 82games.com calls its list of "clutch" stats in the final five minutes to place No. 73. Think about your own expectations and how you would swear Kobe is this amazing killer down the stretch and yet he's hitting two for 10 from long range."
I pointed out very similar statistics in another thread around here. In the round they were eliminated he had a number of really bad 4th quarters. Now in fairness, he has been much better in the past, but it seems like he isn't pacing himself and aging gracefully but rather has been bombing long-range shots with tired legs.

The people pointing to Bynum and Gasol as the problem with the lakers in the finals are just wearing the rose-colored glasses of yesterday with regards to Kobe. I'm probably 50/50 right now on whether the Lakers will go through a fiery implosion or come out of this ok with off-season moves. Their management is going to earn their paychecks the next few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2012, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,247,479 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I pointed out very similar statistics in another thread around here. In the round they were eliminated he had a number of really bad 4th quarters. Now in fairness, he has been much better in the past, but it seems like he isn't pacing himself and aging gracefully but rather has been bombing long-range shots with tired legs.
Be that as it may, it's still fun watching him put the ball in the basket, even if his team gets railroaded in the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2012, 10:10 AM
 
Location: SUNNY AZ
4,589 posts, read 11,972,523 times
Reputation: 1841
Says it all......lol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2012, 10:16 AM
 
51,940 posts, read 41,806,773 times
Reputation: 32403
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Be that as it may, it's still fun watching him put the ball in the basket, even if his team gets railroaded in the process.
I can appreciate that.

I started the entire thread under the general premise that with the Lakers not really having a championship team anymore if Kobe isn't just saying f*ck it, I'm going to just do my thing because we aren't getting a ring this year anyway.

The only *real* danger is if team sentiment gets bad enough that the Lakers post-kobe future is damaged.
The Lakers have had a really charmed stretch, I think there is an illusion that they can't have a prolonged rough stretch like what the Bulls, Knicks and others have gone through. Perhaps that's true, they are a well-run franchise no doubt about it.

The teams management has also started taking steps towards the future and not the now with some of their late season trades of Fisher etc.

My top interests in the off-season are:
1) Laker trades
2) Dwight Howard
3) How rose is rehabbing

Say what you want about Kobe but he's never dull.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top