U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 02:51 PM

51,924 posts, read 41,791,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
tanking is a good strategy for them at this point, but the question is how do they rebuild after tanking. I think the Lakers could easily end up like the NY Knicks--a once-proud franchise that turned into a laughingstock. Only time will tell, but all signs point to the Lakers following in the footsteps of the Knicks.
I doubt it, the Knicks owners are absolute morons. That's the problem with the east, they have some really inept ownership....although the Knicks did hire Phil Jackson but I personally suspect to hear he quit out of exasperation with their meddling sometime down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 10:45 PM

2,535 posts, read 2,026,770 times
The talent is not as strong with so many "one and done" draftees each year. In the past, a team could tank and anticipate having a shot at a cluster of super gifted juniors and seniors; players with national recognition and acclaim. Now you have guys that are known for some dunks on the AAU circuit and a one or two game exit in the NCAA tournament.

I don't blame the young athletes. This goes to the NBA general managers and owners. More than any sport, they seem to need protection from themselves. In today's league, tanking only awards you an opportunity to select from the unknown. The successful teams can sign free agents while also having a knack for finding young players internationally, in the D-League and in the draft. The West definitely seems to have better leadership at the top.

If you think about it, the West has been dominant for nearly 20 years. There have been instances recently where you needed to win 50 games just to ensure that you have a playoff spot. I think the Mavericks won 49 last year and got the 8th seed (and a date with the Spurs) as their prize. 49 to 50 wins in the East will get you in the 3rd to 5th seed range most years, with no threat of missing out entirely.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
The talent is not as strong with so many "one and done" draftees each year. In the past, a team could tank and anticipate having a shot at a cluster of super gifted juniors and seniors; players with national recognition and acclaim. Now you have guys that are known for some dunks on the AAU circuit and a one or two game exit in the NCAA tournament.

I don't blame the young athletes. This goes to the NBA general managers and owners. More than any sport, they seem to need protection from themselves. In today's league, tanking only awards you an opportunity to select from the unknown. The successful teams can sign free agents while also having a knack for finding young players internationally, in the D-League and in the draft. The West definitely seems to have better leadership at the top.

If you think about it, the West has been dominant for nearly 20 years. There have been instances recently where you needed to win 50 games just to ensure that you have a playoff spot. I think the Mavericks won 49 last year and got the 8th seed (and a date with the Spurs) as their prize. 49 to 50 wins in the East will get you in the 3rd to 5th seed range most years, with no threat of missing out entirely.
That's a fair assessment.

The one-and-done thing has been going on for 20 years or more too.

The greatest drool-over-#1 in the NBA in recent years has been:

Lebron, Shaq, Duncan (he stayed 4 years as a promise to his dying mom), Robinson (Military obligation)

That's about 1 every 4-5 years where you are like "wow, this guy is going to be at least an all-star."

Old 11-28-2014, 10:26 PM

2,800 posts, read 1,769,018 times
I think Kobe knows deep down that this Lakers team is not going to win a Championship so he is jacking up shots because he wants to make sure he passes Jordan on the all time scoring list.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
I think Kobe knows deep down that this Lakers team is not going to win a Championship so he is jacking up shots because he wants to make sure he passes Jordan on the all time scoring list.
I don't think it's down deep. He knows it. Everybody on the team knows it. The fans know it. My pet dog knows it.

I hope Kobe doesn't play a game for anyone but the Lakers.....but if that's the case he'll never see the playoffs again before reitrement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball