U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 07:35 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,196,988 times

Advertisements

excuse me i took your "looser" comment as a loser IE being the scorer on a losing team type situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 08:18 AM

51,928 posts, read 41,798,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
excuse me i took your "looser" comment as a loser IE being the scorer on a losing team type situation.
Ah, I understand now.

Anyway, it's good to see Kobe hanging in there and his dedication to the game and physical conditioning have always been top notch. Injuries are impossible to guess at but he's done what is within his power to remain effective as long as possible. I also think it's smart of him to score more etc. since it's sure not going to hurt his team and Fish and Peace are shooting around 35%.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:21 AM

Fisher should have retired 2 yrs ago and I refuse to call attest that stupid propaganda grabbing name!

Old 02-28-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Fisher should have retired 2 yrs ago and I refuse to call attest that stupid propaganda grabbing name!
Yep. Look at the Lakers 3pt FG% as a team...bottom of the NBA.
Fish shouldn't be starting, it's that simple.

However, Mr. Whirled Peas has *real* mental health issues so I don't think it's anything other than that and I have some sympathy for anyone with those kinds of issues.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:01 PM

1,198 posts, read 2,049,385 times
Honestly, how many more years do you think Kobe has left in him as an Elite, Ultra, Super, Star Player? when do you see him retiring?

Old 02-28-2012, 02:21 PM

i expect kobe plays 5 moire seasons barring major injury and i expect he is still averaging upper teens per game at that time.

math.... kobe is taking more shots this year, BUT his fg% has dropped (especially from 3) i wonder could that be more a result of his wrist injury then decline? i think its very possible that he could/should be shooting at least his average fg% if that wrist wasnt jacked up.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:11 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,180,065 times
I don't know about 5 years. That's a long time in the NBA world.

I think it'd be a miracle if he can go 5 years at 80 games a season, or whatever he needs to catch Kareem. Kareem is an anomaly...there's a reason why he has the record. I don't think it'll fall easily.

My guess is maybe 3 1/2 years, maybe 4. It's hard to picture Bryant at 38?? still playing. He's bought a lot of time not getting his finger fixed, etc....how many games has he played in that would have been lost to injury?

Like a car that hasn't gotten the service maintance at 50,000 miles, 100,000. I dont know. Lebron and Durant might benefit from improved training, conditioning in the future. Who knows?

Between the NBA's finances (more lockouts?) and injuries, he's going to need a lot of luck for 5 seasons.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:08 AM

I don't think 5 is all that much. Steve Nash, Jason kidd, Jordan, Malone, hell Kurt Thomas, motombo was like 52 yrs old. Kobe can do 5 yrs, there will not be another lockout before then, and no reason he can't get 65-70 games per season.

I think he has a chance to reach Kareem, but he might not. If 3 yrs from now he is remotely close then I'm betting he plays until he gets it. Even if it's 10ppg at 40yrs old.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:09 AM

297 posts, read 340,340 times
Quote:
math.... kobe is taking more shots this year, BUT his fg% has dropped (especially from 3) i wonder could that be more a result of his wrist injury then decline? i think its very possible that he could/should be shooting at least his average fg% if that wrist wasnt jacked up.
Kobe's FG% while nearing Allen Iverson territory, has dropped down to this level before. In back to back season in '03-'04 and '04-'05 Kobe shot .438 and .433 respectively. He's currently shooting .435. And in both those years it looks like Kobe battled injuries because he only played in 65 and 66 games. So you might have a case about injuries. Obviously Kobe was able to bounce back from poor shooting in those years so perhaps he can do it again.

As you mentioned is 3pt FG% is way down. And the double edged sword is that Kobe is attempting more 3 pointers. He hasn't shot this many since the '07-'08 season.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
i expect kobe plays 5 moire seasons barring major injury and i expect he is still averaging upper teens per game at that time.

Perhaps, but he has had all kinds of finger etc. ailments before.
It might be that teams aren't respecting Peas and Fish quite so much at the arc and that lets them D Kobe a little more. Also he is 33 and with the compressed schedule he might have a little more leg fatigue.

IMO Kobe has maybe 1-2 more years at his current level.

I think he will play as long as it takes to get the scoring title unless he has *major* injury problems that makes it unrealistic. My guess is about 6-7 more years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball