U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 10:00 AM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,329,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Except they did just that. From 1991 to 1998, the Bulls won every year that Michael Jordan started the season. The Rockets managed to break through during the years Jordan was retired or played half a season. I'll play Devil's advocate alongside you and say in retrospect I don't think they'd have beaten the 1995 Rockets, not without Grant in the lineup and Rodman hadn't joined yet. I do think they'd have gotten past the Rockets in 1994. In fact, that 1994 Bulls team could have been absolutely stellar: a still in his prime Jordan, a rookie Kukoc, Grant and Pippen in their primes, B.J Armstrong developing into an excellent backcourt mate for M.J, and the majority of bench players from the prior seasons.

Besides Hakeem and David Robinson, the Bulls defeated teams with the following players enroute to a title in either an earlier playoff round or the finals:

Magic Johnson
Clyde Drexler
Charles Barkley
Kevin Johnson
Patrick Ewing
Mark Price
Brad Daugherty
Dominique Wilkins
Shaquille Oneal
Penny Hardaway
Shawn Kemp
Gary Payton
Glen Rice
Alonzo Mourning
Tim Hardaway
Reggie Miller
Karl Malone
John Stockton

That list, asides from a few notables, is a who's who of 90's Basketball. So, Jordan's Bulls did indeed run over just about everyone, the exceptions being Hakeem and the Admiral who couldn't get their teams out of the West to face the Bulls from 91-93 or 96-98.

You just reminded me how much I hated that Bulls team in the 90's, especially since they knocked off my Pistons in 1991
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 10:23 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,366,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
You just reminded me how much I hated that Bulls team in the 90's, especially since they knocked off my Pistons in 1991
Well the Pistons owned them up until that point, so I that should have lessened the blow. Also, they didn't just knock them out in 91, they sweeeeeept them out of the post season. That series was almost more gratifying than the title it seemed like.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:24 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,881,684 times
Quote:
That reminds me, left Isiah, joe Dumars, and Rodman off the earlier list.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Interesting that the Bulls during those runs only faced Reggie Miller once in the playoffs. You would think the bulls and pacers would have been an annual playoff matchup.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:46 AM
FBJ

Quote:
I will always believe that if Michael Jordan misses that game 5 shot against the Cavs, there is no Bulls Dynasty

Old 03-04-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I will always believe that if Michael Jordan misses that game 5 shot against the Cavs, there is no Bulls Dynasty
Based on what? They did not win a title that year, or even the year after.

6 titles in 8 years is sustained excellence, to suggest that long term success hinged on a single shot from years prior is insane. It's not as if MJ was threatening to leave the bulls at that point in time.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:57 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Based on what? They did not win a title that year, or even the year after.

6 titles in 8 years is sustained excellence, to suggest that long term success hinged on a single shot from years prior is insane. It's not as if MJ was threatening to leave the bulls at that point in time.
Because you know that big losses leads to BIG CHANGES and makes a franchise go up or down. That winning shot turned the franchise around and they went nowhere but UP from that point on.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Because you know that big losses leads to BIG CHANGES and makes a franchise go up or down. That winning shot turned the franchise around and they went nowhere but UP from that point on.
I would say that losing to the pistons those years in the playoffs was far more influential for the bulls than one shot over Ehlo. By losing to the pistons, it made them hungrier and was a clinic on how to play tough, championship basketball. Barely squeaking by a underachieving cavs team makes for a fun youtube clip, but probably did very little in molding the bulls into what they were in the 90s.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:16 PM

3,653 posts, read 3,881,684 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? The Bulls were on the up from the moment they got Jordan. That shot was only consequential in the sense that instead of losing to the Cavs, they would lose to the Pistons instead. Which they did for 3 consecutive years before breaking through in 1991. There's no reason to think if there was no 'the shot' in Cleveland that the Bulls would have broken up or regressed. I mean, this is almost as baseless as saying that if Jordan had missed the shot, that he wold have retired afterwards or something. This is simply baseless conjecture on your part.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:16 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I would say that losing to the pistons those years in the playoffs was far more influential for the bulls than one shot over Ehlo. By losing to the pistons, it made them hungrier and was a clinic on how to play tough, championship basketball. Barely squeaking by a underachieving cavs team makes for a fun youtube clip, but probably did very little in molding the bulls into what they were in the 90s.
Ok, try and understand me. If Jordan misses that final shot against the Cavs, instead of one hurdle to the title it would have been TWO HURDLES because the Cavs would have been the better team going into the 1989-90 season. So the Bulls would have taken a step back and would not have been in position to even play the Pistons because they would have had to deal with the Cavs first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or