U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 01:38 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,224,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
No, I think guys like Manu and Parker would still be around, they're very good/great players whether the league was 15 or 30 teams. They may not be all-stars in a 15 team league, but they'd still be in the NBA. Manu and Parker are both top 15 at their position, hell top 10, so in a 15 team league both of them would be starting for someone.
I don't know about that. Think about it, Manu was the 58th pick overall. And Parker was almost sent back to France before his 1st season. If these guys where never given the chance to develop within the league would they be top 15? I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Yeah because he was taller than everyone and only had to turn around and put it in the basket every time with being challenged
here lets look at his competition.
1962 NBA All-Star Game Box Score | Basketball-Reference.com
the 1962 all stars
russell, baylor, cousy, jerry west, the big O...... i mean its a list of all time greats.

1963 NBA All-Star Game Box Score | Basketball-Reference.com

1964 NBA All-Star Game Box Score | Basketball-Reference.com

1961 NBA All-Star Game Box Score | Basketball-Reference.com

1960 NBA All-Star Game Box Score | Basketball-Reference.com

1965 NBA All-Star Game Box Score | Basketball-Reference.com

see wilt was 7'2" and played against a ton of guys in the 6'11-6'10" range. hmmm wait, how many 7' 2" guys are in the league right now? and of those how many are actually any good? wilt would destroy guys like bynum and howard IMO. could you imagine what he would do to a guy like Ilgauskas? noah? the lopez brothers? who in the league today could honestly even slow wilt down other then the refs? i think only 2-3 guys in the last 10-12-14 years stood a chance, time duncan, shaq, maybe KG (a little to skinny to handle the banging of wilt imo) ben wallace would put up a fight but in the end wilt was the kind of player that will transcend basketball as a whole. can you imagine a guy like verejao trying to guard wilt? i mean the dude would NEVER get off the floor.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:01 PM

3,653 posts, read 3,892,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Well yes, maybe that's why he averaged 50 pts a game? His averaging 50 pts a game is a JOKE
It happened one season. Perhaps he was just that much better than everyone else, like Jordan was when he played? I mean Wilt was a generational talent, just as Jordan was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
In my opinion having only 15 teams would make the league less exciting and also kill the excitement of free agency. You would have a lot of teams that would be very close in talent and would not give players much of an incentive to leave their current teams. To me you could have about 24 teams, build a better product and give a better chance for talent to be re-arranged. Free agency is a major part of the modern era, look at how much attention The Decision got.
Whether it would be less exciting, or how it would impact free agency, is a separate argument. The point is that with 15 teams, it means every night you're playing a high caliber team. Less exciting? Meh.... the caliber of Basketball would certainly be better. Frankly 15 was just a number I pulled out of a hat, the overall point was about how the league has been diluted over the last 25 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
I don't know about that. Think about it, Manu was the 58th pick overall. And Parker was almost sent back to France before his 1st season. If these guys where never given the chance to develop within the league would they be top 15? I don't know.
I suppose I'm looking at it from a standpoint of knowing what kind of players they would become. I imagine they'd have found a way into the league eventually. I'm sure we can all point to some players who are simply marginal talents and wouldn't be in a 12/15/20 team league.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:22 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,688,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Whether it would be less exciting, or how it would impact free agency, is a separate argument. The point is that with 15 teams, it means every night you're playing a high caliber team. Less exciting? Meh.... the caliber of Basketball would certainly be better. Frankly 15 was just a number I pulled out of a hat, the overall point was about how the league has been diluted over the last 25 years.
Do you think people would watch the same teams, that never change, for years and years and years? I agree about the caliber of play, but if you have someone that is dominant in that era, it would kill the purpose of contracting. I mean people usually get tired of seeing the same teams winning.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:29 PM

3,653 posts, read 3,892,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Do you think people would watch the same teams, that never change, for years and years and years?
Depends on the individual. One could say you'd have less 'fair-weather' fans who follow around players and switch allegiances like a piece of paper in the wind. Teams could actually grow together over x amount of years( sort of like what the Bulls and OKC are doing, which is why I find their evolution intriguing). In this age of free agency, it's difficult for a team to stay intact for 5 years because so many of the pieces are moving. So, would I prefer seeing a slowdown in player movement? Yes, but I can only speak for myself.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:24 PM

I gotta say I think I prefer the movement to slow as well. Players greed IMO is hurting the league. It's just one more reason I love the spurs. While the lesser pieces come and go, the core sticks around. Is that about to change? Looks like it. Though a new core is building. Parker, Leonard, green, Blair (I hope he is traded) and Neal form a tight group but they need another semi dominant type player. If splitter can become that guy then I'm liking the core for a long time. Parker/Leonard/Splitter is a nice core in 3-4 yrs.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:51 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,192,037 times
Some points to consider,

-Wilt averaged 50 points a game for a season!! You can't say the 100 point game was a fluke, or he was force fed the ball, etc.

-Blocks and steals were first recorded in the 73/74 season. The year after Chamberlain retired. His block numbers would have been absurd. Same with Russell.

I think Wilt was a generational talent like Jordan. The lack of footage from that era, plus the fact that he played for philadelphia and san francisco (relatively small market) = under the radar.

What about David Robinson scoring 71? Scoring 71 in the 90's was probably the equivilant of 80 against the raptors, in 2006.

Wilt put up numbers that will never be touched. 55 rebounds in a game, etc.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:09 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,716,161 times
There were nine teams in 1962 and 30 in 2006. The Knicks had a slightly better record than the Raptors, but both were pretty terrible.

Another interesting stat is that Wilt averaged 48.5 minutes per game that season. He also never fouled out in his career.

Kobe was helped by the three point shot.

Wilt was a bad free throw shooter, but went 28 for 32 from the line that night.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:24 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,855,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
There were nine teams in 1962 and 30 in 2006. The Knicks had a slightly better record than the Raptors, but both were pretty terrible.

Another interesting stat is that Wilt averaged 48.5 minutes per game that season. He also never fouled out in his career.

Kobe was helped by the three point shot.

Wilt was a bad free throw shooter, but went 28 for 32 from the line that night.
Yep, Wilt also grabbed 25 rebounds.

Little known fun fact...he played most of the game against the Knicks center Darrall Imhoff (who was the 3rd player picked in the 1960 NBA draft)...and in 1968 Imhoff was part of the trade from the Lakers to the Sixers for...Wilt Chamberlain.

During that period when Wilt scored 100, the NBA had four really top notch centers, Chamberlain, Russell, Bellamy and Kerr. Pettit also played a bit of center, and was one of the major superstars of that era too.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:06 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 50,487,492 times
It's also another fact that during that season Wilt didn't win the MVP, it was Bill Russell

I wonder why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or