U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 10:41 PM

13,450 posts, read 15,894,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
It's also another fact that during that season Wilt didn't win the MVP, it was Bill Russell

I wonder why?
Celtics record was 60-20, Warriors 49-31, and the Celtics beat the Lakers in the finals.

Russell was considered by many to be the best player in the early 1960's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 10:43 PM

13,116 posts, read 11,950,676 times
Quote:
It's also another fact that during that season Wilt didn't win the MVP, it was Bill Russell

I wonder why?
Why?

K.c. Jones, Sam Jones, Tom Heinson, Bob Cousy, and Bob Cousy won title after title after title. If memory serves the Boston Celtics from 1957 to 1969 won every NBA Championship but 2 of them.

And the above starting five of the Celtics are NBA Hall of Famers. All of them.

You know who else is in the HOF? Boston Celtics Head coach and General Manager Red Auerbach.

That's why.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:52 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

33,631 posts, read 22,922,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Why?

K.c. Jones, Sam Jones, Tom Heinson, Bob Cousy, and Bob Cousy won title after title after title. If memory serves the Boston Celtics from 1957 to 1969 won every NBA Championship but 2 of them.

And the above starting five of the Celtics are NBA Hall of Famers. All of them.

You know who else is in the HOF? Boston Celtics Head coach and General Manager Red Auerbach.

That's why.
I just don't understand how a guy averaging 50 pts a game that season doesn't win the MVP. The MVP is not about the best player on the best team, it's usually about who played the best that season. So with a season of averaging 50 I wonder why he was not given the award.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:54 PM

13,450 posts, read 15,894,570 times
Bill Russell was a far better defensive player than Chamberlain, often controlling the tempo of the entire game with his defensive play.

Chamberlain was a bit lazy defensively. He was a great scorer and rebounder, but his game had some flaws.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:28 AM

5,584 posts, read 3,889,023 times
espn has a lot of info on wilt up on the weekend dime.
Weekend Dime -- Half a century later, Wilt's 100 stands tallest - ESPN

Quote:
WILT'S SINGLE-GAME SCORING CAREER TOTALS
Games Total
271 40+ points
118 50+ points
32 60+ points
6 70+ points
1 80+ points
1 90+ points
1 100+ points
shows wilt also had 25 rebounds that game, i guess he was off a little on the boards HA!

Old 03-03-2012, 05:21 AM

3,526 posts, read 1,839,054 times
Quote:
The MVP is not about the best player on the best team, it's usually about who played the best that season.
We have quite a few examples to the contrary.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I just don't understand how a guy averaging 50 pts a game that season doesn't win the MVP. The MVP is not about the best player on the best team, it's usually about who played the best that season. So with a season of averaging 50 I wonder why he was not given the award.
Speaking of MVP's, I came up on something I wasn't aware of until just a little bit ago.

I googled in "Most Valuable Players in NBA History". I was a tad surprised what I found.

As far as the NBA championship series goes, it wasn't until the 1968-69 season that an MVP would be named. Jerry West of the Los Angeles Lakers would win that award. The Lakers would lose to the Celtics in that series 4-3. (I remember that series well!)

As far as the MVP of the regular season goes, you would have to go back even further. That would go to Bob Pettit of the St. Louis Hawks in the 1955-56 season.

I was surprised when I dug into these stats, but maybe I shouldn't have been. Like pro baseball and football players, pro basketball players worked off season jobs when you go back that far into pro sports. Basketball was not only a distant third in regards to popularity, but it is interesting to take a look at their earliest beginnings to see how the league had evolved. Humble beginnings? Definitely!

Old 03-03-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Bill Russell was a far better defensive player than Chamberlain, often controlling the tempo of the entire game with his defensive play.

Chamberlain was a bit lazy defensively. He was a great scorer and rebounder, but his game had some flaws.
NewToCa makes a couple good points.

Bill Russell was a great defensive player, certainly the best defensive center in his era (1956 to 1969.) Scoring a boatload of points wasn't an issue with him, he certainly had a supporting cast to take care of business there.

One record that Wilt had (not sure you could really call it a record) is not fouling out of a game his entire NBA career. I'm fairly sure Wilt would like to hang his hat on that bit of trivia. Does it tie in with his defensive style of play? I can see that argument, in a way.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:46 PM

29,804 posts, read 18,133,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Speaking of MVP's, I came up on something I wasn't aware of until just a little bit ago.

I googled in "Most Valuable Players in NBA History". I was a tad surprised what I found.

As far as the NBA championship series goes, it wasn't until the 1968-69 season that an MVP would be named. Jerry West of the Los Angeles Lakers would win that award. The Lakers would lose to the Celtics in that series 4-3. (I remember that series well!)

As far as the MVP of the regular season goes, you would have to go back even further. That would go to Bob Pettit of the St. Louis Hawks in the 1955-56 season.

I was surprised when I dug into these stats, but maybe I shouldn't have been. Like pro baseball and football players, pro basketball players worked off season jobs when you go back that far into pro sports. Basketball was not only a distant third in regards to popularity, but it is interesting to take a look at their earliest beginnings to see how the league had evolved. Humble beginnings? Definitely!
What's hillarious is how defensive and dismissive of the NBA.....the MLB die-hards are. They live in deep deep denial how much the gap has closed. I suspect that in 20 years the NBA will be ahead of MLB.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:34 AM

5,740 posts, read 6,112,249 times
Quote:
Overall, the competition in 1962 was not strong like it was in 2006. That's my point, not the individual teams, the ERA
Yes, but rules have been loosened since 1962 to allow for more scoring. Now, you can take 6 steps to the basket and not get a call. You couldnt do that in Wilt's day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball