U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 10:46 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 50,412,320 times

Advertisements

These are the reasons that Kobe's 81 is more impressive than Wilt's 100.

1. There is no video footage anywhere of the game Wilt scored a 100 pts in

2. The competition back during that time was weak and not like it is today

On the Otherhand, Kobe's 81 pts was

1. Seen on Television

2. Tougher competiton

So why is this 100 point game of Wilt always talked about and there is no way to see it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 11:08 PM

170 posts, read 490,113 times
I was talking a friend of mine who knows a lot more about basketball history than I do. Basically he explained to me that although Wilts was impressive, he was forced fed the ball to get to 100 and Kobe's 81 was more with the flow of the game. I think it took Wilt 2 or 3 overtimes also.

In my mind both totals were amazing and it does not matter how Wilt scored 100 cause no one else has done it but you are also right about the comp being tougher these days so that 81 is nothing short of amazing in today's standards

Old 03-01-2012, 11:12 PM

904 posts, read 1,637,426 times
Yeah, I've always heard people say that their not sure if it even happened. In fact, some people bring up valid points. I'll assume it did, and its talked about because 100 points in an NBA game against other NBA players is very, very, very impressive.

Not fair to say Kobe has tougher competition. Wilt couldn't help who he was facing at the time. And, he was playing against other NBA players, so they obviously were good enough competition considering they were in the NBA. With the competition argument, that would make every accomplishment obsolete in time since in 50 years the NBA players will be "better" than what Kobe faced when he blew up Toronto with 81.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:22 PM

52,095 posts, read 41,919,559 times
FYI - box score here.

Toronto Raptors at Los Angeles Lakers Box Score, January 22, 2006 | Basketball-Reference.com

Old 03-01-2012, 11:25 PM

52,095 posts, read 41,919,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
Yeah, I've always heard people say that their not sure if it even happened. In fact, some people bring up valid points. I'll assume it did, and its talked about because 100 points in an NBA game against other NBA players is very, very, very impressive.

Not fair to say Kobe has tougher competition. Wilt couldn't help who he was facing at the time. And, he was playing against other NBA players, so they obviously were good enough competition considering they were in the NBA. With the competition argument, that would make every accomplishment obsolete in time since in 50 years the NBA players will be "better" than what Kobe faced when he blew up Toronto with 81.
Yeah, if people are going to poo-poo Wilt's then they need to recognize that 2006 NBA rules were much more pro-scoring and less physical without hand checking etc.

Sooooo.....we could whine about other guys like Jordan etc. having bigger games if they'd played then.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:34 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,213,193 times
wilt did NOT take 2-3 OTs he scored all his points in 4 quarters and was not "force fed the ball" until the fans started chanting give it to wilt in the 4th quarter. nba.com has a story about it if you look. as well as the box score.

keep in mind, wilt didnt have the luxury of the 3 point shot which kobe made 7 of. thats 7 extra points right there.

Quote:
He scored 23 points in the first quarter and had 41 by halftime, then tallied 28 in the third quarter, when the fans began to chant, "Give It To Wilt! Give It To Wilt!"

That's exactly what the Warriors did, feeding Chamberlain at every opportunity in the fourth quarter. The Knicks tried fouling other Philadelphia players to keep the ball away from Chamberlain, but the Warriors countered by committing fouls of their own to get the ball back.

Finally, Chamberlain took a pass from Joe Ruklick and hit a short shot with 46 seconds left to give him 100 points. Fans raced onto the court and play was halted as Chamberlain went to the lockerroom, where PR man Harvey Pollack scrawled "100" on a piece of paper and had Chamberlain hold it up for photographers.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:49 AM

170 posts, read 490,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
wilt did NOT take 2-3 OTs he scored all his points in 4 quarters and was not "force fed the ball" until the fans started chanting give it to wilt in the 4th quarter. nba.com has a story about it if you look. as well as the box score.

keep in mind, wilt didnt have the luxury of the 3 point shot which kobe made 7 of. thats 7 extra points right there.
Fair enough...I stand corrected on what I wrote

Regardless, they were both impressive.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:20 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,213,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daellis99 View Post
Regardless, they were both impressive.
i agree. apparently wilt was not happy about even being in the game after the 3rd quarter. he figured 69 was good and they had the game well in hand.

what i find interesting about that statement, wilt "figured 69 points was enough". this implies that he could have gone off for a whole lot more, a lot more often almost at will. in todays game (even in the jordan era) hitting 69 points is HUGE, to wilt it was like "ok thats 69 points, we are winning by xx i think ill stop now".

people also say he had no competition, he did play some against kareem, and russell, baylor and such. its not like he was in there destroying guys like george mikan.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:37 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 50,412,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i agree. apparently wilt was not happy about even being in the game after the 3rd quarter. he figured 69 was good and they had the game well in hand.

what i find interesting about that statement, wilt "figured 69 points was enough". this implies that he could have gone off for a whole lot more, a lot more often almost at will. in todays game (even in the jordan era) hitting 69 points is HUGE, to wilt it was like "ok thats 69 points, we are winning by xx i think ill stop now".

people also say he had no competition, he did play some against kareem, and russell, baylor and such. its not like he was in there destroying guys like george mikan.
The competition level was LOW in 1962

Old 03-02-2012, 08:56 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,887,254 times
In the same breath, using the competition argument, Michael Jordan's 69 points is more impressive than Kobe's 81, considering he also grabbed 18 rebounds, 6 assists, and 4 steals. And he did it against the Price/Daugherty/Nance/Hot Rod Williams Cavs, who were one of the top eastern teams at the time. My grandmother could drop 40 on the 2006 Raptors defense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or