U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 09:09 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,306,870 times

Advertisements

Let's see how he performs tomorrow in philly which is the game for 1st place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 10:56 PM

51,928 posts, read 41,798,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Math, the points/fg% are honestly the least impressive and the least relevant to the topic. How many guards have put up 20 assists and 17 rebounds in the same game? Of all those guards, how many where 6'1"? How many where playing against the biggest story in the league while doing it. Hell I think I even read a story that focused more on the Knicks/Lin in that game more then rondos performance. Being on a team of Rebounders is one thing but I don't care if he did it against a 9 other players his size, it's a ridiculous line not attained by many players regardless of time on the court or fg %.

It's not like you to try to throw an * in something like this but not sure why your putting one on this.
Normalize the game to 36minutes and it's suddenly 15 and 12 and 14 while shooting 35%. Sorry but too many NBA fanboys don't recognize defense and effective shooting. Sweet Jesus, look at some of Lebrons games this season and pro-rate them to 48minutes....please....

Oh, then figure in he is up against a mediocre guard in Lin and 2 EXTREMELY weak rebounding teams. (not to mention the fact that his teamates may be padding for him)

I guess what I'm getting out is that this game is pretty awesome but not *epic* especially for a player of Rondo's calibre.

<shrug> I'm going to have a lot of fun reminding you about how 48minutes vs. a normal 36minutes is utterly moot in the future.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:35 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,196,988 times
while you could "prorate" a lot of peoples games/stats up to 48 minutes and come out with ridiculous numbers, the fact is rondo actually did those numbers. just because you tack on some extra minutes doesnt mean that someone is going to continue the same efficiency. i remember duncan a couple of years ago (ok like 5 yrs) had something like 12 points, 9 rebounds, and 5 assists and 2-3 blocks in the 1st quarter. i mean thats potentially a MONSTER game. i think he ended with like 25-15-6-4. still a very nice line but not the prorated portion.

i think your marginalizing the effort, and the feat that rondo put up. now if averaged 48 minutes and had crazy numbers then sure you can go with the 36minute line but on a single game it doesnt work.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:23 AM

51,928 posts, read 41,798,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
while you could "prorate" a lot of peoples games/stats up to 48 minutes and come out with ridiculous numbers, the fact is rondo actually did those numbers. just because you tack on some extra minutes doesnt mean that someone is going to continue the same efficiency. i remember duncan a couple of years ago (ok like 5 yrs) had something like 12 points, 9 rebounds, and 5 assists and 2-3 blocks in the 1st quarter. i mean thats potentially a MONSTER game. i think he ended with like 25-15-6-4. still a very nice line but not the prorated portion.

i think your marginalizing the effort, and the feat that rondo put up. now if averaged 48 minutes and had crazy numbers then sure you can go with the 36minute line but on a single game it doesnt work.
Fair enough. What I was comparing 36 to 48 games and not pro-rating up from 36 but that is my fault for poor communication.

I don't mean to pick on the guy and did point out he is the best defensive PG in the league. Peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or