U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 02:15 PM

758 posts, read 1,035,961 times

Advertisements

As a Magic fan, I am relieved that Dwight is staying for another year! Now he needs to shut up and play!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 02:16 PM

2,011 posts, read 2,013,211 times
So did Beasley stay put??

Old 03-15-2012, 02:19 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,313,442 times
I really like the Spurs chances to win it all now after getting Stephen jackson

Old 03-15-2012, 02:23 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,198,412 times
I will say if the lakers can buy in they just got tougher. Not a lot but tougher none the less

Old 03-15-2012, 02:34 PM

51,946 posts, read 41,806,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
I will say if the lakers can buy in they just got tougher. Not a lot but tougher none the less
2 Excellent trades by the Lakers but they didn't get tougher on the court for making them......yet.

Both of those trades were 100% salary cap dumps.
Walton and Fisher would still take up cap space next year so they essentially paid 2 other teams to take them in exchange for guys with expiring contracts (or will opt out in sessions case).

End result, Lakers have some cap room for free agency and still have their amnesty if they want to dump Mr. Peas after the season.

I love this move by the Lakers, rather then be decent they are rolling the dice that they can add in free agency this summer, enough stuff to make the team a top threat once again.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:06 PM

ehh i dont think your right math, at least not on next year. i mean dumping walton was nice but unless they plan on not picking up jordan hills option next year then they actually took on more salary by trading fisher for hill.

ok so IF every player with a player option picks up said option, that puts the lakers at 84.7 mil next season. this is after the trade, and assuming they plan on picking up the MVP andrew bynums option and Andrew Goudelock option. (he is less then 800k) even amnesty artest isnt going to help because thats only 7.2m. this is also no counting mcroberts because hoops hype doesnt show his numbers for some reason. (i believe 2 mil +/-)

this was purely a "we need a better PG and some depth" moves. they dropped dead weight and got a couple ok players and some really unknowns.

oh and there blazers in 100% lets blow this up and start over mode released greg oden.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I really like the Spurs chances to win it all now after getting Stephen jackson
i dont think this makes them the favorites BUT it does make them much tougher. there is a lot of talk of kaman getting a buy out, and apparently its between spurs, heat, and celtics as to who he would go to. now if that happens and he goes to the spurs then i would move the spurs right to the top of the pecking order for sure.

the waiver wire is already starting to heat up a little im curious to see who gets waived.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:27 AM

51,946 posts, read 41,806,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
ehh i dont think your right math, at least not on next year. i mean dumping walton was nice but unless they plan on not picking up jordan hills option next year then they actually took on more salary by trading fisher for hill.

ok so IF every player with a player option picks up said option, that puts the lakers at 84.7 mil next season. this is after the trade, and assuming they plan on picking up the MVP andrew bynums option and Andrew Goudelock option. (he is less then 800k) even amnesty artest isnt going to help because thats only 7.2m. this is also no counting mcroberts because hoops hype doesnt show his numbers for some reason. (i believe 2 mil +/-)

this was purely a "we need a better PG and some depth" moves. they dropped dead weight and got a couple ok players and some really unknowns.

oh and there blazers in 100% lets blow this up and start over mode released greg oden.
Ok, good discussion....god knows I'm not right all the time....just ask my girlfriend lol.

Don't the annual increases on the long term contracts like Kobe, Bynum etc. NOT count against the cap or did they change that?

They 100% plan on not keeping Hill, otherwise the trade makes zero sense because they could always use Fisher as a 6th-7th man and their bench is thin everywhere. Sessions is not much of an improvement over Fisher and I don't think Hill is any better than the stiffs at the end of the Lakers bench.

I will look around to see if some analyst has already looked at the Lakers cap situation impact from the trade later and done our heavy lifting for us. One way or another I will learn something.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:26 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ok, good discussion....god knows I'm not right all the time....just ask my girlfriend lol.

Don't the annual increases on the long term contracts like Kobe, Bynum etc. NOT count against the cap or did they change that?

They 100% plan on not keeping Hill, otherwise the trade makes zero sense because they could always use Fisher as a 6th-7th man and their bench is thin everywhere. Sessions is not much of an improvement over Fisher and I don't think Hill is any better than the stiffs at the end of the Lakers bench.

I will look around to see if some analyst has already looked at the Lakers cap situation impact from the trade later and done our heavy lifting for us. One way or another I will learn something.
Well ESPN jiust broke down why Sessions would be a better fit for the team than Fisher

Fisher averages 5.9 PPG and 3 assists and shooting 36% from the field

Sessions averages 10 pts PPG, 6 assists and and shooting 50% from the field.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:28 PM
FBJ

Question for someone who follows college basketball.

Was Luke Walton a good player in college? I'm just trying to figure out how he made the NBA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball