U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 12:32 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,198,412 times

Advertisements

Luke Walton used to be a decent player. Not great but not to bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 12:40 PM

51,946 posts, read 41,806,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Well ESPN jiust broke down why Sessions would be a better fit for the team than Fisher

Fisher averages 5.9 PPG and 3 assists and shooting 36% from the field

Sessions averages 10 pts PPG, 6 assists and and shooting 50% from the field.
FYI- They didn't trade Fisher for Sessions, they traded him for the bad player from houston.

This discusses some of the major reason for the Lakers to shed salary.

NBA Trade Deadline 2012: Salary-Cap Issues Will Impact Moves by Lakers, Magic | Bleacher Report

Sessions is going FA next season. The Lakers improved slightly on the court but greatly on the balance sheet in terms of salaries.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:54 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,313,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Luke Walton used to be a decent player. Not great but not to bad.
What did he do in college?

Old 03-16-2012, 01:06 PM

Dude tv you can google that crap just as fast as it took you to ask what college he went to. Do your own homework if your trying to make a point.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
FYI- They didn't trade Fisher for Sessions, they traded him for the bad player from houston.

This discusses some of the major reason for the Lakers to shed salary.

NBA Trade Deadline 2012: Salary-Cap Issues Will Impact Moves by Lakers, Magic | Bleacher Report

Sessions is going FA next season. The Lakers improved slightly on the court but greatly on the balance sheet in terms of salaries.
Thats interesting. I'm not a big bleacher report guy myself. Anyone can be a "sports writer" on that site, all you really have to do is sign up. That's why 90% of all posts there are bias, or plain silly. I think this guy had some idea but his numbers seem skewed to me. I mean he took the current salary for the lakers (84 mil) and turned it into 103 mil then added the taxes to it to get to 141 mil. Maybe I missed part of it but sure seems odd.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
What did he do in college?
He had a good college career at Arizona. One season he averaged something like 15-7-7.

Deeeeeep 2nd round draft pick.

He kept working at his game and improved enough after that to be a decent player for the lakers and then had injuries and thats it.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:13 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Dude tv you can google that crap just as fast as it took you to ask what college he went to. Do your own homework if your trying to make a point.
I was trying to gather information from someone who is a fan of college basketball and know about his play during that time. It was really nothing for me to look up because I was just asking was he a success in college from someone who watched him instead of looking at stats

Old 03-16-2012, 01:15 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
He had a good college career at Arizona. One season he averaged something like 15-7-7.

Deeeeeep 2nd round draft pick.

He kept working at his game and improved enough after that to be a decent player for the lakers and then had injuries and thats it.
Ok thanks I was just wondering why he stayed on the benched while playing for the Lakers

Old 03-16-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
I was trying to gather information from someone who is a fan of college basketball and know about his play during that time. It was really nothing for me to look up because I was just asking was he a success in college from someone who watched him instead of looking at stats
Not sure who your talking about but you quoted me in your question and I am in no way a fan of college basketball.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Thats interesting. I'm not a big bleacher report guy myself. Anyone can be a "sports writer" on that site, all you really have to do is sign up. That's why 90% of all posts there are bias, or plain silly. I think this guy had some idea but his numbers seem skewed to me. I mean he took the current salary for the lakers (84 mil) and turned it into 103 mil then added the taxes to it to get to 141 mil. Maybe I missed part of it but sure seems odd.
This blog references the Lakers doing the moves for luxury tax dump.
NBA.com | Hang Time Blog

I looked into the guys luxury tax numbers and the Lakers payroll.

NBA salary cap - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Next year the luxury tax cap is the same deal as it has been, essentially for every dollar over 70million (roughly) you have to pay a dollar to the league that then divides up all the tax money and pays it to all the teams under the cap.

After the next season though, if you have say $100million in payroll and the cap is $70million you will have to pay a STAGGERING 77.5million in luxury tax at a minimum and if you were a repeat offender (over cap 4 of 5 years) you would owe the league 107.5million! Previously the luxury tax would have only been $30million.

The Lakers already owe Kobe and Gasol $50million that year.

So, the Lakers are rich but do they really want to have a $100mil payroll which costs them 207.5mil once you count in taxes?

FYI- here are the tax and super tax penalties (for repeat offenders) starting in 2years assuming the salary cap remains roughly around the 70mil mark.

Payroll(millions) ------------- Tax ------------- Super Tax
70 ------------- 0 ------------- 0
80 ------------- 16.25 ------------- 26.25
90 ------------- 45 ------------- 65

I'm a little bit in shock about just how brutal this is. Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball