Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 06:49 AM

167 posts, read 267,199 times

Advertisements

Mitch worked his magic wand again! The Lakers got the serviceable point guard they so desperately needed and they didn't have to take on any additional salary. Rather, they shedded the most useless player on their payroll and his God-awful contract. Amazing.

Hindsight is 20/20, and in retrospect, the Odom trade was absolutely the right move. His play has dropped off considerably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 09:42 AM

77,755 posts, read 59,900,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
Mitch worked his magic wand again! The Lakers got the serviceable point guard they so desperately needed and they didn't have to take on any additional salary. Rather, they shedded the most useless player on their payroll and his God-awful contract. Amazing.

Hindsight is 20/20, and in retrospect, the Odom trade was absolutely the right move. His play has dropped off considerably.
The odom trade was horrible, don't kid yourself.

The Lakers PG gain is pretty meh and he likely won't remain a Laker, however they did save themselves a lot of money so I definitely give them an A on those 2 trades even though it did cost them 2 1st round draft picks to get rid of Fish and Walton.

Lakers needed to get rid of Gasol and get some serviceable guys to fill in holes instead. Looks like they will be trying to do that in the off season but people may be looking at his 20+ million a year and balking since he isn't THAT good.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:41 PM

167 posts, read 267,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The odom trade was horrible, don't kid yourself.

The Lakers PG gain is pretty meh and he likely won't remain a Laker, however they did save themselves a lot of money so I definitely give them an A on those 2 trades even though it did cost them 2 1st round draft picks to get rid of Fish and Walton.

Lakers needed to get rid of Gasol and get some serviceable guys to fill in holes instead. Looks like they will be trying to do that in the off season but people may be looking at his 20+ million a year and balking since he isn't THAT good.
Odom's stat line is down nearly 50% from his career average. And the new CBA's punitive luxury tax makes it imperative that the Lakers cut salary. Anyone who's familar with Odom knows that he's wildly inconsistent. For $8.9 million, I'd rather not. You're not getting 2010-2011 Odom.

The Lakers don't need a superstar PG. They already have the NBA's leading scorer and the best frontcourt in basketball. All they need is someone who can score 10-13 points, can dribble penetrate in order to get KGB easier looks, and can finish in transition. They got that in Sessions and they essentially got him for free.

The Lakers were willing to trade Gasol, but ONLY for a superstar PG (CP3/Rondo). The only thing the Lakers are lacking now is a solid shooter off the bench. Michael Beasley would've been nice.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:03 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,085,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Question for someone who follows college basketball.

Was Luke Walton a good player in college? I'm just trying to figure out how he made the NBA?
2 ways you make it to the NBA from college:
#1- You have a solid college career.
#2- You have size.

Neither translate necessarily into a good NBA career.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Odom's stat line is down nearly 50% from his career average. And the new CBA's punitive luxury tax makes it imperative that the Lakers cut salary. Anyone who's familar with Odom knows that he's wildly inconsistent. For $8.9 million, I'd rather not. You're not getting 2010-2011 Odom.

The Lakers don't need a superstar PG. They already have the NBA's leading scorer and the best frontcourt in basketball. All they need is someone who can score 10-13 points, can dribble penetrate in order to get KGB easier looks, and can finish in transition. They got that in Sessions and they essentially got him for free.

The Lakers were willing to trade Gasol, but ONLY for a superstar PG (CP3/Rondo). The only thing the Lakers are lacking now is a solid shooter off the bench. Michael Beasley would've been nice.
Don't fall off your bandwagon when it crashes in a few months while you are texting.

Um, Lamar is off payroll even if the team exercises it's option prior to the new CBA luxury tax kicking in the season AFTER next. Dear god, the Lakers have so many becky fans it's annoying.

Dear god.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:04 AM

297 posts, read 399,126 times
Quote:
I fully believe Odom's stat line would be much better this year had he remained on the Lakers roster.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:59 AM

Fisher hasn't reported to the Rockets yet....so they are now extending it a day.

I have to imagine he feels pretty betrayed because they got nothing of value for him in the trade.
The Lakers flat out just kicked him to the curb after all those years there. They could have kept him on as a reserve...but no...they picked up the BACKUP pg for a bad cleveland team and essentially fired him.

I'm still thinking they might amnesty World Peace.

Lakers better save their pennies to pay all those luxury taxes in 2013-14. I know they are a wealthy franchise but and extra 40-60million or so isn't chump change and I don't see how they are going to avoid it.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:12 PM

758 posts, read 1,230,137 times
Quote:
Fisher hasn't reported to the Rockets yet....so they are now extending it a day.

I have to imagine he feels pretty betrayed because they got nothing of value for him in the trade.
The Lakers flat out just kicked him to the curb after all those years there. They could have kept him on as a reserve...but no...they picked up the BACKUP pg for a bad cleveland team and essentially fired him.

Lakers better save their pennies to pay all those luxury taxes in 2013-14. I know they are a wealthy franchise but and extra 40-60million or so isn't chump change and I don't see how they are going to avoid it.
I guess Derek does not want to play for the Rockets, I do not blame him

Old 03-18-2012, 12:18 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,802,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDFreaker View Post
I guess Derek does not want to play for the Rockets, I do not blame him
But I thought the Rockets were playing well and with him and Camby they would be a threat in the playoffs.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:20 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,802,436 times
Quote:

I understand why he is mad but he still has to be professional and show up to the team. Looks pretty childish for someone his age not to show at all because he doesn't want to play for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball