U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 12:30 PM

51,927 posts, read 41,791,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Well you know they say that New York is the MECCA of basketball.
Yes, 30 years ago it was. Since then we've had this thing called the internet come along.

Here are some fun questions about the ole basketball mecca.

1. The Knicks had a winning season in 2011. How many years since their previous winning season?
Spoiler

2. In 2011 Amare Stoudamire was voted 2nd team all-nba. What year prior to this was a Knick voted to 1st or 2nd team all-nba?
Spoiler
1997 for 2nd team, 1990 was their last 1st teamer

3. When did the Knicks last win the Atlantic Division?
Spoiler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 12:37 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,300,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yes, 30 years ago it was. Since then we've had this thing called the internet come along.

Here are some fun questions about the ole basketball mecca.

1. The Knicks had a winning season in 2011. How many years since their previous winning season?
Spoiler

2. In 2011 Amare Stoudamire was voted 2nd team all-nba. What year prior to this was a Knick voted to 1st or 2nd team all-nba?
Spoiler
1997 for 2nd team, 1990 was their last 1st teamer

3. When did the Knicks last win the Atlantic Division?
Spoiler

I heard it was the spring of 2000 the last time the Knicks won a playoff series. Now I remember because in 2001 that's when the Knicks lost game 5 to the up and coming Toronto raptors because of Vinsanity.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I heard it was the spring of 2000 the last time the Knicks won a playoff series. Now I remember because in 2001 that's when the Knicks lost game 5 to the up and coming Toronto raptors because of Vinsanity.
I think David Lee broke something like a 5-6 year draught for all-star games and he had to be SELECTED by the coaches.

Let that sink in, the big media capital, basketball mecca and the knicks can't even muster the votes to get Lee on the all-star team.

Yet somehow, Yao Ming and McGrady would get millions of votes.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:11 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,196,086 times
Ehhh that's a scewed argument math, NYC is the Mecca because the media loves it not necisarrily the fans, and the Ming/mcgrady votes where 1billion Chinese people voting, not American.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:49 AM

3,129 posts, read 5,308,445 times
It is crystal clear the knicks have been clueless since Ewing retired. At least they had an identity in the 1990s, tough freaking Defense. They continue with the Isiah Thomas dumbass no chemistry no brain recruitment. Anyone with 1/2 a brain knew Camelo+Amare are simply the forward versions of Marbury+Francis.

Getting rid of Billups was beyond stupid as the man is a proven LEADER. If the Lakers had the brains to keep slow ass Fisher on their team all this time its amazing the Knicks said FU Chauncey.

Tyson Chandler will only get frustrated as these ass clowns don't want to pay Defense. Woodson is a D minded coach and nothing is going to change. They want to put up 25 shots a night to score 25 points.

Lin is solid but the league is no longer caught off guard. Amazing how in less than a month he looks average already.

Then they sign that clown JR Smith? They are utterly clueless what it takes to build a championship team and will have problems getting a quality coach.

Who would want to coach these clowns? A Tattoo artist?

Old 03-16-2012, 07:13 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,363,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
It is crystal clear the knicks have been clueless since Ewing retired. At least they had an identity in the 1990s, tough freaking Defense. They continue with the Isiah Thomas dumbass no chemistry no brain recruitment. Anyone with 1/2 a brain knew Camelo+Amare are simply the forward versions of Marbury+Francis.

Getting rid of Billups was beyond stupid as the man is a proven LEADER. If the Lakers had the brains to keep slow ass Fisher on their team all this time its amazing the Knicks said FU Chauncey.

Tyson Chandler will only get frustrated as these ass clowns don't want to pay Defense. Woodson is a D minded coach and nothing is going to change. They want to put up 25 shots a night to score 25 points.

Lin is solid but the league is no longer caught off guard. Amazing how in less than a month he looks average already.

Then they sign that clown JR Smith? They are utterly clueless what it takes to build a championship team and will have problems getting a quality coach.

Who would want to coach these clowns? A Tattoo artist?
Good post, it's remarkable how hapless this franchise has been. NYC is considered the basketball capital of the world and they can't put a decent pro team on the court year in and year out. I would be fascinated if they can lure Phil Jackson to see what if anything he can do with them

Old 03-16-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Good post, it's remarkable how hapless this franchise has been. NYC is considered the basketball capital of the world and they can't put a decent pro team on the court year in and year out. I would be fascinated if they can lure Phil Jackson to see what if anything he can do with them
Can't rep ya but +1 to the post before ya.

I guess I'm still stunned when I went into Knicks history and saw they hadn't won their division in 17 years and this year will be 18.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Ehhh that's a scewed argument math, NYC is the Mecca because the media loves it not necisarrily the fans, and the Ming/mcgrady votes where 1billion Chinese people voting, not American.
I'm pointing out that the media has become decentralized and the attention game has changed due to the internet which was EXACTLY my point with regards to 1billion chinese votes. You can be the most famous NBA player in the world now days at any of the franchises...even Cleveland or if you wait a few more years probably OKC.

Let me simplify further.

I cannot call NY the "basketball mecca" when their team is so broken that they have to get 2nd rate stars (and overpay for Amare) and 1st rate stars like Lebron, Howard etc. never seriously considered NY and their broken ownership model. No one wants to go to Mecca.

Heck, LA has much more of a case to be called the basketball mecca IMO.

The bulk of the Knicks media attention over the past decade has been NEGATIVE. They haven't gotten attention for basketball, they have gotten attention for being a soap opera and train wreck. Let's not confuse the two.

The Knicks are like Chris Humphries, they aren't famous for basketball. lol.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:06 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,196,086 times
Well a huge part of NYC having this "title" isn't because of the Knicks but because of the basketball culture in the self. I mean how many top players flock to south central in the off season or the lock out? How many flock to ruckers park? The city has a much larger basketball heritage above and beyond the Knicks. This IMO is as big or bigger then anything to Knicks screwedupidness could ever be. Nba players want to play there for the coverage (Knicks still get a ton of tv and news, all publicity is good publicity) players want to be associated with the city more then the team. Wait until the nets get settled in and I bet their team blows up with top talent wanting to go there.

At this point players want to play with certain players (lebron, wade, Kobe, and durant mostly) and not a certain team, I think the nets move will change that to an extent.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Well a huge part of NYC having this "title" isn't because of the Knicks but because of the basketball culture in the self. I mean how many top players flock to south central in the off season or the lock out? How many flock to ruckers park? The city has a much larger basketball heritage above and beyond the Knicks. This IMO is as big or bigger then anything to Knicks screwedupidness could ever be. Nba players want to play there for the coverage (Knicks still get a ton of tv and news, all publicity is good publicity) players want to be associated with the city more then the team. Wait until the nets get settled in and I bet their team blows up with top talent wanting to go there.

At this point players want to play with certain players (lebron, wade, Kobe, and durant mostly) and not a certain team, I think the nets move will change that to an extent.
Fair enough and I respect your viewpoint. I think that there are a lot of facets to the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball