Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2012, 07:20 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,150 times

Advertisements

Did anyone else out there see this 90 minute documentary on Magic? I thought it was one of the best specials ESPN has ever done. It starts with Magics rise in the NBA and the lifestyle that existed in LA in the 1980s. Then it takes you through the diagnosis with HIV and the subsequent events. It really is a moving piece and I reccomend anyone watch it.

I think Karl Malone (who was villified for his comments about Magic back in 1992) said it best when looking back. Paraphrasing - "name another athlete that could have handled it like he did, there is no one." I believe that is true, Magic was smiling and inspiring in what could have been the hardest time of his life.

Great footage of the 92 all-star game, as well as the dream team. I was young at the time, but I still can remember vividly watching Magic nail those 3s at the end of the all star game, and holding up the MVP trophy. I got a little choked up watching it tbh....

Great watch, anyone else see it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 07:32 AM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
I did. I haven't been happy with ESPN lately and have said so on different threads, but it's the documentaries is where they show their stuff. That goes back to 2000 when they did their "Sports Century" series (which won an Emmy in 2000, by the way). It was very factual, very well done.

I remember going home after work and hearing Magic Johnson's announcement on the radio and I was just stunned. The tv stations talked about it for days.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:55 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
That was back when the perception was "Having HIV= Death in 2 years" for all you kids out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball