U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 02:50 PM

9,224 posts, read 15,936,235 times

Advertisements

Add the half court 5 pointer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 08:47 AM

2,243 posts, read 3,462,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Pet peeve for me.

Most of those fouls are not charges as players slide in front of the ball handlers at the last second.
How else are you supposed to defend a guy who just jets straight to the hoop out of control? The charge call forces the ball handler to show restraint, understand the situation, and react to a change in the defense. It makes it a better game.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:49 AM

2,243 posts, read 3,462,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
agree with the last point made by IXCell & also the one by Mathguy; I would rather see something done about the ridiculous amount of charging calls that have seeped into the game over the past few years. It's crazy, at this point, it's almost like if a defender just falls down when there is any contact they get the charge call. There is so much flopping it isn't funny. What ever happened to moving your feet and being strong and 'holding your own' on defense?? But as long as the NCAA allows guys like Ed Hightower, Ted Valentine, etc. to ref, there will be lots of charges called b/c that gives those guys a chance to show-off on their call and be seen.
What happened is 6'7'', 260-pound guys with 4.4 speed and point guard handles and vision laced up their sneakers. You WILL get run over anyway against those guys, so you do it correctly -- you take the charge.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:11 AM

3,960 posts, read 2,511,925 times
I think the point the previous posters were trying to make is the flopping--not taking away the charge call. You are supposed to beat the offensive man to the spot and establish position--not jump in at the last second and fall to the ground...

Old 03-23-2012, 01:53 PM

1,860 posts, read 4,441,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
I think the point the previous posters were trying to make is the flopping--not taking away the charge call. You are supposed to beat the offensive man to the spot and establish position--not jump in at the last second and fall to the ground...
Exactly my point. I'm not saying there shouldn't be legitimate charges called, but there is far too much flopping as well as too many charge calls when the defender isn't in position and set.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:04 PM

3,436 posts, read 5,780,719 times
Don't blame Baylor because Colorado couldn't cover a white guy who was on the court for one reason...his hops...just kidding!

Old 03-27-2012, 11:28 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,746,473 times
I would much rather see player's hitting 3s than watching a player take 3 or 4 steps to jump up and slam it. Hitting a 3 takes far more skill than dunking a ball.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:43 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,413,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I would much rather see player's hitting 3s than watching a player take 3 or 4 steps to jump up and slam it. Hitting a 3 takes far more skill than dunking a ball.
It does take more skill to hit a three... But more people in the world can hit 3's than can dunk a basketball.

Which is part of the public's fascination with the move. People are more amazed by things they cannot do themselves.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:25 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,746,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
It does take more skill to hit a three... But more people in the world can hit 3's than can dunk a basketball.

Which is part of the public's fascination with the move. People are more amazed by things they cannot do themselves.
My cousin is the clumsiest, most nonathletic person you will ever see and he can dunk a basketball and do it well because he is 6'7". He cannot hit a 3 pointer so save his life or really free throws that well.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:43 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,363,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
My cousin is the clumsiest, most nonathletic person you will ever see and he can dunk a basketball and do it well because he is 6'7". He cannot hit a 3 pointer so save his life or really free throws that well.
And this does nothing to refute what he was saying, King Anecdotal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or