U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 09:40 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,414,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
If you are referring more "people" then your point isnt valid to being with. Most "people" in the world cant do a lot of things, especially things that take athleticism. This is a discussion about basketball and abolishing the three point shot which applies to the game of basketball and the players within.
The discussion involves the "general" public because they are the ones who watch basketball like yourself... You don't change rules just for players. Rule changes more often than not are to improve the game for "fans".

So to circle back to my statement in regards to yours that 3's require more skill... which I agreed with but noted that dunking is appreciated more because most people cannot dunk is more than valid.

Thank you agin...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 05:15 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,278,333 times
I'm old enough to remember the game before the 3-pt rule came along. One thing I definitely don't like about the rule is that it gives a mediocre jump shooter incentive to jump shoot. Now if you hit 3-pt shots at a 33% rate, it's exactly equivalent to hitting 2 pt shots at a 50% rate.

I do think the overall game is better with the 3 pt shot with more spreading of the floor as opposed to everyone packing into the paint, which teams often did before the 3 pt shot.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:21 PM

10,963 posts, read 8,055,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
No, it takes height and the ability to jump a bit to dunk a basketball. It takes skill to hit a three and even more skill to hit threes at even an average percentage.

Which is ridiculous. A three should create far more excitement as it is more points and takes more skill.
I guess that why we see all those highlights of three point shots on ESPN as compared to dunks. *Sarcasm Alert*

Old 04-02-2013, 08:49 PM

15 posts, read 14,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I'm not sure about the "no dunking" rule when the ABA first started play, but the ABA first popularized the the point shot, that I'm sure of. Then when the ABA teams merged with the NBA in 1976, if memory serves the NBA adopted it at the time of the merger.
I believe if my memory is correct, the NBA adopted the three point line in the 1979-80 season.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:16 PM

34 posts, read 24,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
One thing to note might be that college needs to move their 3-pt. line out a foot or so to international distance.

The pro distance really separates the shooters when you get out another 3 feet or so further.
The NCAA actually DID move the 3 pont line out to LONGER tha( international distance. After they moved it back FIBA9internaional goveerning body) moved their line back. IIRC a for a bit the college line at 20'9 was LONGER(by 3 inches) than the FIBA 20"6' line. Fiba moved back for the 2010 world championships.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:50 PM

15 posts, read 14,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I'm not sure about the "no dunking" rule when the ABA first started play, but the ABA first popularized the the point shot, that I'm sure of. Then when the ABA teams merged with the NBA in 1976, if memory serves the NBA adopted it at the time of the merger.
Just checked, and the NBA did adopt the three-point line in the 1979-80 season.

Last edited by The Ponderer; 05-24-2013 at 03:59 PM..

Old 05-24-2013, 04:53 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,245,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
One thing to note might be that college needs to move their 3-pt. line out a foot or so to international distance.
Yep. I don't know who all plays basketball here but the high school 3-point line is a joke for anyone with even a halfway decent shot. Tim Duncan hits line drives and bank shots from that distance. Nick Van Exel used to voluntarily shoot his free throws from almost that distance. It's hard to believe college was still using that Pee Wee court just a few years ago.

College moved back 1 foot finally, but it's still not enough imo. They need to move it back another foot and see how that goes (which would still be 2 feet shorter than NBA). You can't stretch the defense very well with a short 3-point line, so the paint is always crowded, and as a result post play is almost non-existent in college. There's not enough room to work with your back to the basket. They can triple team someone in the post and still close out 3-point shooters. And the passing lanes are too clogged because the players are packed in inside the short 3-point line resulting in sloppy play and tons of turnovers.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:40 PM

933 posts, read 1,207,687 times
You know, I would absolutely HATE if they abolished the three pointer, but I would like if they moved the college three pointer back a foot or a foot and a half. I feel like, first it is too big of an adjustment for shooters coming into the pros, but it is more than that. In college it is becoming almost just like a jumper. The three point line is entirely too close for it to deserve an extra point. Watching the college players shoot three pointers is almost painful, as the line is just way too close to award that extra point. Why don't we just give anything behind the free throw line a third point?

I don't think that is too debatable. Thank God it looks like they are shortening the shot clock too. Watching the National Championship Game this year, it was clear the HUGE difference in level of play between the NCAA and the NBA.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:11 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,245,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
You know, I would absolutely HATE if they abolished the three pointer, but I would like if they moved the college three pointer back a foot or a foot and a half. I feel like, first it is too big of an adjustment for shooters coming into the pros, but it is more than that. In college it is becoming almost just like a jumper. The three point line is entirely too close for it to deserve an extra point. Watching the college players shoot three pointers is almost painful, as the line is just way too close to award that extra point. Why don't we just give anything behind the free throw line a third point?

I don't think that is too debatable. Thank God it looks like they are shortening the shot clock too. Watching the National Championship Game this year, it was clear the HUGE difference in level of play between the NCAA and the NBA.
I didn't know they were considering that. They moved the 3-point line back 1 foot, instituted a charge circle, and now they might moved toward a 30-second shot clock. All good moves in my opinion. They keep it up and get some better refs and I might start watching college again.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:06 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,414,562 times
The 3-point shot is also an equalizer for a small team (see: Heat) ... it adds another wrinkle to the game strategy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or