U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 10:45 PM

13,244 posts, read 24,505,616 times

Advertisements

Dunking is way more difficult than anybody gives it credit for.

The difference between a college 3 pointer and a NBA one is so vast that you need to completely alter your shot. I can knock down college ones all day. I've played on the Nuggets floor at Pepsi Center several times, and you definitely need to put more oomph into your shot to get it in from 3 on an NBA floor.

That being said, anybody that thinks we need to get rid of it should go watch some NBA games from the 50's.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:14 PM

8,563 posts, read 8,912,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Dunking is way more difficult than anybody gives it credit for.

The difference between a college 3 pointer and a NBA one is so vast that you need to completely alter your shot. I can knock down college ones all day. I've played on the Nuggets floor at Pepsi Center several times, and you definitely need to put more oomph into your shot to get it in from 3 on an NBA floor.

That being said, anybody that thinks we need to get rid of it should go watch some NBA games from the 50's.

I agree, when the college three came back I remember players were licking their chops because it wasnt a big push especially for great shooters. The NBA 3 is long and requires more effort and concentration. Dunking also, most NBA guys can dunk, but dunking in a game with other nba players trying to stop you is totally different than just being tall and being able to dunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 08:22 AM

14,330 posts, read 19,581,214 times
No support here for the elimination of the 3-point shot. Good 3-point shooting teams lose too.

I'd like to see a 4-point, 5-point shot. Half-court may be a 4 or 5-point.

Maybe even a point awarded to the other team for flopping, or a point taken away from a team for flopping.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:13 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,251,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I agree, when the college three came back I remember players were licking their chops because it wasnt a big push especially for great shooters. The NBA 3 is long and requires more effort and concentration. Dunking also, most NBA guys can dunk, but dunking in a game with other nba players trying to stop you is totally different than just being tall and being able to dunk.
The NBA only shortened it to 22 feet all the way around. College distance was 19'9" at the time (20'9" now). The years they played with a shortened distance the league average 3-point percentage was 35.9%, 36.7%, and 36.0%. Last year's average was 35.9%. In 2008-2009 it was 36.7%. If they brought back the 22-feet distance today I think the average would probably be close to 40%.

I agree about dunking. People who can't dunk seem to think it's a lot easier than it is. For starters, if you can touch the rim, you need about another 8 inches to dunk. You also need room to gather and gain momentum without exposing the ball to be stolen. I can stand straight under the basket and jump up and dunk two-handed, but I'm not dunking on someone directly in front of me from 4 feet away when there's no room to gather and get momentum towards the rim.

A lot of the momentum for dunking comes from bringing the ball down to the waste area and then swinging the ball and your arms/shoulders upwards in front of you- which also exposes the ball to be stolen by the guy in front of you or by guards. That's why big men are told to hold the ball above their heads in the paint and not bring it down to the waste area where it can get stolen, but that greatly reduces your jumping ability.

Palming the ball is another issue. I can palm a basketball holding it to my side, but in a game with sweaty palms with the momentum of rapidly raising the ball up for a dunk that's another story. You can jump and swing the ball backwards behind your head using the momentum to pin it to your hand, but again that requires having a lot of momentum and room to gather.

Dunking is a whole lot harder in the middle of a game when you're winded as well. Your vertical leap when you're winded is quite a bit lower than when you're fully rested. Getting the timing right on alley oops is really difficult. Then there's getting your footwork right, taking contact, etc.

Steve Nash could dunk but how many times have you seen him dunk in a game? Same for Jason Kidd. There's a lot that goes into it that people don't realize. The degree of difficulty on some of the dunks in the NBA is ridiculous.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:35 PM

28,630 posts, read 15,537,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
The NBA only shortened it to 22 feet all the way around. College distance was 19'9" at the time (20'9" now). The years they played with a shortened distance the league average 3-point percentage was 35.9%, 36.7%, and 36.0%. Last year's average was 35.9%. In 2008-2009 it was 36.7%. If they brought back the 22-feet distance today I think the average would probably be close to 40%.
The 3 pointer is 22ft. in the corners - stretches out to 23'-9".

Just look at the line near the sidelines - it's not an arc.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:15 PM

8,563 posts, read 8,912,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
Dunking is a whole lot harder in the middle of a game when you're winded as well. Your vertical leap when you're winded is quite a bit lower than when you're fully rested. Getting the timing right on alley oops is really difficult. Then there's getting your footwork right, taking contact, etc.

Steve Nash could dunk but how many times have you seen him dunk in a game? Same for Jason Kidd. There's a lot that goes into it that people don't realize. The degree of difficulty on some of the dunks in the NBA is ridiculous.
People would be shocked to know JJ Barea can dunk....

Old 05-29-2013, 12:08 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,251,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The 3 pointer is 22ft. in the corners - stretches out to 23'-9".

Just look at the line near the sidelines - it's not an arc.
I know, I was saying when they shortened it in 94-95 it was shortened to 22 feet all around.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:27 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,470,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
People would be shocked to know JJ Barea can dunk....

Is there anyone in the NBA who absolutely cannot dunk? Heck, even 5'3 Mugssy Bogues dunked!

Old 05-29-2013, 06:00 PM

278 posts, read 256,096 times
Dunking and three pointers are here to stay in the NBA. Anything that creates excitement and leads to higher scores is a boon for the NBA business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or