U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-22-2012, 02:45 PM
 
52,096 posts, read 41,919,559 times
Reputation: 32515

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I'm just pointing out that residents of the area I asked about the incident said Monte Ellis is not the only reasons the fans were booing... which is the way the national media protrayed it.

I think the fans were out of line regardless. No matter what the reason. It was about Mullins, nothing else. But haivng said that. How many opportunities do you get to show an owner you are not happy with him?

Also, wouldnt the GM be responsible for the Ellis trade, not the owner?
Yeah, it's a shame. Good points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-22-2012, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
28,577 posts, read 15,510,176 times
Reputation: 11455
Devil's advocate...

If they play nice and did not voice their opinion on Mullin's day- when would be the right time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2012, 01:48 AM
Status: "Warrior fan no matter the roster" (set 12 hours ago)
 
Location: Springfield, Ohio
12,221 posts, read 10,448,793 times
Reputation: 11237
Well, that's a good point, but I felt they took it too far by booing for as long as they did, and especially after the two HOF players asked them not to.
Chris Cohen (their previous owner who made them the perennial losers they are) was loudly booed when Oakland hosted the All-Star Game in 2000. I don't remember any complaints then...
(BTW, this is an excellent commentary piece explaining the history behind why the fans booed: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...-60-easy-steps

As for not wanting any non-white players on the team, that's completely ridiculous and I've never heard such an assertion before. Ellis was traded because he was the best option for a trade. He also didn't help his case by racking up a sexual harrassment lawsuit for the team this past offseason.

Last edited by Natural510; 03-24-2012 at 02:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2012, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,163 posts, read 13,205,465 times
Reputation: 2489
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
I don't understand what the problem was with trading Ellis. They weren't going anywhere with him. As a matter of fact the whole reason they drafted Stephen Curry in the first place was because of Mr. Moped's accident a few years ago and the uncertainty they had that they could build a franchise around him. Maybe I'm on the outside looking in, but outside of Joe Dumars and Isaiah Thomas there has never been a duo of combo guards that have been successful in the NBA. The lack of size and defensive ability was going to always make this an issue and he just became expendable.
Sometimes Monta is hard to work with but if you break down the trade the Warriors (which are the team that I follow) gave away a top 10 scorer in Ellis, an up and coming PF/C in Udoh (who was just starting to show his potential) and the expiring contract of Brown. In return we get Bogut(who is gone for the year) and after Jackson being traded we got Richard Jefferson. So we traded away one very good player and a good young guy for a reserve. This means that we threw in the towel for this year. I realize that they want to build around Curry and they are anticipating Bogut being fine for next year but now we need another solid scorer to join the group otherwise this trade was bust. I hope it turns out well but maybe going after a center during the offseason and focusing on the draft would have worked better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2012, 08:34 PM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,163 posts, read 13,205,465 times
Reputation: 2489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I'm just pointing out that residents of the area I asked about the incident said Monte Ellis is not the only reasons the fans were booing... which is the way the national media protrayed it.

I think the fans were out of line regardless. No matter what the reason. It was about Mullins, nothing else. But haivng said that. How many opportunities do you get to show an owner you are not happy with him?

Also, wouldnt the GM be responsible for the Ellis trade, not the owner?
All moves by a GM go through the owner for approval. Now can you guarantee when you acquire an injured player that they will be 100% better the next year? We already have Curry who isn't getting better and now we traded away a guy who is a top 10 scorer. Now if Biedrins replaced Udoh in the trade, that at least would have made sense. It would have given us alot more cap space which we could have used for a free agent in the offseason. So honestly unless Bogut comes back next year injury free and starts putting up Kevin Love type stats, this trade will be a bust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2012, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,163 posts, read 13,205,465 times
Reputation: 2489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Well, that's a good point, but I felt they took it too far by booing for as long as they did, and especially after the two HOF players asked them not to.
Chris Cohen (their previous owner who made them the perennial losers they are) was loudly booed when Oakland hosted the All-Star Game in 2000. I don't remember any complaints then...
(BTW, this is an excellent commentary piece explaining the history behind why the fans booed: The Warriors have fallen just about as far as a franchise can fall - Grantland

As for not wanting any non-white players on the team, that's completely ridiculous and I've never heard such an assertion before. Ellis was traded because he was the best option for a trade. He also didn't help his case by racking up a sexual harrassment lawsuit for the team this past offseason.
Race wasn't the issue at all. Even under Mark Jackson's system, we still aren't a great defensive team so we had to win by scoring and we wound up giving away our #1 scorer. It's not brain surgery, just common sense. I might not be crazy about the booing but the executives must be put in their place. They have to see how frustrated that the fans are and do something about it ASAP. With teams like the Lakers slightly in disarray, now is the time to step up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2012, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,163 posts, read 13,205,465 times
Reputation: 2489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Classless move on the fans who booed. Lacob has made a lot of smart moves in his short time with the Warriors, and is 95% better than the previous owner (would've been 100& if he had amnestied Biedrens).
Alot of smart moves? I don't even think the Jackson for Jefferson move made sense. Jackson always fit well into our system and played great with Baron. Curry has a similiar quality that would have fit well with Jackson. As far as this trade goes, it should have been mandatory that they took Biedrins instead of Udoh too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2012, 11:46 PM
Status: "Warrior fan no matter the roster" (set 12 hours ago)
 
Location: Springfield, Ohio
12,221 posts, read 10,448,793 times
Reputation: 11237
SJax is a clubhouse cancer...do you remember how he quit on us? The only reason he was a part of the deal was because he pulled the same thing in Milwaukee and they insisted the Warriors take him. I'd prefer if they had flipped him to SA for a pick (even a late rounder) than take Jefferson's contract, but it's still addition by subtraction.
Ellis is a one-dimentional player who kept the backcourt too small and couldn't take it to the rim. He was also stifling the development of Klay Thompson, who has scored more than Ellis since the trade. I didn't like Udoh being part of the deal either, as he would've been the perfect defensive complement to Lee, but with a talent like Bogut you have to give up something.
The only thing the Dubs are missing right now is a defensive-minded forward to replace Dorrell Wright (yea, someone like Udoh). Hopefully they can pick one up if they miss out on the draft with the money they free up by amnestying Biedrens (which, if it doesn't happen, will make me boycott next season as a fan).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2012, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,163 posts, read 13,205,465 times
Reputation: 2489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
SJax is a clubhouse cancer...do you remember how he quit on us? The only reason he was a part of the deal was because he pulled the same thing in Milwaukee and they insisted the Warriors take him. I'd prefer if they had flipped him to SA for a pick (even a late rounder) than take Jefferson's contract, but it's still addition by subtraction.
Ellis is a one-dimentional player who kept the backcourt too small and couldn't take it to the rim. He was also stifling the development of Klay Thompson, who has scored more than Ellis since the trade. I didn't like Udoh being part of the deal either, as he would've been the perfect defensive complement to Lee, but with a talent like Bogut you have to give up something.
The only thing the Dubs are missing right now is a defensive-minded forward to replace Dorrell Wright (yea, someone like Udoh). Hopefully they can pick one up if they miss out on the draft with the money they free up by amnestying Biedrens (which, if it doesn't happen, will make me boycott next season as a fan).
Captain Jack only had issues with outspoken and controlling coaches. Obviously he isn't the best at fitting in but with a young team like ours he would have fit perfectly.I do agree that another 1st rounder would have been great too. I also agree that Bogut is great WHEN HEALTHY which is no guarantee. Tim Hardaway also kept us small but we had great success with him. Klay's stats have jumped significantly but that is because he took Ellis' place AND Curry is out too. When Curry is healthy those numbers will drop off alot. I do like Klay too but can we really depend on him as the FT starter next year? I don't know. Dorell also alternates position as more of a small forward while Udoh is a PF. The problem going into next year is that we are depending on full recoveries of injured players (Curry/Bogut) as opposed to ones that are performing (Ellis/Udoh). Man, I hope we make some good offseason trades or get a couple of 1st round picks. I got my fingers crossed. Unfortunately between injuries,picks,etc...there are too many variables. We will see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2012, 10:02 PM
 
Location: H-town, TX.
3,441 posts, read 5,798,650 times
Reputation: 2139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Golden State fans aren't the brightest. No offense to the normals in the Oakland region. Monta Ellis was continuing to run the program into the ground. If Bogut recovers well, this was a steal for GS and a move in the right direction for that troubled franchise.

I can see that.

I was reading some threads in the GSofM forums where there was actually debate over whether Nellie should get the axe.

Never mind that he had mailed it in after that playoff run and torn the team down to garbage...

Oh, but he won a ton of games and none that mattered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top