U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 02:50 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,647,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Sometimes Monta is hard to work with but if you break down the trade the Warriors (which are the team that I follow) gave away a top 10 scorer in Ellis, an up and coming PF/C in Udoh (who was just starting to show his potential) and the expiring contract of Brown. In return we get Bogut(who is gone for the year) and after Jackson being traded we got Richard Jefferson. So we traded away one very good player and a good young guy for a reserve. This means that we threw in the towel for this year. I realize that they want to build around Curry and they are anticipating Bogut being fine for next year but now we need another solid scorer to join the group otherwise this trade was bust. I hope it turns out well but maybe going after a center during the offseason and focusing on the draft would have worked better.
He can score, but what else can he do? The problem with the team as it was constructed, was Ellis and Curry never complimented each other. Neither really is capable of playing defense against the other team's off-guard effectively night in and night out. They needed to get a more traditional SG who can play with Curry and give them a chance for him to reach his potential. Unfortunately Thompson is not much of a defender. To me, and this is just someone on the outside looking in, I think the trade was necessary. There was no way that team was going anywhere with two combo guards and a mediocre supporting cast. Next year you will have a C who drastically improves your defense and you will also have a lottery pick to address possibly your need for a more defensive minded guard and you also have a decent defensive SF. To me I think the team will be in better shape next year.

Look at this lineup:

PG: Curry/Robinson
SG: Thompson/Draft Pick
SF: Jefferson/Wright/McGuire
PF: Lee/Draft Pick or Free Agent?
C: Bogut/Biedrins

That's a pretty decent lineup in my opinion and has a lot more potential than the team this year. I don't care how close they got, they weren't making the playoffs with that atrocious defense and trying to compete against teams that are much better than them (Jazz, Rockets, Nuggets).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 07:29 PM

8,163 posts, read 13,184,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
He can score, but what else can he do? The problem with the team as it was constructed, was Ellis and Curry never complimented each other. Neither really is capable of playing defense against the other team's off-guard effectively night in and night out. They needed to get a more traditional SG who can play with Curry and give them a chance for him to reach his potential. Unfortunately Thompson is not much of a defender. To me, and this is just someone on the outside looking in, I think the trade was necessary. There was no way that team was going anywhere with two combo guards and a mediocre supporting cast. Next year you will have a C who drastically improves your defense and you will also have a lottery pick to address possibly your need for a more defensive minded guard and you also have a decent defensive SF. To me I think the team will be in better shape next year.

Look at this lineup:

That's a pretty decent lineup in my opinion and has a lot more potential than the team this year. I don't care how close they got, they weren't making the playoffs with that atrocious defense and trying to compete against teams that are much better than them (Jazz, Rockets, Nuggets).
I totally agree that Curry and Ellis didn't work well together and the team decided to keep Curry and trade Ellis because Curry is easier to get along with. If they would have kept Ellis and traded Curry, we would have needed a pass first PG with a high assist total from game to game. We definitely needed a shakeup though. Ever since Biedrins went down hill a couple of years ago, this team has really suffered. Andris was a guy guaranteed a double/double every night and was good for a block or two but still needed to put on more size. Unfortunately his stats have dropped off considerably and we are now just waiting for his contract to expire. Now if we are healthy next year, we will definitely be competitive; but that is a 'BIG' if!

Old 04-02-2012, 11:07 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,890,266 times
the fans booed because of the monta trade, because of rumors of moving the team to SF, and because they're frustrated and tired of supporting garbage teams year in and year out. as a long time warriors fan i've also had enough of this crap and i'm boycotting this stupid team. the warriors do stupid moves year in and year out, and these new owners arent any different. theres a common theme with this team, and its "wait for next year".. at best the warriors have been a 2nd round exit team for the last 25-30 years. at their best. this team will never be an elite team like Chicago, OKC, L.A etc. bunch of bums

Old 06-18-2018, 08:02 PM

12,201 posts, read 10,418,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Classless move on the fans who booed. Lacob has made a lot of smart moves in his short time with the Warriors, and is 95% better than the previous owner (would've been 100& if he had amnestied Biedrens).
I love being right (yes I am bored)

Lancet come back, we hardly knew ye.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:16 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,875,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post

Look at this lineup:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I love being right (yes I am bored)

Lancet come back, we hardly knew ye.
Justtitans was 90% of the way there. S/he was just premature to judge Klay's defense based on his rookie work.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:49 PM

12,201 posts, read 10,418,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Justtitans was 90% of the way there. S/he was just premature to judge Klay's defense based on his rookie work.
That’s one thing (maybe the only thing) where Jackson deserves credit...turning the team into a defensive-minded unit and getting them to develop a scrappy style of play while they were still young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or