Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 02:15 PM

45,579 posts, read 27,180,466 times

Advertisements

Golden State Warriors fans boo owner Joe Lacob during Chris Mullin jersey retirement (full) - YouTube

That was about as ugly as I have seen in a while.

I think one of the comments on youtube was correct - 35 years of frustration boiling to a head with the trading of Ellis.

Sorry it had to happen on Mullin's night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 02:43 PM

David Stern also booed during Mullin's speech.

Here is the unedited portion of the ceremony. Owner starts around 7:20 of the clip when the jersey is about to be unveiled/lifted up.

03/19/12 Chris Mullin Jersey Retiring Night Complete Part 2 HD - YouTube

Old 03-21-2012, 03:20 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

Golden State Warriors fans boo owner Joe Lacob during Chris Mullin jersey retirement (full) - YouTube

That was about as ugly as I have seen in a while.

I think one of the comments on youtube was correct - 35 years of frustration boiling to a head with the trading of Ellis.

Sorry it had to happen on Mullin's night.
I don't understand what the problem was with trading Ellis. They weren't going anywhere with him. As a matter of fact the whole reason they drafted Stephen Curry in the first place was because of Mr. Moped's accident a few years ago and the uncertainty they had that they could build a franchise around him. Maybe I'm on the outside looking in, but outside of Joe Dumars and Isaiah Thomas there has never been a duo of combo guards that have been successful in the NBA. The lack of size and defensive ability was going to always make this an issue and he just became expendable.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:00 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,420 times
Plus, doesnt Ellis have the stigma of being nothing but a scorer? Doesnt make his teammates better, doesnt play defense, doesnt pass well...

Old 03-21-2012, 04:10 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,451,680 times
Golden State fans aren't the brightest. No offense to the normals in the Oakland region. Monta Ellis was continuing to run the program into the ground. If Bogut recovers well, this was a steal for GS and a move in the right direction for that troubled franchise.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:39 PM

14,680 posts, read 14,641,413 times
Classless move on the fans who booed. Lacob has made a lot of smart moves in his short time with the Warriors, and is 95% better than the previous owner (would've been 100& if he had amnestied Biedrens).

Old 03-22-2012, 09:11 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,256 times
I have some relatives in the Bay Area... And they said the booes are for more than just the Ellis trade.

One, he wants to move the stadium to San Fran or even San Jose. But away from Oakland, which does not sit well with people in Oakland. The other thing... he supposedly doesn't want to win with minority players. Again, something that does not sit well there.

If this is true, He got into the wrong professional sport to not like minority players.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:30 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I have some relatives in the Bay Area... And they said the booes are for more than just the Ellis trade.

One, he wants to move the stadium to San Fran or even San Jose. But away from Oakland, which does not sit well with people in Oakland. The other thing... he supposedly doesn't want to win with minority players. Again, something that does not sit well there.

If this is true, He got into the wrong professional sport to not like minority players.
IMO, the minority thing is a big steaming pile of BS....especially if you look at their ownership group and of course whom he just named head coach when he could have easily found a white guy.

I chalk it up to the same tired fake cries of racism everytime some idiot doesn't like that their favorite player got traded or that the roster happens to *gasp* have white guys on it.

Now booing over moving the team, I understand 100%.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:10 PM

I had not heard of the stadium issue. The way Mullin and Barry reacted, it was about the trade and the general performance of the team.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:54 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
IMO, the minority thing is a big steaming pile of BS....especially if you look at their ownership group and of course whom he just named head coach when he could have easily found a white guy.

I chalk it up to the same tired fake cries of racism everytime some idiot doesn't like that their favorite player got traded or that the roster happens to *gasp* have white guys on it.

Now booing over moving the team, I understand 100%.
I'm just pointing out that residents of the area I asked about the incident said Monte Ellis is not the only reasons the fans were booing... which is the way the national media protrayed it.

I think the fans were out of line regardless. No matter what the reason. It was about Mullins, nothing else. But haivng said that. How many opportunities do you get to show an owner you are not happy with him?

Also, wouldnt the GM be responsible for the Ellis trade, not the owner?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball