U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 05:47 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,207,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
Whether you win by an inch or a mile doesn't really matter. That you can win tough, close games is even more telling IMO.

Blazers -- So what? They completely demolished them the last time they were at Staples and that was without Sessions.

Mavs -- Pau completely owned Dirk.

Rockets -- Bynum ejected in the 3rd quarter, remember?

Jazz -- Kobe shooting 3/20 is an anomaly. The Lakers would've won the game had he shot 5/20.

Wolves -- The Lakers thoroughly dominated the entire game, something the final score doesn't indicate.
yes winning is winning, but lakers fan seems to take a series of wins over inferior competition to be the road to a ring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 09:44 AM

52,066 posts, read 41,872,746 times
Dumping Fisher for a 2nd string Cleveland PG and that's supposed to get a Lakers squad with ZERO bench over the hump?

Fat chance.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:23 PM

478 posts, read 596,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Dumping Fisher for a 2nd string Cleveland PG and that's supposed to get a Lakers squad with ZERO bench over the hump?

Fat chance.
Not saying it makes the Lakers championship contenders, but there was a reason why Sessions was the backup point guard in Cleveland. Kyrie Irving is having one of the best rookie seasons by a point guard in NBA history. Sessions is a good point guard, very capable of being a starter on a lot of NBA teams. No question it was a very good move for the Lakers. Derek Fisher is no where near is good as Ramon Sessions.

Sessions this season-10.8ppg, 5.4 assists per game, 3.2 rebound per game, .70 steals, 42% FG percentage, 43% 3 point percentage, 82% from the free throw line, in 46 games and at 24.8 minutes a game.

His stats with the Lakers-13.6ppg, 7 assists per game, 3.8 rebounds per game, .60 steals per game, 58% on FGs, 50% 3 point percentage, 77% FT percentage, averaging 27.2 minutes per game with them. His PER for the year is 17.55, which is good.

Heres Fishers stats-5.8ppg, 3.2 assists per game, 2.1 rebounds per game, .90 steals per game, 37% FG percentage, 32% 3 point percentage, 84% FT percentage, in 45 games and averaging 25.7 minutes a game. His PER is under 9.

Not even close.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:36 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,369,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 719inhere View Post
Not saying it makes the Lakers championship contenders, but there was a reason why Sessions was the backup point guard in Cleveland. Kyrie Irving is having one of the best rookie seasons by a point guard in NBA history. Sessions is a good point guard, very capable of being a starter on a lot of NBA teams. No question it was a very good move for the Lakers. Derek Fisher is no where near is good as Ramon Sessions.

Sessions this season-10.8ppg, 5.4 assists per game, 3.2 rebound per game, .70 steals, 42% FG percentage, 43% 3 point percentage, 82% from the free throw line, in 46 games and at 24.8 minutes a game.

His stats with the Lakers-13.6ppg, 7 assists per game, 3.8 rebounds per game, .60 steals per game, 58% on FGs, 50% 3 point percentage, 77% FT percentage, averaging 27.2 minutes per game with them. His PER for the year is 17.55, which is good.

Heres Fishers stats-5.8ppg, 3.2 assists per game, 2.1 rebounds per game, .90 steals per game, 37% FG percentage, 32% 3 point percentage, 84% FT percentage, in 45 games and averaging 25.7 minutes a game. His PER is under 9.

Not even close.

We will revisit this discussion in 8 weeks when the playoffs start because you know in any sport you are judged on what you do in the postseason not the regular season. So everything that Sessions is doing now will mean nothing if the Lakers don't get past the 1st round this year.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
We will revisit this discussion in 8 weeks when the playoffs start because you know in any sport you are judged on what you do in the postseason not the regular season. So everything that Sessions is doing now will mean nothing if the Lakers don't get past the 1st round this year.
It was a low risk move though. The Lakers basically traded a late first round pick for him, and unloaded the contracts of Jason Kapono and Luke Walton. I know this years draft is suppose to be deep, but nothing is for sure. Plus the same thing could be said of the Thunder, Spurs, Bulls, Heat, ect. Remember how well the Spurs did in the regular season last year, before an early first round exit via the Grizzlies?

Old 03-25-2012, 01:01 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,369,211 times
Quote:
It was a low risk move though. The Lakers basically traded a late first round pick for him, and unloaded the contracts of Jason Kapono and Luke Walton. I know this years draft is suppose to be deep, but nothing is for sure. Plus the same thing could be said of the Thunder, Spurs, Bulls, Heat, ect. Remember how well the Spurs did in the regular season last year, before an early first round exit via the Grizzlies?
The Spurs are a bad example because that organization has won three titles in the past 9 years. If you want to use a team that went to the playoffs and failed in the 1st round it would be 2007 Mavericks who had the best record that year and at the time had a long history of failing in the postseason.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
The Spurs are a bad example because that organization has won three titles in the past 9 years. If you want to use a team that went to the playoffs and failed in the 1st round it would be 2007 Mavericks who had the best record that year and at the time had a long history of failing in the postseason.
The Lakers have won the championship 5 times since 2000(2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, and 2010). Of course anything but a championship is a disappointment from organizations like the Lakers or Spurs.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:57 PM

52,066 posts, read 41,872,746 times
Quote:
I absolutely agree that the sessions trade was a good one.

I am absolutely not sold by his pts, assts etc. in not so many games.

I agree Fisher isn't as good as Sessions right now but they could have kept him around to strengthen their crappy bench and used him 15-20min a night. So unloading Fisher was purely a furture salary cap move.

Remember, this dang near the same Lakers team as last year only a year older and with even less of a bench. I just don't see this team getting out of the west and I honestly don't see them even getting to the WCF.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I absolutely agree that the sessions trade was a good one.

I am absolutely not sold by his pts, assts etc. in not so many games.

I agree Fisher isn't as good as Sessions right now but they could have kept him around to strengthen their crappy bench and used him 15-20min a night. So unloading Fisher was purely a furture salary cap move.

Remember, this dang near the same Lakers team as last year only a year older and with even less of a bench. I just don't see this team getting out of the west and I honestly don't see them even getting to the WCF.
Oh, I was responding on Sessions, and not whether the Lakers would make it far in the playoffs. I don't think they'll make it past the second round, or in other words I think the farthest they'll go is the second round.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:45 PM

3,129 posts, read 5,313,729 times
I think so. He is a gem and fits their system very well. Miami, Bulls, OKC are all fluff at this point and haven't proven anything.

Its anyones title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or