Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 10:02 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,615,349 times

Advertisements

After watching him play the past few games, and starting his first game last night against Portland, where he had 20 point and 11 assist, I think he adds an element to the Laker arsenal that they hadn’t had from the point guard position in a long time.

Getting Sessions without giving up anyone of significance is a better trade then the one that was nixed by Commissioner Stern for Chris Paul. It’s too bad this trade wasn’t made earlier instead of the Chris Paul trade attempt. We still might have a clear headed Lamar Odom too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 11:43 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,086,275 times
i dont think it makes them contenders, better? for sure, contenders no. he is a nice upgrade but i wouldnt take to much from their wins. they inched a win out vs a completely revamped and rebuilding blazers, they beat a limping along dallas team that is 1/2 a game from not even being in the playoffs, and they lost to a rockets team that is missing their starting pg, and their top scorer has torn ligaments in his shoulder. they lost to a pretty bad utah team as well. they beat the twolves who where missing their starting pg and starting sf.

lets see how they mesh, remember almost every player coming from a bad team to a good one wants to prove they belong at 1st. can he sustain his play level or will he fall back down.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:54 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,487,281 times
They for sure have moved up my personal "power rankings" of the WC the last couple weeks, but I still don't think they will make it out of the WC playoffs. If they do, I don't give them much of a chance vs the Bulls or Heat in the finals. So I do not think they are contenders, but will give them a tip of the cap to being better than I thought they were a couple months ago.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:29 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,534,042 times
They will be better for sure, but still don't see them getting out of the west. It will be interesting to see the rest of the regular season games with them playing the Spurs, Thunder, and a healthy Grizz team.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:23 PM

520 posts, read 730,955 times
I'm a Cavs fan, and Sessions is a good point guard, but idk if it makes the Lakers title contenders. Like the other posters said it makes them better for sure, but there is still the Thunder and Spurs. Quitely the Spurs have recently picked up Stephen Jackson and Boris Diaw, and players like Danny Green and Splitter for example, have stepped up big time for the Spurs.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:55 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,615,349 times
I feel getting a new coaching staff and system in the same year as a lockout, they had no time to learn the new system, so they had to wing it as the season went on. I am starting to get the feeling that they are coming around. I guess time will tell once they play teams like the Spurs and Thunder.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:11 PM

167 posts, read 268,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i dont think it makes them contenders, better? for sure, contenders no. he is a nice upgrade but i wouldnt take to much from their wins. they inched a win out vs a completely revamped and rebuilding blazers, they beat a limping along dallas team that is 1/2 a game from not even being in the playoffs, and they lost to a rockets team that is missing their starting pg, and their top scorer has torn ligaments in his shoulder. they lost to a pretty bad utah team as well. they beat the twolves who where missing their starting pg and starting sf.

lets see how they mesh, remember almost every player coming from a bad team to a good one wants to prove they belong at 1st. can he sustain his play level or will he fall back down.
Whether you win by an inch or a mile doesn't really matter. That you can win tough, close games is even more telling IMO.

Blazers -- So what? They completely demolished them the last time they were at Staples and that was without Sessions.

Mavs -- Pau completely owned Dirk.

Rockets -- Bynum ejected in the 3rd quarter, remember?

Jazz -- Kobe shooting 3/20 is an anomaly. The Lakers would've won the game had he shot 5/20.

Wolves -- The Lakers thoroughly dominated the entire game, something the final score doesn't indicate.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:43 PM

167 posts, read 268,682 times
As to whether or not the Lakers are now title contenders, that remains to be determined. I need to see them play OKC and SA.

Granted it's a small sample size, but the Lakers are averaging 102.4 points and shooting 37.5% from beyond the arc since Sessions came aboard. Now the concerns are defense (fixable) and bench production (Brown still figuring out the staggered rotations).

Old 03-24-2012, 04:06 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
After watching him play the past few games, and starting his first game last night against Portland, where he had 20 point and 11 assist, I think he adds an element to the Laker arsenal that they hadn’t had from the point guard position in a long time.

Getting Sessions without giving up anyone of significance is a better trade then the one that was nixed by Commissioner Stern for Chris Paul. It’s too bad this trade wasn’t made earlier instead of the Chris Paul trade attempt. We still might have a clear headed Lamar Odom too.
After only 2 games? The ultimate goal for the Lakers Franchise is to win a title or lose in the Finals so if the Lakers don't get beyond the first round of the playoffs then the whole Sessions discussion will be pointless.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:16 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,857,850 times
Not if Kobe only scores ~15 points with half of it being from the free throw line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball