U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 09:38 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,895,916 times

Advertisements

How do they( thus far) compare to the stars of the 80's/90's/00's. Of course many are still far away from their prime, so this is more or less forecasting based on what they've shown thus far. I'm going to include a list of guys who will carry the NBA for the next decade:

Lebron
Howard
Durant
Rose
Griffin
Paul
D-Williams
Love
Westbrook
Bynum

etc etc etc. I've left out some names, but you get the general idea. How is the next decade of NBA basketball shaping up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 10:33 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,231,520 times
You know it's so much speculation, I mean it's almost like who's the next mj, magic, Hakeem or Robinson, Clyde or rodman, bird or worthy. I think 20-25 yrs from now it will be easier to compare them because people like us will be done arguing for the mj's and magics of our time and fewer and fewer people will have really seen those guys. Think about 30 yrs from now when the 20somethings will be asking if player xxxx is the next Kobe or wade or Howard or Lebron.

All that said, I think on a level playing field, the 1/2/3 spots are as even as they may ever get with past players but the bigs are not even close. If Bynum tried one of his cheap shots on a guard of the 70/80/90's then the "enforcer" would put him on his back all night long. What would a guy like Charles oakley or Rick mahorn or bill lambeer do in that case? Hell they might straight up fight him
On the court. I miss the days of those type of players. That's why I'm loving capt jack on my spurs.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:21 AM

52,281 posts, read 42,056,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
How do they( thus far) compare to the stars of the 80's/90's/00's. Of course many are still far away from their prime, so this is more or less forecasting based on what they've shown thus far. I'm going to include a list of guys who will carry the NBA for the next decade:

Lebron
Howard
Durant
Rose
Griffin
Paul
D-Williams
Love
Westbrook
Bynum

etc etc etc. I've left out some names, but you get the general idea. How is the next decade of NBA basketball shaping up?
A very strong group especially when you consider attitude and work ethic for some of the young guys like Rose, Howard and Durant.

Also, with the way the teams are looking right now....Rose and Durant will be deep into the playoffs most years which is critical to elevating their profile.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
You know it's so much speculation, I mean it's almost like who's the next mj, magic, Hakeem or Robinson, Clyde or rodman, bird or worthy. I think 20-25 yrs from now it will be easier to compare them because people like us will be done arguing for the mj's and magics of our time and fewer and fewer people will have really seen those guys. Think about 30 yrs from now when the 20somethings will be asking if player xxxx is the next Kobe or wade or Howard or Lebron.

All that said, I think on a level playing field, the 1/2/3 spots are as even as they may ever get with past players but the bigs are not even close. If Bynum tried one of his cheap shots on a guard of the 70/80/90's then the "enforcer" would put him on his back all night long. What would a guy like Charles oakley or Rick mahorn or bill lambeer do in that case? Hell they might straight up fight him
On the court. I miss the days of those type of players. That's why I'm loving capt jack on my spurs.
Well yes, I acknowledged as much that this is nothing more than forecasting and predicting. Some have already been around long enough to kind of 'project' where their career is going ( like Durant, who despite being only 23 has already played 5 seasons and just seems to keep improving), others like Blake Griffin is still in the 'highlight reel' phase in his career and needs to add more substance.

If you want to make it easy, who do you predict will be the 'Jordan' of this era, that one guy who is basically the face of the league, or do you think there will be more of a shared thing with a few guys carrying the torch? I suppose you could say Lebron is the 'current' face of the league, but I'm thinking more about the younger guys, the 22/23 year olds like Durant, Rose, Griffin, etc etc.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Well yes, I acknowledged as much that this is nothing more than forecasting and predicting. Some have already been around long enough to kind of 'project' where their career is going ( like Durant, who despite being only 23 has already played 5 seasons and just seems to keep improving), others like Blake Griffin is still in the 'highlight reel' phase in his career and needs to add more substance.

If you want to make it easy, who do you predict will be the 'Jordan' of this era, that one guy who is basically the face of the league, or do you think there will be more of a shared thing with a few guys carrying the torch? I suppose you could say Lebron is the 'current' face of the league, but I'm thinking more about the younger guys, the 22/23 year olds like Durant, Rose, Griffin, etc etc.
Hard to say given that Rose is a quiet guy.

Probably come down to whether OKC or the Bulls are able to push past Miami (and perhaps others) for rings. I'm thinking Durant wins MVP so there are your 2 young MVPs both with teams that are good enough to be considered a championship team without too much of a stretch in optimism.

I've not watched enough of some guys like Blake G etc. to be able to add any discussion value there.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:10 PM

If I had to hazard a guess, Durant will ultimately wind up the 'greater' player compared to Rose. Alot of Rose's game is based on athleticism, as he ages will he adapt? Durant's game, to me, looks like it will age gracefully, particularly since his offensive game is shooting-based. Both, however, are dynamic talents and (seemingly) humble, which makes them easy to root for.

Last edited by Roman77; 03-26-2012 at 12:18 PM..

Old 03-26-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
If I had to hazard a guess, Durant will ultimately wind up the 'greater' player compared to Rose. Alot of Rose's game is based on athleticism, as he ages will he adapt? Durant's game, to me, looks like it will age gracefully, particularly since his offensive game is shooting-based. Both, however, are dynamic talents and (seemingly) humble, which makes them easy to root for.
Yeah, hard to say when the two will max out in ability too. The reason I picked the guys I did is they seem to put in the time and effort to reach their full potential....whatever that winds up being.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:46 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,423,233 times
Quote:
How is the next decade of NBA basketball shaping up?

I think it is in good hands from a basketball perspective as all in the list you provided are extremely talented & skilled. It rivals the talent & skill level of the 80's & early 90's star.

But I do not see the game going to new heights of popularity like it did in the 80's and early 90's. The current stars don't seem to be doing anything to take it further. They are just enjoying the benefits. They also come across as the most spoiled divas out of all the professional athletes. So because of this I do not see the NBA elevating any further as a professional sports league.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I think it is in good hands from a basketball perspective as all in the list you provided are extremely talented & skilled. It rivals the talent & skill level of the 80's & early 90's star.

But I do not see the game going to new heights of popularity like it did in the 80's and early 90's. The current stars don't seem to be doing anything to take it further. They are just enjoying the benefits. They also come across as the most spoiled divas out of all the professional athletes. So because of this I do not see the NBA elevating any further as a professional sports league.
Actually a lot of those guys on the list are not spoiled Divas. Rose in particular is often lauded by sportswriters for being anything but diva-like.

I don't know about the new heights thing, it's a true rarity to have a bird-magic rivalry or a player with the magnetism of Jordan (My grandma even looooooved MJ lol). I think the NBA's real growth in the 00's was overseas which doesn't show up as easily like the growth of the 80's and 90's.

Yao and Dirk...Parker and Ginobli....the Gasol brothers....Nash...lot's of good foreign players which of course I'm forgetting many more.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:32 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,423,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Actually a lot of those guys on the list are not spoiled Divas. Rose in particular is often lauded by sportswriters for being anything but diva-like.

Of course there are exceptions... I'm just speaking about NBA players as a whole compare to the other professional sports league's players.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or