U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 04:38 AM

3,431 posts, read 5,777,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
I also think they need to stop playing teams 4 times in the regular season. It would make tie breakers easier to play 3. No more playing opposite conf teams twice. Pretty much play everyone 3 times to eliminate all the funky tiebreaker stuff.
Pointless.

Even with a team playing everyone else (29 other teams) 3x, you still get five opponents drawing them twice each if you spread 82 games around. If those teams in that scenario are teams that figure in tiebreakers, you're back to square-root one.

I can live with tiebreakers as it doesn't come into play that often and after head-to-head it's division and conference records figuring in right after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 04:45 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,878,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
No first round byes. If you are playing 4 out of 7, how long would the bye teams be off - a couple of weeks? Too long.
Simple solution: go back to the first round being best of 5.

But seriously, the NBA won't do it. They stand to lose too much revenue by shortening the season and/or playoffs.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:56 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,194,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Pointless.

Even with a team playing everyone else (29 other teams) 3x, you still get five opponents drawing them twice each if you spread 82 games around. If those teams in that scenario are teams that figure in tiebreakers, you're back to square-root one.

I can live with tiebreakers as it doesn't come into play that often and after head-to-head it's division and conference records figuring in right after that.
And yet your wrong. Teams generally already only play opposite conference 2 times as it is. So those 5 teams would never be a division or conference team as it is. So since the schedule is made every year then the "good teams" could play the "bad teams" from the other conf 2 times.
That makes the league more competitive and more compelling, as well as eliminating all but the smallest chance for the need for a tie breaker.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:56 AM

1,860 posts, read 4,440,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
And yet your wrong. Teams generally already only play opposite conference 2 times as it is. So those 5 teams would never be a division or conference team as it is. So since the schedule is made every year then the "good teams" could play the "bad teams" from the other conf 2 times.
That makes the league more competitive and more compelling, as well as eliminating all but the smallest chance for the need for a tie breaker.
While we're on this topic, they need to eliminate divisions and just have 2 conferences. I mean, when only 16 of your 82 games are against your own division, how can you have that much of a rivalry? I say just play everyone in your own conference 4 times which would mean 56 games, and play the other 26 vs. the other conference. And if two teams tie for the 8-seed & they each won 2 during the season vs. each other, have them play a one game playoff to get in. Would add a little more intrigue; all the other seeds if there is a same record and they were 2-2 could be determined by best conference record.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:10 PM

3,441 posts, read 5,001,887 times

Old 04-14-2012, 08:51 PM

8,163 posts, read 13,181,012 times
I prefer the 82 game season but I like the fact that there are more games for each team per week.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:44 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,150,327 times
It's been painful to watch my team this year, even though it's doing well. The B2Bs have sapped the team's energy, and I've seen more airballs and also more Ft bouncing off the front of the rim than in recent years. Injuries are magnified, as a player may miss more than just one or two games. Everyone still suits up, but too many guys are wearing Armani instead of jerseys. Please, no more shortened seasons.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:23 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,266,872 times
82 games is to much and the compressed schedule this year is even worse. I'd prefer to see the stars healthy and ready to roll for the playoffs. With the Stern approach of maximizing dates, the fan ends up with an inferior product. With the compressed schedule there is an inevitable overtraining effect. Any athlete needs recovery time in order to have peak performance.

With Stern we get Walmart performance--minimum quality--at Nieman Marcus prices.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:27 AM

4,209 posts, read 2,825,676 times
The 82 game season is too long, amd I actually think that shortening the season would raise the popularity and profile of the NBA right here in the States. I dont know if 66 games is the way to go, although I second the notion of maybe stretching 66 drom December 1st. The NBA is fighting with the NHL for last place in the big four; you can no longer positively say that the NBA is better played or more popular than the NHL. The regular season is boring and redundant. Now for the playoffs, I just think the scheduling balance is off. I like both a 7 or 5-games first round, but it seems that some series are given more days between games. Have no proof to back that up tho...

The NBA playoffs are exciting, for the most part, throughout. Something seriously has to be done to raise their stock, as college basketball appears to soon pass the league up as well...

Old 04-19-2012, 05:57 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,879,106 times
Maybe they should just have a 60 game season and make the playoffs with the top 16 teams...forget the conference crap...just the best 16 teams make the playoffs and go from there which would make a longer playoff, but at least we will have shortened the regular season. What we need to determine is if the 1st and 2nd round will be best of 5 or 7. Thus, the season will end in June just like any other year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball