U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 11:03 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,461,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i do not like either of them as a person.
Perfect. Because, they can please all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time. But, they cannot please all of the people, all of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 11:21 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,424,247 times
Quote:
i do not like either of them as a person. (hence personally)
You do not know them as a person though? You only know them as basketball players...

Quote:
i do not like the way they act, carry themselves, hold themselves on high, and so on.
These are not things YOU know... you are going by what you see and hear on TV or in articles. So you do not know these things yourself or "personally".

Quote:
i do not like either of them as a person thus i do not like them personally.
Oxymoron... because you do not know them "as a person". You only know them as professional athletes (a virtual entity). You have to know them "personally" to not like them "as a person"

Quote:
dont have to "know someone" one on on face to face to personally not like someone.
uh... actually the way you were using the phrase, you do.

Maybe this definition will help you...

Personally (per·son·al·ly) -
1. With the personal presence or action of the individual specified; in person.
2. As far as oneself is concerned: Personally

If you were saying it as #2... YOU, as in yourself just did not like them as a blanket statement it would be ok, because then that is you "personally" not liking them. But you are saying the word personally "as a person" ; like #1 (you even said that in the first quote above). You like their game but not them? Well you only know their game... not them. So you cannot dislike them "as a person" because you do not know them as a person.

Look... I understand that everyone is entitled to not like athletes, but don't pretend like you know them and say you dont like them personally. We as the general public do not have a enough information to say we do not like a player "personally" but like his game. We have no idea what those guys are "really" like. We just know what we see and hear on TV or in articles. That is not how you "personally" know someone.

Food for Thought: if you would not be called upon in court to testify about a person... then you don't know them!

Sorry OP for hi-jacking this thread... I'll myself and get back on topic.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:52 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,461,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post

*lol* Personally speaking, I'm not in love with either of you.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:33 PM

1,816 posts, read 1,770,430 times
Watching Lebron down here for the past couple of years, there is no doubt this guy is the best athlete I have ever seen. He does things that are almost humanely impossible----he is a very exciting and thrilling athlete to watch.

The criticism is that he picks vital parts of the season to slump----when a great player should step up in the midst of playoffs, he has a tendency to have some quiet moments..

I believe this is his his eight year, and at this point in his career, and with his supporting cast of regulars with the Heat, the pressure for a title will be enormous for him this year. It took Jordan some years to win the big one, so hopefully Lebron gets the weight off his shoulders.

Lebron will just not be thought of in the same class as Magic, Jordan, Bird ect until he is the victory circle. He is a decent guy, and I hope he can win the big prize. This is a very demanding area down here, and the national media loves its championship winners-------Lebron may the best athlete and performer ever to play in the NBA, but he will not be enshrined as a true hero until he wins the big one.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:51 PM

52,315 posts, read 42,083,671 times
The irony here is that if the Heat win it all this year and Lebron has a solid playoffs, all of this talk is going to disappear.

You have to realize how much trash my cousins (Celtics fans) used to talk about Jordan. He'll never win a championship, he's not a great team player...blah blah blah.

I think the Heat have as good a shot at a title this year as any other team.

So, what happens if they win? Lebron gets a finals MVP?

Old 04-16-2012, 01:32 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,704,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The irony here is that if the Heat win it all this year and Lebron has a solid playoffs, all of this talk is going to disappear.

You have to realize how much trash my cousins (Celtics fans) used to talk about Jordan. He'll never win a championship, he's not a great team player...blah blah blah.

I think the Heat have as good a shot at a title this year as any other team.

So, what happens if they win? Lebron gets a finals MVP?
So many ifs. If if was a 5th we would all be drunk....

Old 04-16-2012, 01:59 PM

366 posts, read 678,310 times
Default Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Last night was an example of what I'm talking about. All he had to do was hit both free throws and the game would have been over. Of course he bricks one. How can this guy get so much credit, for so many things but he is a marginal player in critical moments of the game? I honestly believe more and more that he was just a hype machine after Jordan left, but he will never live up that and there is a possibility that in a few years he may not even been considered a franchise ball player.
Lebron is the real deal. The only thing he hasn't done is win a the title. In Cleveland he had sub par coaching and sub par teammates. In Miami he is still affected by a very sub par coach (the guy hasn't figured out the proper substitute rotation yet and the playoffs are twelve days away), but has very good teammates with Bosh and Wade.

Blame the coach and general manager if the Heat don't win the title. Pat Riley things he's the greatest coach in the world, but he forgets he was surrounded with exceptional athletes in LA, NY and MIA. He has had the great fortune to have coached at least ten Hall of Fame players and a plethora of All Stars.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:55 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,235,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
You do not know them as a person though? You only know them as basketball players...

These are not things YOU know... you are going by what you see and hear on TV or in articles. So you do not know these things yourself or "personally".

Oxymoron... because you do not know them "as a person". You only know them as professional athletes (a virtual entity). You have to know them "personally" to not like them "as a person"

uh... actually the way you were using the phrase, you do.

If you were saying it as #2... YOU, as in yourself just did not like them as a blanket statement it would be ok, because then that is you "personally" not liking them. But you are saying the word personally "as a person" ; like #1 (you even said that in the first quote above). You like their game but not them? Well you only know their game... not them. So you cannot dislike them "as a person" because you do not know them as a person.

Look... I understand that everyone is entitled to not like athletes, but don't pretend like you know them and say you dont like them personally. We as the general public do not have a enough information to say we do not like a player "personally" but like his game. We have no idea what those guys are "really" like. We just know what we see and hear on TV or in articles. That is not how you "personally" know someone.

Food for Thought: if you would not be called upon in court to testify about a person... then you don't know them!

Sorry OP for hi-jacking this thread... I'll myself and get back on topic.
Personally I think your stretching to try to prove some ridiculous point that your wrong about as evident in your own definitions.

Personally speaking this is a top 5 dumbest conversation on the basketball board since I joined, and arguably top 2-3 this year.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:53 AM

52,315 posts, read 42,083,671 times
Lebron scored the last 17 points for the Heat last night for a narrow road win in NJ.

Seemed pretty clutch to me.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:22 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,235,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Lebron scored the last 17 points for the Heat last night for a narrow road win in NJ.

Seemed pretty clutch to me.
on the other hand it was a narrow win over the nets. a nets team with no dwill, no farmar, no lopez, and no gerald wallace. even with dwade sitting that should have never even been a question mark game. the heat almost lost that game and lebron had to pull 17 points out of his backside in the 4th against inferior competition to win that game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or