U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-17-2012, 09:50 PM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,192,016 times
Reputation: 1982

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I was at this game, it seemed like Lebron was more or less coasting through 3 quarter and,to his credit, turned it up big time in the forth. A few times the Nets 'defense' parted like the Red sea and Lebron waltzed into the lane. So it was a good effort on his part at the end, we do have to keep in mind that it was against a depleted Nets team who aren't exactly juggernauts even at full strength.

Another thing, is Wade injured? He was suited up last night but didn't play.....
last i heard "mr pay me" was complaining over the last month or so about being tired or worn out from the schedule. i believe he is just resting with "phantom injuries" in the box score.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-18-2012, 09:44 AM
 
51,857 posts, read 41,758,040 times
Reputation: 32364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Another thing, is Wade injured? He was suited up last night but didn't play.....
They are resting Wade for the playoffs.
They've put some awful heavy minutes on the Heat starters this year so it's a wise move.

I think it's like that with lots of players meaning that if this were the playoffs Kobe would be out there instead of nursing a shin injury.

The older veteran, well coached teams are just coasting at this point and if they lose an extra game here or there no biggie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2012, 10:27 AM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,192,016 times
Reputation: 1982
I just read something interesting. We talked about Kobe trying to pass Kareem for points leader. He needs to average 23 ppg for 80 games for 5 more years to pass Kareem. That's not to far fetched but still tough. Lebron on the other hand needs to average 23ppg For 10 more years to pass Kareem. Is that likely? That puts lebron at 37 yrs old. Obviously the more years he averages 25-26-28 ppg the less he will need at an advanced age. If he wins a couple rings I could easily see him going to a bad team and being the man (Jordan/wizards???). A 37 yr old lebron on a bobcats team could (and likely should) average 15-20 ppg if not more.

He has 2000 points over Kobe at the same age, and 5000 over Kareem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2012, 11:04 AM
 
51,857 posts, read 41,758,040 times
Reputation: 32364
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
I just read something interesting. We talked about Kobe trying to pass Kareem for points leader. He needs to average 23 ppg for 80 games for 5 more years to pass Kareem. That's not to far fetched but still tough. Lebron on the other hand needs to average 23ppg For 10 more years to pass Kareem. Is that likely? That puts lebron at 37 yrs old. Obviously the more years he averages 25-26-28 ppg the less he will need at an advanced age. If he wins a couple rings I could easily see him going to a bad team and being the man (Jordan/wizards???). A 37 yr old lebron on a bobcats team could (and likely should) average 15-20 ppg if not more.

He has 2000 points over Kobe at the same age, and 5000 over Kareem.
Kobe has already missed 6 games this season (and counting).
As another example, even from age 25-29 he only averaged about 74 games a season.

It's just such a slippery slope in that a year like this between injury and strike he may only get in 57 or so games.

A few years of 60 games and suddenly old age really starts to catch you and scoring is falling off and you can't play 80 games and so on.

We will see. Personally, Kobe has had enough injuries over the years that I don't think he will catch kareem. Lebron might.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2012, 06:45 AM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,877,543 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
I just read something interesting. We talked about Kobe trying to pass Kareem for points leader. He needs to average 23 ppg for 80 games for 5 more years to pass Kareem. That's not to far fetched but still tough. Lebron on the other hand needs to average 23ppg For 10 more years to pass Kareem. Is that likely? That puts lebron at 37 yrs old. Obviously the more years he averages 25-26-28 ppg the less he will need at an advanced age. If he wins a couple rings I could easily see him going to a bad team and being the man (Jordan/wizards???). A 37 yr old lebron on a bobcats team could (and likely should) average 15-20 ppg if not more.

He has 2000 points over Kobe at the same age, and 5000 over Kareem.
This season, Kobe is scoring 28 points on 43% shooting. I think at this stage in his career, that's the best we can expect from him. Considering Bynum's level of play now, there's no reason for Kobe to be averaging more than 23-24 points, and allowing Bynum to take a larger scoring burden. I don't expect him to average 23 points, over 80 games, for 5 years. It's not so much the scoring as it is the mileage and expectation that he'll be able to play full seasons for 5-6 more years. I also don't see where chucking his way to 20+ points on low shooting percentages is going to prop up his legacy. Most consider Jordan the GOAT, and he's not the all-time scoring leader. If Kobe wants to make that debate a REAL discussion, he is probably going to need 2 more rings. If he's going to put his personal goals first, I don't see that becoming a reality.

As for Lebron, for some reason I don't see him averaging 25+ points when he's Kobe's age unless he continues to refine his scoring arsenal as he ages. Personally, I don't think scoring is as important to Lebron as it is to Kobe, so I doubt he even makes an attempt at the record. If there's anyone out now who I see challenging for that all-time mark, it's......you guessed it.....Kevin Durant. His game appears to be built for aging gracefully and, assuming he's healthy, I can see him at 35 years old averaging 25 points and over the 30,000 point mark. He also came into the league scoring big right away( unlike Kobe who didn't become a 20+ scorer till his 4th season), and I fully expect that he'll maintain a 27-28 ppg average over the next decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2012, 08:04 AM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,192,016 times
Reputation: 1982
The problem I have with durants chances, he is just not strong, his body almost seems frail and while he is young he can take the wear and tear of the game, I don't see him staying healthy consistently for 10 more years. His game isn't a power game obviously but I don't know how his frame can take the beating for so long. This is why I like lebrons chances. He has the build to take the beating, and has the finesse to work past the age thing. He is averaging 27 right now. With that average somewhat realistically for 5 more years at an average of 75 games that's a bit more then 10k points putting him at 29100. That means he needs 9200 points for the rest of his career after that. In 5 seasons he will be 32 yrs old. That's like 17-18 ppg average for 7 more seasons. Tough but not impossible. Realistic? Maybe not but possible none the less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2012, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,877,543 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
The problem I have with durants chances, he is just not strong, his body almost seems frail and while he is young he can take the wear and tear of the game, I don't see him staying healthy consistently for 10 more years. His game isn't a power game obviously but I don't know how his frame can take the beating for so long. This is why I like lebrons chances. He has the build to take the beating, and has the finesse to work past the age thing. He is averaging 27 right now. With that average somewhat realistically for 5 more years at an average of 75 games that's a bit more then 10k points putting him at 29100. That means he needs 9200 points for the rest of his career after that. In 5 seasons he will be 32 yrs old. That's like 17-18 ppg average for 7 more seasons. Tough but not impossible. Realistic? Maybe not but possible none the less.
Yes, but note that Durant has played 5 straight healthy seasons; while he is slight of build there's also a negative to carrying too much muscle as well( Lebron seems to be an exception, but he's athletic freak). Thus far, his slim build hasn't resulted in a rash of injuries. He's also more of a shooter, so not taking the pounding that slashers take is going help him in the long run.

Lebron's athletic advantage isn't going to last forever, so whatever finesse he currently has isn't going to aid him when he's 35. Also, while his scoring numbers suggest otherwise, Lebron's nature is more of a passer, so I don't see him trying to score, score, score at an older age just to break the record. Durant,IMO, is a more natural scorer and shooter which isn't going to be as impacted by age as Lebron's game is likely to be. Let's put it this way, assuming both guys are playing at 35 and in relative health, I predict Durant will be scoring bigger numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2012, 09:36 AM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,877,543 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
last i heard "mr pay me" was complaining over the last month or so about being tired or worn out from the schedule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
They are resting Wade for the playoffs.
Interesting. So has Miami given up on trying to get the #1 seed out East?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2012, 09:46 AM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,192,016 times
Reputation: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Interesting. So has Miami given up on trying to get the #1 seed out East?
i would think so i mean they are 2.5 games back with 5 games left. chicago would have to go 2-2 in their last 4 and miami would need to win out pretty much. chicago owns the tie breaker i believe.

as i was saying in the "suprised chicago" thread i think miami has a tougher 1st rounder but the 2nd rounder for chicago is much tougher then for the heat. boston or indy/orlando (with howard having a herniated disk or something). i take the later over boston at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2012, 12:56 PM
 
51,857 posts, read 41,758,040 times
Reputation: 32364
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i would think so i mean they are 2.5 games back with 5 games left. chicago would have to go 2-2 in their last 4 and miami would need to win out pretty much. chicago owns the tie breaker i believe.

as i was saying in the "suprised chicago" thread i think miami has a tougher 1st rounder but the 2nd rounder for chicago is much tougher then for the heat. boston or indy/orlando (with howard having a herniated disk or something). i take the later over boston at this point.
Boston absolutely does not scare me as a Bulls fan. It's a bad bad matchup for Boston. They match-up much better vs. the Heat.

The Bulls slaughter Boston in the paint and beat them 3-1 this season.

Miami's chance at catching the Bulls died with the OT loss to them heads up last week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top