U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 06:04 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,608,124 times

Advertisements

I think the Lakers size could pose a different kind of challenge for the Thunder, but I also think the Thunder are a different kind of opponent for the Lakers as well. The Lakers probably should have dispatched the smaller Nuggets in five or six games, but were unable to because they've proven they have vulnerabilities rotating on defense.

I'm really anxious to see how the Thunder shoot from the perimeter, particularly Durant and Westbrook. If they light it up and can get hot from the perimeter that's going to open up all sorts of problems for the Lakers. The key is to penetrate with speed and hit outside shots. The Lakers defend the rim well, but if you force them to move, they typically have trouble doing so.

It's really a dangerous series for both teams. I'm leaning to OKC in this one though. I think they've figured it out since last year's collapse against Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 06:37 PM

51,912 posts, read 41,783,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Yea... ur right. This is the case

but I wanna see what Rigas said. A knock down, drag-out series that goes 6-7 games.

As fans we NEED that right about now as the second round looks horrible in all the other series.
Amen to that.

As a Bulls fan, I felt they were not quite ready to beat the Heat but had closed some ground. I REALLY wanted to see that series. In fact, I'm on vacation around that time...sigh.

The injuries in the east have made it BORING.

What has looked to be one of the best most competitive playoff you could ask for....is quietly going down with a whimper.

To be honest, I must admit I'm more interested at this point in some of the underlying Lakers drama than most of the match-ups. What happens this playoff series MIGHT have huge implications on summer trades etc.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I think the Lakers size could pose a different kind of challenge for the Thunder, but I also think the Thunder are a different kind of opponent for the Lakers as well. The Lakers probably should have dispatched the smaller Nuggets in five or six games, but were unable to because they've proven they have vulnerabilities rotating on defense.

I'm really anxious to see how the Thunder shoot from the perimeter, particularly Durant and Westbrook. If they light it up and can get hot from the perimeter that's going to open up all sorts of problems for the Lakers. The key is to penetrate with speed and hit outside shots. The Lakers defend the rim well, but if you force them to move, they typically have trouble doing so.

It's really a dangerous series for both teams. I'm leaning to OKC in this one though. I think they've figured it out since last year's collapse against Dallas.
OKC has some size, especially with Perkins whom doesn't have to carry a scoring load but rather just be nasty in the paint. The Thunder has a vastly more impressive interior than Denver IMO....and then add Durant, Westbrook etc.

OKC is a championship calibre team, just not sure they have the playoff experience yet. They will be a tough out for anyone.

P.S. And Durant probably wants blood for losing MVP.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:44 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,880,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I think the Thunder are just a brutal match-up for the Lakers.

I'm mainly interested in the series to see if the finger pointing intensifies, if Kobe shares the ball and just how big the meltdown becomes if they get thrashed by OKC.

Maybe I'm crazy, I've certainly been wrong before but there have been some very very strong words PUBLICALLY and I'm wondering just how long Bynum or Gasol are going to stay silent and take it?

I just see all the same parallels from when Shaq was run-off. The tone, the fan and media adoration of Kobe as he launches tons of shots and the disinterest of his big-men....dejavu folks.
You're right. Kobe blames Pau on that turnover last night when Kobe was doing too many isos and went 2-10 after coming in during the 4th when the Lakers had a 11pt lead. Kobe blaming Pau when he should look in the mirror. Here is the breakdown when Kobe entered the game in 4th:

Enters with 8 minutes and change, Lakers have 11 pt lead

1st shot guarded by Harden, misses

Kobe 1 point off free throw for Westbrook's "Technical Foul"

2nd shot guarded by Harden, misses

3rd shot guarded by Harden, misses.

4th shot perfectly defended by Harden, make as shot clock expires with fallaway baseline jumper with hand in his face.

Durant switches on to Kobe.

fifth shot misses, announcers say Sefo should be guarding Kobe

sixth shot misses, also guarded by Durant

seventh shot 3 pt attempt, guarded by Durant, misses

Next usage, Ibaka switches onto Kobe off the screen, foul, Kobe makes free throws.

eighth shot guarded by Durant, misses

Last possesion, ninth shot guarded by Harden, misses.

10th shot off rebound, lightly contested by Sefo, meaningless shot good.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
You're right. Kobe blames Pau on that turnover last night when Kobe was doing too many isos and went 2-10 after coming in during the 4th when the Lakers had a 11pt lead. Kobe blaming Pau when he should look in the mirror. Here is the breakdown when Kobe entered the game in 4th:

Enters with 8 minutes and change, Lakers have 11 pt lead

1st shot guarded by Harden, misses

Kobe 1 point off free throw for Westbrook's "Technical Foul"

2nd shot guarded by Harden, misses

3rd shot guarded by Harden, misses.

4th shot perfectly defended by Harden, make as shot clock expires with fallaway baseline jumper with hand in his face.

Durant switches on to Kobe.

fifth shot misses, announcers say Sefo should be guarding Kobe

sixth shot misses, also guarded by Durant

seventh shot 3 pt attempt, guarded by Durant, misses

Next usage, Ibaka switches onto Kobe off the screen, foul, Kobe makes free throws.

eighth shot guarded by Durant, misses

Last possesion, ninth shot guarded by Harden, misses.

10th shot off rebound, lightly contested by Sefo, meaningless shot good.
EXACTLY. And int he other thread I mentioned his shot charted showed he took 1 shot in the paint in the 4th quarter.

Kobe is the reason the Lakers are down 3-1. Period. You cannot shoot 36% in two games, 38% in another and 43% in the most recent while taking 1/3 of all your teams shots and hope to win.

The Lakers went inside early...built a nice lead. They get maybe 20 shots a quarter. The last quarter Kobe took 1/2 the shots and only made 2. FAIL.

Oh well.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
I think the Thunder are just a brutal match-up for the Lakers.

I'm mainly interested in the series to see if the finger pointing intensifies, if Kobe shares the ball and just how big the meltdown becomes if they get thrashed by OKC.

Maybe I'm crazy, I've certainly been wrong before but there have been some very very strong words PUBLICALLY and I'm wondering just how long Bynum or Gasol are going to stay silent and take it?

I just see all the same parallels from when Shaq was run-off. The tone, the fan and media adoration of Kobe as he launches tons of shots and the disinterest of his big-men....dejavu folks.
I'm going to bump this, just because I see the Lakers circling a black hole right now. This is going to end UGLY.

Watch Bynum and Gasol abandon ship and leave the Lakers to stew with Kobe chasing the scoring list. It's done, the Lakers era with Kobe is OVER.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:28 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,413,148 times
Quote:
It's done, the Lakers era with Kobe is OVER.
I think u are right.

I won't say 100% yet... But it's atleast 99%!

Old 05-20-2012, 05:18 PM

3,441 posts, read 5,002,397 times
That about wraps up the Lakers.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:06 PM

297 posts, read 340,284 times
Quote:
I'm going to bump this, just because I see the Lakers circling a black hole right now. This is going to end UGLY.

Watch Bynum and Gasol abandon ship and leave the Lakers to stew with Kobe chasing the scoring list. It's done, the Lakers era with Kobe is OVER.
Well it's been a hell of a run.

I'd be open to trading Kobe but I know if management would ever do that. And at this point in his career I'm not sure you could get a lot back in return.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:15 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,195,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobrandon View Post
Well it's been a hell of a run.

I'd be open to trading Kobe but I know if management would ever do that. And at this point in his career I'm not sure you could get a lot back in return.
Kobe to NYC for melo straight up. Then the Knicks hire Phil Jackson to coach. Kobe/amare..... Kobe has another scapegoat, melo is a name so LA will love him at 1st.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball