U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 04:55 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,306,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
All I know is that if the Lakers play like this against the next tier of competition they will no longer be in the playoffs and there will be some difficult questions to answer.

Bynum is under a team option for next year....after that he is a free agent.

I think that is the potential break point for the Lakers. Do they lose the best center in the west because they won't rein in an aging Kobe from taking 30 shots anytime he feels like it?

I know that everything comes up roses for the lakers with getting Shaq and the gasol etc. over the years.....but let me raise the ugly spectre of Bynum forcing a trade and the fortunes of free agency giving the Lakers the butt end of a deal. Just throwing that out there.
I don't think it matters how the Lakers play next round because they won't have home court advantage and will be playing a better team. I will be shocked if the Lakers won more than a game next round since the Thunder have the better starting five and bench.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 07:02 PM

3,441 posts, read 5,003,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
NO. They needed to scrap that "no trade" clause that is in selfish Me-First idiot shooting all the time guard's contract. Bryant is killing this team. Killing it.
Nope. The Lakers would be much worse off without Bryant.

The Lakers need a better bench.

I agree that Kobe shoots too much sometimes but he is not the main reason why the Lakers aren't doing well.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:50 PM

51,928 posts, read 41,798,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
Nope. The Lakers would be much worse off without Bryant.

The Lakers need a better bench.

I agree that Kobe shoots too much sometimes but he is not the main reason why the Lakers aren't doing well.
Then what is? Point to the box score and tell us?

Old 05-10-2012, 09:44 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,306,870 times
The Lakers don't have much of a bench which is why they are not expected to contend for a title. The only good player they have coming off the bench is Blake.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:06 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,609,110 times
Don't blame Kobe for the Lakers losses; blame the other players for not stepping up early in the game.

I get how Kobe works. He'll give his team about a quarter -- maybe two -- to get hot. If it looks like they're not showing up, then he takes it upon himself to do the scoring. Bynum, Gasol, and Sessions...they all had a chance to step up and assert themselves early. They didn't. I blame them.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:41 AM

51,928 posts, read 41,798,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Don't blame Kobe for the Lakers losses; blame the other players for not stepping up early in the game.

I get how Kobe works. He'll give his team about a quarter -- maybe two -- to get hot. If it looks like they're not showing up, then he takes it upon himself to do the scoring. Bynum, Gasol, and Sessions...they all had a chance to step up and assert themselves early. They didn't. I blame them.
Seriously? Let's look back at the loss where Kobe shot 32 times.

He took 9 shots in the first quarter alone, making 3 of them.

Bynum 2/4
Gasol 1/4
Sessions 1/1

Hey though this is nothing new for many Lakers fans though. Lakers win....Kobe gets all the credit. Lakers lose....hey let's blame sesssions and barnes.

Now for game 6, that's not Kobe's fault.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:44 AM

9,349 posts, read 5,566,706 times
Welp, more of the same form Bynum. I'm telling you guys, he's a 12 year old kid. when he gets the ball and makes his shots, he's all hyped up.

But when he misses a few shots, gets frustrated, he checks out of the game mentally and sits on the end of the bench. Did you guys see that shot of him during a timeout? The entire team was huddled around Mike Brown as he drew up a play, and Bynum was all by himself at the very end of the bench with a towel on his head, staring off into space. What a chump.

If he had any kind of work ethic and heart, he could be the best center in the NBA for years to come. But he doesn't. He's a goof, and I think deep down Kobe doesn't really care for him...

Old 05-11-2012, 08:05 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,609,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
But when he misses a few shots, gets frustrated, he checks out of the game mentally and sits on the end of the bench. Did you guys see that shot of him during a timeout? The entire team was huddled around Mike Brown as he drew up a play, and Bynum was all by himself at the very end of the bench with a towel on his head, staring off into space. What a chump.

If he had any kind of work ethic and heart, he could be the best center in the NBA for years to come. But he doesn't. He's a goof, and I think deep down Kobe doesn't really care for him...
That's exactly what I'm talking about. Forget Kobe's stats. Kobe is probably showing signs of wear and tear, and I've noticed that Kobe doesn't quite have the explosiveness and the ability to create his own shot the way that he did even a few years ago, so he's definitely deficient in that regard. Maybe the stats bear that out.

Even so, Kobe can still take over a game at times, and that's a strong temptation. Kobe is the only guy on that team who has been a consistent performer and a consistent leader, year in and year out. Gasol had a great run in 2009 and was okay in 2010, but he became Gasoft in 2011, and it looks like that's what he is now. Gasol has shown remarkable potential, but as was pointed out above, he just flips out at times, and now there's no Phil Jackson around to keep a lid on his temperament.

As I said in a previous post, Kobe gets a feel for the game. The Lakers effort coming out in the first quarter was just woefully inadequate. It was like they were playing in a shoot-around session and Denver was going full throttle. Kobe got it right away and decided he was going to take over. Historically, the Lakers don't always do so well when the balance of scoring is concentrated in Kobe's hands; they need better distribution of scoring. Gasol and Bynum have to step up.

I don't know who wins in game 7. The Lakers have a size advantage that they can exploit against anyone, and they did it for two games against Denver. They're good when they're confident. What would worry me, though, is what happens when Denver goes on another 10-0 run. Would the Lakers recover mentally? Or would they abandon their strategy? At this point, I think the Lakers have the talent to win it; I just don't know if they have the heart. I know this: the Nuggets are more motivated to win than L.A. is -- that much is obvious. Most of this core of Lakers have won a title - maybe two - so it's for pride. It's definitely not for their coach and I don't think they're even playing for each other. But Denver's definitely going to gut it out for George Karl, and they're playing for each other.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:37 AM

12,977 posts, read 29,650,235 times
Offense should run through Bynum/Gasol. If Lakers do that, they have a good chance of competing with the Thunder. If stupid Bryant jacks up 30+ shots per game they have no chance.

Also, I was going to post the other day wondering when stupid Bryant would pull out the "Im Sick" card in these playoffs. EVERY YEAR he's been in the league he's played that card. Almost always in a "must win" or game 7 situation as well. I believe he does this to say, if they win - "Look at how great I am!! Just like Michael Jordan I played sick did well and won". Or if they lose - "If I had been healthy, I think we would have won" or "You know, I was sick so I wasnt on my game.....". EVERY FRIGGIN YEAR HE PLAYS THAT "Im sick" card. EVERY YEAR!! HATE that guy.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:34 AM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,883,509 times
bynum during last night's game with Denver.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball