U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 04:37 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,192,016 times

Advertisements

do not think anyone is apologizing for artest, but more trying to deflect the crazy talk. ok so the guy elbowed someone in the head for no reason, he went into the stands after a fan who threw a drink in his face. these are all terrible things from a professional athlete, BUT once again its not like dude killed someone . i mean whats next? you guys are gonna go right past suspensions and right into jail time. maybe harden and the thunder should sue him for assault?

how about steven jackson? he has had a history of "violence" maybe the next flagrant he gets he should face a year off? or how about all the rest of the guys involved in the "malace at the palace"? i guess they are all marked now?

how about bynum? he has a history of some pretty bad attacks, maybe his next elbow to the ribs should be a season off? kevin garnett has a history of crazy, starting ish with smaller white point guards, maybe we should file harassment charges on him, or at least label him a racist.....

my point is, yes artest has a history, he has a mental issue, and yes he did a pretty nasty thing BUT all this "he is the scum or hte earth" and "should not be called a human being" is just ridiculous. its a sport, and the guy let his emotion get in the way of good judgement but come damn man. save those comments for cases like these

WWII veteran beaten, wife killed in home invasion - National Military and Veterans | Examiner.com

Verna McClain Charged: Nurse Admits Shooting Mom, Stealing Newborn Outside Texas Hospital

not a guy who threw an elbow in a basketball game.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 05:18 PM

439 posts, read 783,153 times
@ Rigas

People who are considered scum don't have to be ONLY murderers and the likes you mentioned in those links. Maybe to you he Isn't so bad a person, but to me and many others, Ron Artest is human trash after this latest incident.
Now of course, I'm not crying for him to be thrown in jail or go to trial (unless the league or the guy he KO'ed wants to do so), but IMO, he deserves nothing short of being banned from the NBA. I can't even think of another player who has a history of conduct that's WORSE than Artest's... He needs to be made an example of by the commissioner to show that a guy with history of violence that Ron Artest has will not be tolerated in the league anymore!
The only people that will cry foul about this are Lakers fans and the players union. Everyone else will say good riddance.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:31 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,192,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapanza107 View Post
@ Rigas

People who are considered scum don't have to be ONLY murderers and the likes you mentioned in those links. Maybe to you he Isn't so bad a person, but to me and many others, Ron Artest is human trash after this latest incident.
Now of course, I'm not crying for him to be thrown in jail or go to trial (unless the league or the guy he KO'ed wants to do so), but IMO, he deserves nothing short of being banned from the NBA. I can't even think of another player who has a history of conduct that's WORSE than Artest's... He needs to be made an example of by the commissioner to show that a guy with history of violence that Ron Artest has will not be tolerated in the league anymore!
The only people that will cry foul about this are Lakers fans and the players union. Everyone else will say good riddance.
you must be new to the nba. in this time of woosification artest might be one of the worst offenders around. 20 years ago elbows flew freely. people TRIED to take each others heads off. that was how things where.

maybe we should ban 75% of every hockey "goon", those guys are always trying to hurt someone. or how about lets put the coach in new orleans in jail for setting a bounty.

where do we draw the line? i mean he didnt go all Kermit Washington on harden. hell Kermit only got banned for 26 games, and he completely ruined rudy t. COMPLETELY ruined rudys career.

here is a list of banned and suspended players. notice that the bulk of them are drug related.

List of players banned or suspended by the NBA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

here is a list of maybe the most notorious elbow thrower EVER mount motombo.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1956133

Old 04-23-2012, 06:27 PM

3,451 posts, read 8,149,978 times
Ron Artest/Metta World Peace should get at least 5 games for his elbow and maybe up to 10 games IMO.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:43 PM

6,286 posts, read 6,668,880 times
Looks like changing his name to Metta(loving-kindness) Worldpeace hasn't helped.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:09 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,026,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I was thinking 2 games... wasn't that big of an elbow, just hit him in the wrong spot.
Not that big of an elbow?!! He could have killed James Harden give or take a few inches. He should be banned from the game due to his reaction after seeing a man down on the floor after he felt his elbow connect with another player. His reaction as he looked back and down at Harden wasn't remorseful. His reaction was like he knew what he was doing already. Any one of us would have been arrested had we hit another human being like that or fired from our job if we did it at our work place.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:25 AM

Artest aka World Destruction was pleading his case to the referee saying he was in celebration mode and pounding his chest, but accidentaly hit Harden. That explanation alone should tell u he knew what he was doing because in the replay he pounded his chest with the right arm, but that left arm never moved at an angle to hit his chest again. The force of his left arm was directed away from his body in an elbowing motion, not towards his body in a chest pounding motion. Artest did this with intent. My theory is he really wanted to go after Perkins in his mind, but knew he would get beat up so he took his agression out on the smaller Harden. That's just my theory after seeing the play before the elbowing incident. He should be banned from the NBA now. No 3rd and 4th chances.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Nope.. Sixer fan from so long ago that it really doesn't matter...

Artest threw and elbow, not a fist.. he wasn't even looking at the other player.. just throwing an elbow.. I get that you can't throw elbows up high and Artest has a history.. so throw him out of the league.. i certainly don't care but your only doing the Lakers a favor by suspending him through the PLAYOFFs.
That elbow was more powerful than any fist he would have thrown. You didn't see how far Harden flew after that?

Old 04-24-2012, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
It doesn't look like he saw who it was unless he just saw the blue out of the corner out of his eye, but I doubt he just threw an unprovoked elbow with malice right after scoring.
If u watch the replay right after the dunk as he turns to run the other way he did briefly see who was there before he elbowed Harden. That mowhak is hard to miss even with his periphheral vision. He knew what he did. Read my last couple posts and tell me he didn't intend to do it. His reaction and body movements clearly show he had intent.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:50 AM

4,399 posts, read 9,050,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
Not that big of an elbow?!! He could have killed James Harden give or take a few inches.
Give me a freakin break!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or