U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 11:50 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,199,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super B View Post
The writer does not suggest that the 13 suspensions were all for fighting/cheap shots.

The writer suggest a 10 game suspension? You think 10 games is too many?

Wow.
if you read earlier in this thread i say (more then once i believe) that i fully expect 10 games myself.

where i say this writer is miss informed is in his numbers. he says that artest was suspended 86 games in relation to the palace brawl. this is not true, artest was suspended 73 games. his only other "lengthy" suspension was 7 games for a mater that had nothing to do with basketball what so ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 11:53 AM

51,960 posts, read 41,815,822 times
I find the NBA\Stern to be almost eerily quiet on the matter.

I don't know if that is a good or a bad thing for Artest, I'm guessing bad.

What if he'd jacked Durant in the head and the injury kept Durant out of the playoffs and OKC loses the first round.

I think stuff like this right before the playoffs carry more weight.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:02 PM

25 posts, read 27,311 times
I think Artest has had too many chances already. If I had my way, he'd be gone for good.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:35 PM

3,653 posts, read 3,881,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I find the NBA\Stern to be almost eerily quiet on the matter.
Agreed. Curiously the NBA has been very mum on this topic, as the sporting world waits for judgement day. My thought is that Artest's mental state of health is being discussed behind closed doors, and the NBA doesn't want to rush to make a decision yet without consulting doctors, lawyers, and whomever.

The NBA needs to determine if this was a case of either a malicious attack, or a mentally unstable individual committing an act not of sound mind, which will have a bearing on what action the league decides is warranted. There's a difference between Artest being 'suspended( which would suggest penalty) and being given 'time off' to be psychologically evaluated for suitability to continue playing pro Basketball. Basketball is a physical sport, and having a loose cannon on-court represents a risk factor for other players.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
if you read earlier in this thread i say (more then once i believe) that i fully expect 10 games myself.

where i say this writer is miss informed is in his numbers. he says that artest was suspended 86 games in relation to the palace brawl. this is not true, artest was suspended 73 games. his only other "lengthy" suspension was 7 games for a mater that had nothing to do with basketball what so ever.
I think you are both right depending upon semantics.

He was suspended for the rest of the season plus playoffs.
He missed 73 reg. season and 13 playoff games as a result.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Agreed. Curiously the NBA has been very mum on this topic, as the sporting world waits for judgement day. My thought is that Artest's mental state of health is being discussed behind closed doors, and the NBA doesn't want to rush to make a decision yet without consulting doctors, lawyers, and whomever.

The NBA needs to determine if this was a case of either a malicious attack, or a mentally unstable individual committing an act not of sound mind, which will have a bearing on what action the league decides is warranted. There's a difference between Artest being 'suspended( which would suggest penalty) and being given 'time off' to be psychologically evaluated for suitability to continue playing pro Basketball. Basketball is a physical sport, and having a loose cannon on-court represents a risk factor for other players.
Yeah, in the arenas situation he hit him with an indefinite suspension right out of the gate.....and then figured out the penalty.

However, the Lakers had a 4 day break between the offense and their final game (Thursday)....so we should hear something from Stern by late Wednesday.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:58 PM
JL

7,352 posts, read 11,887,058 times
The longer the wait, the more likely Artest is getting the big axe gulliotine. Usually, a decision would be made around sometime this afternoon if it was like 5 games or less. Maybe Stern is getting together with the NBA lawyers to discuss how they will proceed to void his contract, thus no statement made yet. Maybe he is contacting the players union to let them know their decision on Ron and see if the union will challenge it. Ironically, Fisher(Thunder) is one of the main guys for the players union. If Stern issues a press conference, then it would definitely be over for RonRon. The worst thing that can happen to Ron is if his entire remaining contract is voided or an indefinite suspension. I think Ron is done for these playoffs which is better than an indefinite suspension/ban. If it is an indefinite suspension then it would mean the league will decide whether to reinstate him at a later date if he is 'mentally' fit to do so. He might be required to go for counseling as part of the requirement to return.Stern is gonna retire in a couple of years. I think he wants to go out on a positive note. He has his own legacy to keep.

Btw, ESPN Analyst and former VP of the Blazers, Tom Penn, believes Artest will be suspended the rest of the playoffs.

ESPN Los Angeles LIVE - Mason & Ireland - ESPN Los Angeles

Last edited by JL; 04-24-2012 at 05:19 PM..

Old 04-24-2012, 05:21 PM

927 posts, read 1,209,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
The longer the wait, the more likely Artest is getting the big axe gulliotine. Usually, a decision would be made around sometime this afternoon if it was like 5 games or less. Maybe Stern is getting together with the NBA lawyers to discuss how they will proceed to void his contract, thus no statement made yet. Maybe he is contacting the players union to let them know their decision on Ron and see if the union will challenge it. Ironically, Fisher is one of the main guys for the players union. If Stern issues a press conference, then it would definitely be over for RonRon. The worst thing that can happen to Ron is if his entire remaining contract is voided or an indefinite suspension. I think Ron is done for these playoffs which is better than an indefinite suspension/ban. Stern is gonna retire in a couple of years. I think he wants to go out on a positive note. He has his own legacy to keep.

Btw, ESPN Analyst and former VP of the Blazers, Tom Penn, believes Artest will be suspended the rest of the playoffs.

ESPN Los Angeles LIVE - Mason & Ireland - ESPN Los Angeles
This is exactly what I said should happen. No playoffs for Artest and certainly no mercy from Stern and the NBA. It is now impossible to send any kind of message to Artest. The league now should just rid itself of this blight forever for the sake of the other players.

Last edited by bresilhac; 04-24-2012 at 05:29 PM..

Old 04-24-2012, 05:25 PM
JL

7,352 posts, read 11,887,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
This exactly what I said should happen. No playoffs for Artest and certainly no mercy from Stern and the NBA. It is now impossible to send any kind of message to Artest. The league now should just rid itself of this blight forever for the sake of the other players.
The rest of the playoffs is probably the least of his worries now. He might not be allowed back into the league until he meets certain 'requirements'. I think Stern is gonna send a message real hard because the playoffs are just around the corner. I think a player like Blake Griffin will benefit if Ron is done. He has been getting fouled hard over the season. Quite a few flagrants. I think you will see less of that in the playoffs if Stern sends a message.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:35 PM

927 posts, read 1,209,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
The rest of the playoffs is probably the least of his worries now. He might not be allowed back into the league until he meets certain 'requirements'. I think Stern is gonna send a message real hard because the playoffs are just around the corner. I think a player like Blake Griffin will benefit if Ron is done. He has been getting fouled hard over the season. Quite a few flagrants. I think you will see less of that in the playoffs if Stern sends a message.
Good point. It is the timing of the hit on Harden by Artest that is key here. Happening at the tail end of the season and right before the playoffs almost guarantees that Stern and company will notify all officials to watch for excessive force during games. Not that I am a Laker fan, certainly not, but I can see this impending suspension of Artest as destroying any hope the Lakers had of competing for a Title this postseason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or